Cormier: Brock Lesnar will ‘be the last fight of my career’

Is it really necessary to have this farce fight as a title fight? I'm not denying the money & entertainment aspect of a fight like this I question the legitimacy of a fight like this. Brock is coming off a suspension and waltzing into a HW title with no real fight life in mma and as scant as HW may be at this time they're real legitimate HW's fighting for their bread & butter, and a man who already as the bread, butter, & jam to waltz into the top spot on name and faux wrestling rep.

Why not have him fight a Blaydes first as a qualifier to a belt and give it somewhat of a legitimate look. If Brock is really back let him fight his way back even if it's just one qualifier fight.

The article says he wants to defend his belt at 205, then 1 last fight at HW vs Lesnar. Though I"m not impressed he asked for Shogun (love Shogun but in 2018 he's not a elite LHW anymore). I think he shouldn't even bother trying to cut down to LHW anymore, he should fight Volkov (top 3 HW, legit threat) then Lesnar. Though I think Volkov is high risk, low reward (not a huge name), but it would add a lot of legitimacy to his HW legacy

Duck parade ? WTF are you talking about man ?
He is fucking 40, and ten years past his physical prime..
Why should he go on fighting and getting punched in the head (if he managed to get enough financial security) instead of hanging them and solidifying his legacy ?
What you are saying makes ZERO sense..

He is not a young lion anymore. What do you expect him to do ? Fight till 45 until he loses in devastating fashion and people say it ruins his legacy and he was never good to begin with..
Seriously people on this board need to give fighter a break.. Calling the only LHW who manned up and fought the best HW champ ( at least as far as stats go ) and squashed him a duck.. Now I've seen it all..
he started late, so not a long career, and is fighting at HW when you can fight into your 40s. he takes the HW belt, then declares 'i'll fight a pro wrestler and then i'll retire." that would be a duck, dude.

TS either didn't read the article or didn't comprehend it. He doesn't say Lesnar is the only fight left in his career. He said nothing about vacating the LHW belt. In fact, he specifically mentions the fact that he has the LHW belt to defend.

Looks like Bonesey finally made him learn his place

tumblr_nhno82LfVq1u2ragso1_500.gif

<JonesDXSuckIt><DCrying>
Bones sure did show him his place. As the champ, because Jones cannot help but cheat. Who knows if he can beat Daniel clean.

Make a quick few million... then keep coaching. Nothing wrong with that. Not his fault the UFC doesn't have a mandatory contender.

Originally mentioned that he’d have at least 2 fights left in him, it looks like Cormier will settle for his retirement fight with Lesnar at HW.

Looks like he’ll be done with 205 and that title be up for grabs. It’ll be the same for the HW belt if Lesnar somehow makes it past USADA and Cormier gets his easy payday and rides off into the sunset as the double-champ.

Nah. DC fights in between now and his Lesnar fight. The Lesnar fight isn't happening till at least January. If Shogun wins, you can bet DC will fight him prior.

I would like to see DC vacate the LHW Championship if this is the truth.

<DC-Champ>

We'll always have this.

lesnar_vs_cormier.jpg

Originally mentioned that he’d have at least 2 fights left in him, it looks like Cormier will settle for his retirement fight with Lesnar at HW.

Looks like he’ll be done with 205 and that title be up for grabs. It’ll be the same for the HW belt if Lesnar somehow makes it past USADA and Cormier gets his easy payday and rides off into the sunset as the double-champ.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/7/...lesnar-last-fight-career-heavyweight-mma-news

It seems you missed when he noted that as Lesnar will only be able to compete next year, he is willing to defend his 205 belt before it.
Then again, he asked (if I recall) for Rua... which makes no sense...

Good. Then go have a great life.

No sense hanging around too long. He’s had a storybook career. Nothing left to accomplish. Cash the check and enjoy the rest of your life

Cormier deserves this. Just look at how many people shit on anderson silva after he passed 40. Fighting old can ruin your legacy.

Well, i guess i'll be rooting for brock. There's a 1st time for everything.

how the fuck can he justify wanting to defend the title against shogun?? as shogun fan, of course i would love to see him win the title, but he's nowhere near a title shot.

definitely hope dc takes an L his last fight.
Agreed, but Shogun deserves a title shot way more than Lesner. At least he has been winning fights!

he started late, so not a long career, and is fighting at HW when you can fight into your 40s. he takes the HW belt, then declares 'i'll fight a pro wrestler and then i'll retire." that would be a duck, dude.

He wrestled his whole life , that takes its toll on your body too.
But please care to elaborate and list the heavyweights ( of post 80's eras ) who had decent run over 40 in MMA, or even boxing ( which is a different sport and will allow a HW of big frame to last a bit longer ) ?
I'd be willing to bet you'll be able to name none without Google, who aren't named either pre USADA Randy or Big George Foreman, because there are none.
Only other that comes to mind is Vitaly Klitschko but he only fought 3 fights past 40 and retired at 41.
A few like Holyfield and Holmes still fought past 40 too, but out of any relevancy.
Only MMA fighters that had some kind of success north of 40 are TRT Hendo and TRT Randy, and now with reinforced drug testing it's even less probable to see someone past 40 become anything more than a mid tier or bottom top 10 fighter at best

Back