cops committed armed robberies, home invasions; had BB guns to plant on unarmed citizens

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-gttf-opening-statements-20180123-story.html

The video opens with a group of Baltimore police officers prying open a safe, revealing thick stacks of cash held together by two rubber bands each.

They call to their sergeant, Wayne Jenkins, who instructs the group not to touch anything and to keep the camera rolling — he wanted this one done by the book.

Except, Detective Maurice Ward testified Tuesday, the officers already had pocketed half the $200,000 they found inside the safe before the recording started, after taking a man’s keys during a traffic stop and entering his home without a warrant. It was one of many illegal tactics Ward saidthe officers used as they chased guns and drugs across the city while skimming proceeds for themselves.

Ward is one of four detectives from the police department’s defunct Gun Trace Task Force who have pleaded guilty and are expected to testify at the trial of two fellow officers, Daniel Hersl and Marcus Taylor, which began with opening statements Tuesday.

Ward’s testimony outlined astonishing, everyday misconduct: The officers would drive up on groups of men, slam on the brakes and pop open their doors, for no reason other than to see if anyone would run. Those who fled were pursued, detained and searched. Jenkins profiled so-called “dope boy cars” — cars he believed were likely to be driven by drug dealers — and pulled them over under invented circumstances.

“The Gun Trace Task Force wasn’t a unit that went rogue,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Leo Wise told jurors Tuesday morning. “It was a unit of officers who had already gone rogue.”

Wise, holding up the badges and guns that belonged to Hersl and Taylor, said the officers’ success in the police department was judged by their ability to get drugs and guns. Within that work, which often included cutting corners, they took advantage of “crimes of opportunity,” Wise said.

“They were, simply put, both cops and robbers at the same time,” Wise said.

Ward’s testimony portrayed Jenkins, his supervisor, as the key to most of the bad behavior. Jenkins, who also pleaded guilty in the case, authorized large sums of unearned overtime pay, with officers often starting their shifts after their scheduled ones ended, then racking up a dozen hours’ overtime. At Jenkins’ instruction, Ward said, they kept BB guns on hand in case they hit someone or got into a shootout and needed to plant one on someone. He did not say whether that ever occurred.

As a squad, they roamed the city conducting “door pops,” which involved driving at groups to see who would run, Ward testified. Jenkins drove the wrong way down one-way streets, hoping to catch people off guard, and instructed officers to stop men over the age of 18 who had backpacks. Ward said Jenkins surmised that men that age were likely to have no reason to carry a backpack other than to transport illicit items.

In his opening statement, Wise acknowledged that some of the victims were admitted drug dealers. He said that doesn’t matter: “Police can’t rob drug dealers.”

Purpura said some officers charged in the case had committed robberies, breaking into homes and pointing guns at people. He said Hersl’s crimes were different, “crime of dishonesty, and of stealth.”

He said the officers’ overtime “was given with a wink and a nod, right up the chain of command, as long as we can say you’re getting guns off the streets of Baltimore City.”

“We’re here because the U.S. government, the ‘twin towers’ of justice, overcharged in this case,” said Purpura, referring to a nickname given to Wise and Assistant U.S. Attorney Derek Hines due to their height. “The government lumped Daniel Hersl’s wrong conduct — there’s no excuse for it — into a racketeering enterprise where other officers actually did commit robberies, drug trafficking and extortion.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-hendrix-gttf-day-3-story.html

As the hard-charging supervisor of a Baltimore police gun unit was spearheading increasingly bold crimes, he was a “golden boy” viewed as “untouchable” within the department, two convicted officers from his unit testified Monday.

While that supervisor, Sgt. Wayne Jenkins, pleaded guilty in the federal racketeering case earlier this year, he continues to loom large at the trial of Gun Trace Task Force detectives Daniel Hersl and Marcus Taylor. Two other gun unit officers, who also pleaded guilty in the case, are cooperating with the government and testified that their stealing from suspects and abuse of overtime escalated at Jenkins’ direction.

“Pretty much any individuals we came across, if they had large sums of money, money was being taken,” former Det. Jemell Rayam testified Monday.

Another former detective, Evodio Hendrix, said he wanted to leave the task force by early 2017. He said Jenkins proposed a high-stakes robbery and showed members of his squad two large black bags — one stuffed with masks and black clothing, the other with tools that included a sledgehammer, a machete, an axe and lock cutters, as well as a grappling hook and rope.

Hendrix testified that Jenkins told the officers that he carried the items “in case he ran into a ‘monster,’ ” or someone with a lot of money and drugs.

Hendrix said he and the other officers concluded: “Sergeant Jenkins is crazy.”

The defense has sought to portray the police department as under pressure from the crime spike that followed the 2015 rioting, with the agency tacitly endorsing whatever-it-takes tactics for its high producers such as the officers on the gun task force. In earlier testimony, another detective testified that the officers were awarded an achievement pin by Deputy Commissioner Dean Palmere.

When he was working for Jenkins, Rayam said, the officers recovered a pound and a half of marijuana and a gun in a search conducted before they had secured a warrant. Jenkins told him to “just get rid of it,” and Rayam said he and another officer sold the drugs and gun back onto the street.

Rayam also outlined two off-duty home invasions he was involved with, and said the unit made regular use of illegal GPS trackers to follow suspects. Rayam said he would tell a judge he had personally observed the target’s movements when it came time to swear out an affidavit for a search warrant.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...gttf-testimony-highlights-20180126-story.html

» In one incident, police took a man’s house keys, ran his name through databases to find his address, went into the home without a warrant and found drugs and a safe. The officers cracked open the safe, which had about $200,000 inside. They took $100,000 out, closed the safe back up, then filmed themselves pretending to open it for the first time. “Nobody touch anything,” Jenkins can be heard saying on the video, which was played for jurors.

» After the man’s arrest, Jenkins listened to the man’s calls made from jail. He was discussing the officers taking his money, and said he wanted to hire a good lawyer to go after them. Ward said Jenkins determined the man’s wife was arranging his legal matters, and wanted to cut her out. They wrote a note purporting to be from another woman, saying the man had gotten her pregnant, and left it in the man’s door, Ward said.

» Later, Ward said Jenkins contacted him about wanting to rob the man again. They met at an apartment, where Jenkins and Hersl sipped Twisted Teas and discussed a robbery. Another time, he proposed a different robbery, and showed the officers a large black bag that was full of balaclava ski masks, black clothing and shoes. Another bag contained tools such as a crow bar, battering ram, and a rope with a grappling hook. “I didn’t understand that part,” Ward said of the grappling hook. Both bags were emptied out for jurors in the courtroom.

Ward said Taylor had a “source” in internal affairs who informed them that their overtime was being investigated and their phones and vehicles were being tracked. He also said that Jenkins told them that a sergeant named Ryan Guinn had informed Jenkins that federal agents investigating two of their colleagues had visited him.

The FBI had a microphone hidden inside a Baltimore Police vehicle when members of the Gun Trace Task Force fled the scene of a crash.

More info at the links above. I only posted half the content of each article and it's all insane. It's basically the plot of a TV cop show after everyone in the writer's room did a ton of coke. (Also, I only posted the juicy stuff. I didn't even touch on all the overtime fraud they committed, all the lies they told in order to get warrants on random people, and all the other basic abuses of their power.)

this is like straight out of the Shield or some ish

also much of these recent LEO stories aren't exactly going far to dispel the myth that people on powertrips become Police Officers, no offense to any real LEO here

That's Baltimore for ya.

One wonders why TS isn't burning and looting Baltimore to the ground?

That'll show evil law enforcement.

What would you have liked me to do differently in crafting the OP? You sound unhappy about it.

Anyway, can dirty cops and lock them up for a long time. It won't satiate the blood lust but it's the right thing to do.

Are you really white knight'ing Baltimore cops?

I'm white knighting Joseph-post-a-ton-of-threads-highlighting-everything-bad-about-America take a break from posting threads for awhile.

Anyway, can dirty cops and lock them up for a long time. It won't satiate the blood lust but it's the right thing to do.
Do you hate cops?
caf.gif

this is like straight out of the Shield or some ish

also much of these recent LEO stories aren't exactly going far to dispel the myth that people on powertrips become Police Officers, no offense to any real LEO here

Pedophiles get jobs that puts them close to children.

Why is it surprising that bullies, racists and sociopaths within the civilian population enter Law Enforcement.

And even the average person can behave like an asshole when they know they won't be held accountable.

This is not to say most cops are bad apples; just saying that a lot of bad apples in society will gravitate towards the profession because of the power it affords them.

I'm white knighting Joseph-post-a-ton-of-threads-highlighting-everything-bad-about-America take a break from posting threads for awhile.

How many threads are too many? Do you calculate it per week or per month? Do you know how many I start per week or per month? Or do you just go on feelings?

So you only want me to post things highlighting the good things about America? Does anyone else do that in the War Room? If so, can you provide recent examples of the kind of threads that meet your criteria?

people love to complain, not many willingly give props it's just human nature especially when we live such 'easy' lifestyles compared to historic precedents

source: every customer service response form ever
edit: i'm referring to the tone of Threads in the WR, not cops being shady

people love to complain, not many willingly give props it's just human nature especially when we live such 'easy' lifestyles compared to historic precedents

source: every customer service response form ever
edit: i'm referring to the tone of Threads in the WR, not cops being shady

The funny thing is I've also started threads praising cops. I can think of two off the top of my head, which is probably two more than the people complaining about me.

The funny thing is I've also started threads praising cops. I can think of two off the top of my head, which is probably two more than the people complaining about me.
i think i've figured out the cop thing, granted this is just spitballing

but the vast vast majority of people never have positive interactions w/ cops. Barring major cities, 'beatcops' aren't really a thing anymore so the only time you ever deal w/ them is being pulled over. Unless you're a criminal or constant victim of crime but that's not the average person

Nobody i've ever met sees a cop behind them, and goes 'hell yeah, keep protecting and serving'. Even if you know you aren't speeding or whatnot, people still generally check the speedometer/seatbelt/whatever even if they know they're good.

And when you realize that's largely just to produce revenues for that jurisdiction, and doesn't do much to deter actual crime.....

It's why people like fireman, all they do is help people

i think i've figured out the cop thing, granted this is just spitballing

but the vast vast majority of people never have positive interactions w/ cops. Barring major cities, 'beatcops' aren't really a thing anymore so the only time you ever deal w/ them is being pulled over. Unless you're a criminal or constant victim of crime but that's not the average person

Nobody i've ever met sees a cop behind them, and goes 'hell yeah, keep protecting and serving'. Even if you know you aren't speeding or whatnot, people still generally check the speedometer/seatbelt/whatever even if they know they're good.

And when you realize that's largely just to produce revenues for that jurisdiction, and doesn't do much to deter actual crime.....

It's why people like fireman, all they do is help people

I think you're right.

I know a lot of people who have had bad interactions with cops, but I've only had one negative experience and it was basically her being pissy. I've been pretty lucky in that regard because a bad cop has the ability to ruin lives. And when I start threads critical of cops they're always either about cops ruining people's lives or the system ruining people's lives. I know the people criticizing me can usually get behind the second sentiment.

Back