Cornette commenting on his invention of Hell In A Cell Matches

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score

Which even Russo admits (though he says that he thought the name up.)

The thread title is messed up. Jim commented that a Hell in a Cell match shouldn't lead off a ppv.

Ha I can see somebody pitching a stupid idea and Corbett’s going off the rails and saying something sarcastic like “Yeah and while we’re at it let’s put them in a steel cage with a top on it, you fucking moron!” And Vince going “That’s a FANTASTIC IDEA!”

HIAC is overused. Id like to see it used more for high spots and at marquee ppv's and less for Roman Reigns borderline squash matches.

Reading how does it work.

Cornette both says he invented HIAC and also that he didn’t expect it to be a shit curtain jerker.

Ha I can see somebody pitching a stupid idea and Corbett’s going off the rails and saying something sarcastic like “Yeah and while we’re at it let’s put them in a steel cage with a top on it, you fucking moron!” And Vince going “That’s a FANTASTIC IDEA!”

Cage matches were a great southern rassling tradition.

HIAC is overused. Id like to see it used more for high spots and at marquee ppv's and less for Roman Reigns borderline squash matches.

Yeah. I've had issue with it before but, this past year, I've seen numerous podcasts and articles about how they've devalued it.

Is your issue the match itself, or where it was put?
The match itself was good(Outside of the botched finish which definitely hurt it). But it definitely devalues the appeal of the cell. Mind you as soon as it had a ppv devoted to it guaranteeing an annual cell match it devalued it.

giphy.gif

This is how you do the Cell

The match itself was good(Outside of the botched finish which definitely hurt it). But it definitely devalues the appeal of the cell. Mind you as soon as it had a ppv devoted to it guaranteeing an annual cell match it devalued it.

HiC should end an intense feud....brutally

And as much as Joe vs AJ was the only feud deserving the Cell, I'm glad this program is going on longer, and we can still get HiC....

But!

Lack of blood or a big bump is bullshit

I don't think anybody likes it as a gimmick ppv.

As far as match placement goes with the given card, I'm not sure where else they could put it. If they insist on multiple ones a night they have to space them out well, which I think they did as best they could.

HiC should end an intense feud....brutally
Agreed. Modern Hiac booking just feels like an attempt to fill their yearly match gimmick quota since it has a annual ppv dedicated to it. Strowman and Reigns was a plausible booking as they've had a storied destructive feud(albeit the end of the cell match was total shit). But Randy vs Jeff just wasn't storied enough at all. Like I get it Jeff wanted one before retiring. But still felt forced. Maybe i'm just salty Randy's botch really took the wind out of the sails of what was otherwise actually a surprisingly decent cell match between the two. But it just felt like there wasn't enough history there.

I don't think anybody likes it as a gimmick ppv.

As far as match placement goes with the given card, I'm not sure where else they could put it. If they insist on multiple ones a night they have to space them out well, which I think they did as best they could.
Yeah I think that's the problem with it feeling forced. Having it as a named ppv almost forces you to have more than 1 of them per card. And without there being proper fued build up for all the cell matches involved they just won't feel right on the card no matter where you put them. Just hard for it to remain special when you can set your calendar to it basically.

And as much as Joe vs AJ was the only feud deserving the Cell, I'm glad this program is going on longer, and we can still get HiC....

But!

Lack of blood or a big bump is bullshit

I don’t think you need a big bump every time the cell is down. It waters it down after awhile

A good match with some decent spots inside is enough. I wouldn’t go overboard wit the huge bumps.

Sean vs Taker if I remember correctly was incredible and they didn’t do huge spots either.

I don’t think you need a big bump every time the cell is down. It waters it down after awhile

A good match with some decent spots inside is enough. I wouldn’t go overboard wit the huge bumps.

Sean vs Taker if I remember correctly was incredible and they didn’t do huge spots either.
Shawn falling off halfway down was a HUGE spot at the time.

Back