Correlation between attempted guillotines and losing fights?

GreatWhiteBuffalo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the guillotine will soon become obsolete in the same way the armbar has. It seems like so many attempts end up not finishing, in poor position, losing the round, and having gassed out arms. Even only very rocked opponents it seems like a poor choice. Any sort of database for that info?

I don’t agree that armbars are obsolete. Unlike armbars though, guillotine attempts don’t usually risk losing position. Yeah you can gas your arms, but most experienced fighters know when to crank and when to give it up.

I can’t think of a whole lot of recent fights where going for a guillotine bit someone in the ass

I lost a ton of jiu jitsu matches due to failed guillotines

Once I got my blue belt i started finishing them.

to make matters worse, judges seem to give points to fighters for surviving guillotines (e.g. Sanchez/ Fitch)

I don’t agree that armbars are obsolete. Unlike armbars though, guillotine attempts don’t usually risk losing position. Yeah you can gas your arms, but most experienced fighters know when to crank and when to give it up.

I can’t think of a whole lot of recent fights where going for a guillotine bit someone in the ass

Miocic vs overeem. If overreem didnt go for that choke he would've been UFC heavyweight champ IMO.

Miocic vs overeem. If overreem didnt go for that choke he would've been UFC heavyweight champ IMO.
That is a good example and it was a very odd choice Reem made in the heat of the moment.

Overeem seems to do it in every fight after he rocks his opponent instead of going for the tko.

watch alan belcher-okami. Its about as a low fight iq as you will ever see in your life

No one does it like CM Punk.

giphy.gif

Guilltine attempts risk losing position if fighters pull guard.

Armbars can be landed from bottom as well, only risk losing guard.

They are both solid tactics at the right time in fights

Back