Copycat (1995) - Anyone seen this movie?

G

Guestx

So the other day I was reading some shit where this person was arguing that movies with men leading will almost always do better than movies with women leading, even if the story is in the same genre.

One of the examples used was Copycat. The synopsis:

Deeply shaken after being assaulted by a deranged man, Dr. Helen Hudson must face her fears if she is to help solve a series of murders. Helen is a psychologist who has studied serial killers, but this case, in which the crimes seem modeled on the work of infamous deviants, is grimmer than most. With the help of two San Francisco police officers, Helen tries to come between the murderer and his next victim.

The film stars Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter, and the author was saying that the only reason Seven made $327 million, but Copycat only made $32 million, is because the two leads in Seven are men while in Copycat the women take center stage.

This intrigued me enough that I watched Copycat last night. First off, I'll go ahead and put this out there: It's not as good as Seven. Seven is a masterpiece and this film does not rise up to that level. But with that said, I did enjoy the film and having now seen it, I do think it should've gotten more attention than it did.

It seems to have been a movie that just came and went with few people taking notice, so that makes me wonder, has anyone here seen it?

Harry Connick Jr best performance IMO

I didn't even recognize him. After I watched the movie I looked it up on IMDB and saw that he was in it and was like, "No shit."

He was also really good in Bug. The dude legit knows how to act.

One of those films I remember enjoying a lot but can't remember much about.

Agree with the Harry Connick comments though. Some really sleazy villians in this piece. Sigourney didn't seem to enjoy being hanged. That scene was really splendidly excecuted. The movie overall is really neat visually... as the trailer made me remember.:p

400px-CopySmith1.jpg

Copycat-Murder-1200x498.jpg

Agree with the Harry Connick comments though. Some really sleazy villians in this piece. Sigourney didn't seem to enjoy being hanged. That scene was really splendidly excecuted. The movie overall is really neat visually... as the trailer made me remember.:p

400px-CopySmith1.jpg

Copycat-Murder-1200x498.jpg

I'll give handsome Harry Connick credit for allowing himself to be made up to look ugly and snaggletoothed.

Regarding the visuals, yes, the visual style stood out to me as well. In a lot of ways the movie looks quite dated--very much a movie of its time--but I really liked that. It definitely FEELS like an early-to-mid 90s movie and it's always fun to go back and re-live that time period. The film is almost like a time capsule in that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same sentiment. Don't really remember most of it but I liked the movie well enough.

I saw it in the theater and a time or two after. I don't recall much, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

interesting that you would mention this movie, i was looking for it a few months back on Netflix, but to no avail. :(

Same sentiment. Don't really remember most of it but I liked the movie well enough.

I saw it in the theater and a time or two after. I don't recall much, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

interesting that you would mention this movie, i was looking for it a few months back on Netflix, but to no avail. :(

Y'all should all rewatch it and then we'll discuss it.

Big Sloppy, I'm sure you can find it somewhere within the vast reaches of the Internet.

Y'all should all rewatch it and then we'll discuss it.

Big Sloppy, I'm sure you can find it somewhere within the vast reaches of the Internet.

HAHA, I had forgotten that i was looking for it, until you brought it up just now. I'll have to definitely search it out so i can watch it next time i have the day off. :)

I vaguely remember it. It was something about Harry Connick's character obsession with the song Murder By Numbers by the Police

Definitely the high point for Jon "The Core" Amiel.

I remember finding it pretty hilarious when William McNamara does his hick Harry Connick impression for a few seconds near the end.

Last edited:
I own it. Last watched it couple years ago. Pretty solid movie imo. Worth a watch

YES! I saw this movie at my aunt's house when I was a child because my cousin kept talking about it. Great film.

What an odd timing!!!

I was listening to this song yesterday which appeared in the movie:

Definitely the high point for Jon "The Core" Amiel.

LOL, damn, I had no idea it was by the same dude who did The Core. That's kind of crazy. Copycat is definitely >>>>> The Core.

I see he also made Entrapment. I remember being hyped for that movie and then finding it disappointing.

LOL, damn, I had no idea it was by the same dude who did The Core. That's kind of crazy. Copycat is definitely >>>>> The Core.

I see he also made Entrapment. I remember being hyped for that movie and then finding it disappointing.

Yeah, Entrapment was pretty bad. But I could tell it was going to be mediocre at best and didn't expect much. I just kind of watched it out of respect for Connery.

Copycat was decent, but I think there was room for improvement in the way it was done. It felt more like a TV movie than it should have.

Yeah, Entrapment was pretty bad. But I could tell it was going to be mediocre at best and didn't expect much. I just kind of watched it out of respect for Connery.

Copycat was decent, but I think there was room for improvement in the way it was done. It felt more like a TV movie than it should have.

Not sure I'd outright say Entrapment was bad. More that it was just kind of mediocre. Maybe a 6/10. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking it looked great so I had high expectations.

As for Copycat, I really did enjoy it, but as I said in the OP it's not on the level of something like Seven. Copycat I'd probably give a 7.5/10. Like I mentioned to europe1 earlier, I really liked how it FEELS like a movie of its time. I thought that was very nostalgic.

Honestly, I think Copycat is kind of a hidden gem. It's rare that I run across a decades-old film that I feel that way about, but in this case I really felt like I discovered something cool.

Not sure I'd outright say Entrapment was bad. More that it was just kind of mediocre. Maybe a 6/10. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking it looked great so I had high expectations.

As for Copycat, I really did enjoy it, but as I said in the OP it's not on the level of something like Seven. Copycat I'd probably give a 7.5/10. Like I mentioned to europe1 earlier, I really liked how it FEELS like a movie of its time. I thought that was very nostalgic.

Honestly, I think Copycat is kind of a hidden gem. I wish I could find more movies like that.

I'm really not very nostalgic about the look of mid-90s movies, so that's not really a selling point for me.

Se7en came out the same year and has a look that should hold up in any era.

I'm really not very nostalgic about the look of mid-90s movies, so that's not really a selling point for me.

Se7en came out the same year and has a look that should hold up in any era.

Oh, I love that shit. That's also a big part of my attraction to The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Some movies from that time period don't necessarily FEEL like they are of that time. Seven, as you mentioned, doesn't feel particularly 90s. The Rock is another movie from around that time that I don't feel looks like it necessarily came from that time.

But with some films you can really feel it and I always dig it when that's the case.

Back