Cool Crescent kick knockdown in Kyokushin tourney

no i said I only talk about that kick because spacetime misinterpreted what I said. The chamberless kick I was talking about in the KK book wasnt like that. You know how they show you 3 images: stance, chamber, kick extended all the way. This one was straight up like a punt. at least thats how i remember it. maybe you are right.

Punt does not mean anything to me. Its a american football thing, and Im not american. I watch real football (I dont really. its boring -which is why Im into fightsports. But its still much better than american hand-egg).
a frontkick but going straight up like a uppercut (hitting under the chin and going vertically straight up) instead of forward like a jab? that would be a "ago mae geri". in some other styles know as a "keage mae geri" (which is something else in kyokushin terminology -basically a beginner leg stretching drill kick not intended for fighting)

(shotokan version. only vid I found that shows both versions and explains the difference)

yeah thats exactly it. used to work well when I used to do muay thai. I don't know why I did it that way. Probably just instinct after all those years of kicking in tsd/shotokan . lol maybe i saw it in an old 70s kung fu movie.

OK, its mae geri keage in kyokushin. It is a drill kick, the kind you do many, MANY times for each step, as warmup. It is not intended for fighting, and I have never seen anyone hit anything but air with it.

Ive heard a few people I think who did full contact karate back in the 70s 80s that you could not chamber the kick so they wouldnt see it coming. God I wish I could remember who i heard say that. They said it meant they couldnt see it coming or something. I know they do it in kung fu and I used to watch alot of old 70s kung fu movies. I know i got it from there. Maybe i found it a little faster or better range and range movtion and thats why I did it.

Yeah but to make one thing clear, it's not an unchambered front kick. A front kicks trajectory (chambered or not) is vertical. The rising kicks trajectory is a straight pipe upwards.

OK, its mae geri keage in kyokushin. It is a drill kick, the kind you do many, MANY times for each step, as warmup. It is not intended for fighting, and I have never seen anyone hit anything but air with it.

Same in TaeKwonDo. Never heard of an instructor emphasizing it as a fighting technique.

Punt does not mean anything to me. Its a american football thing, and Im not american. I watch real football (I dont really. its boring -which is why Im into fightsports. But its still much better than american hand-egg).
a frontkick but going straight up like a uppercut (hitting under the chin and going vertically straight up) instead of forward like a jab? that would be a "ago mae geri". in some other styles know as a "keage mae geri" (which is something else in kyokushin terminology -basically a beginner leg stretching drill kick not intended for fighting)

(shotokan version. only vid I found that shows both versions and explains the difference)

Interesting. The Kyokushin way of executing a front kick (first part of the video), is the DO-NOT instruction in ITF TaeKwonDo. The front kick is supposed to thrust forward in ITF, not snap.

ooh, karate thread!

bf898903_willgrace-jackclosingdoor.gif

ooh, spacetime posts!

im-out-gif-7.gif

From a JKD lens, I see economy of motion, feints, and double lead leg kicking. This would work for me even as a JKD fighter. I'm taking this. Thank you.

Back