Could Sakuraba be conpetitive with modern Welterweights?

It would be, he was very good, look what he did in the Galesic fight, he could even be the champion.

I didn’t say he was a punching bag or that he lost every fight. I specifically noted Vitor was inconsistent.

Saku has some decent wins but plenty of losses to top fighters back in Pride. He certainly deserves praise for taking on larger opponents but it doesn’t change the outcome. He was smoked by Wand, lost to Arona, Crocop, Nog, Antonio Schembri, Royce, etc.

Prime Saku just wouldn’t be at the top today. The fighters are well conditioned, bigger, have better technique. I like the guy but he’s not a world beater.
Arona was elite 205er and as I recall one of wand fights was pretty close, loss to Royce was controversial and Saku was way past prime, wasn't Royce on the roids?

He wouldn't beat one guy in the top 30. At any weight class today. And let me tell you something else, he wouldn't have even beaten any top guys post-Gracies if he wasn't being helped by the Yakuza backstage. The Sakuraba myth is only being held alive by a nostalgic, aging segment of online-MMA.

Well you are stupid

Depends who you're talking about.

Could he beat some Welterweights on the UFC roster? Yes.

Could he beat anyone ranked? I don't think I'd favour him over any ranked fighter but he was a crafty finisher on the mat, so he always has a chance of snagging an arm or a leg.

Depends who you're talking about.

Could he beat some Welterweights on the UFC roster? Yes.

Could he beat anyone ranked? I don't think I'd favour him over any ranked fighter but he was a crafty finisher on the mat, so he always has a chance of snagging an arm or a leg.

Ranked WWs in the UFC in recent times include Medeiros, Perry or Musoke, just to name a few. Sakuraba in his best shape would certainly have a good chance against these guys.

Back