Could the UFC's own goal in the UK provide a golden opportunity to Bellator?

Late Starter

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
For those who aren't aware, the UFC is about to abandon a popular TV platform in the UK (BT Sports) and move to a new channel I've never even heard of that hasn't even got an official launch date.

Judging from Twitter, a lot of people - like me - won't be paying for this new service but may there now be an opening for Bellator? Perhaps even in conjuction with a proven winner like Eddie Hearn?

The UFC's loyal UK fanbase has been rewarded with nothing but shit cards for years. Would not be surprised if bellator takes over there.

For those who aren't aware, the UFC is about to abandon a popular TV platform in the UK (BT Sports) and move to a new channel I've never even heard of that hasn't even got an official launch date.

Judging from Twitter, a lot of people - like me - won't be paying for this new service but may there now be an opening for Bellator? Perhaps even in conjuction with a proven winner like Eddie Hearn?
The new channel is getting most of the suff BT Sport had, so its RIP BT Sport

The ufc developed then abandoned a viable market. Bellator saw this and is now attempting to fill a the void. The UK has some solid smaller promotions, but the problem lies there. They are small.

Ufc goes once or twice a year to the UK, and usually with dog shit cards.

Bellator is really trying to conquer that market. They have signed a ton of talent from and around that region. They will have UK exclusive events (challenger-esque if you will) and they will hold more of their bigger shows over there as well, from what I’ve read.

Also, It appears that Bellator, not the ufc, has the single biggest mma fight that can be made in the U.K. in Mvp vs Daley.

Till is growing in popularity, but there is no b side that would create awesome buzz across the pond.

Bellator does seem poised to take a large chunk of the UK audience.

Am I wrong? any U.K. fans want to chime in? Is Daley/mvp the biggest mma fight that could be made atm?

Last edited:
Im from London and I'd love to see Daley v MVP

I'd love to see Daley knock MVP spark out

The UFC are morons with how they treat the UK market

The new channel is getting most of the suff BT Sport had, so its RIP BT Sport

They're not getting the important stuff (eg premier league and Champions league or even premiership rugby). Just the filler.

Very few people will pay subscription solely for Spanish or Italian football - or for ufc for that matter.

So it's more a case of rip ufc as far as mass market appeal in the UK goes.

The ufc developed then abandoned a viable market. Bellator saw this and is now attempting to fill a the void. The UK has some solid smaller promotions, but the problem lies there. They are small.

Ufc goes ones or two a year to the UK, and usually with dog shit cards.

Bellator is really trying to conquer that market. They have signed a ton of talent from and around that region. They will have UK exclusive events (challenger-esque if you will) and they will hold more of their bigger shows over there as well, from what I’ve read.

Also, It appears that Bellator, not the ufc, has the single biggest mma fight that can be made in the U.K. in Mvp vs Daley.

Till is growing in popularity, but there is no b side that would create awesome buzz across the pond.

Bellator does seem poised to take a large chunk of the UK audience.

Am I wrong? any U.K. fans want to chime in? Is Daley/mvp the biggest mma fight that could be made atm?

You're probably about right - Till-Lloyd is the closest thing the UFC can offer and there's no buzz around during that matchup at all.

The one thing that could put Bellator 'over' is a partnership with Eddie Hearn. If one person could really light the flame here and bring events like Page-Daly to the masses it's him.

I doubt it will have much impact on the UFC.

Fans of MMA are going to seek out the best MMA has to offer and that is the UFC. Part of the reason why the UK has probably been getting weaker cards from the UFC is the time zone difference. We don't know the ins and outs of UFC's TV deal with FOX or the new ESPN+/ESPN. Part of that might have been only "X" amount of shows can be tape delayed or shown live at 2PM in the afternoon. FOX paid a lot of money for the UFC programming and I don't think they'd be happy about a bunch of 2PM cards. So the UFC has probably been playing a balancing act with many parts of the world over the last 7 years or so.

I won't expect much from Bellator. Shit, take the last 10 Bellator events you have about 2 or 3 that are even decent cards and the rest is rubbish by today's MMA standards. UK challenger series they plan on doing isn't going to draw that well. I think fans of MMA (at least the masses) have moved on from "growing talent" kind of events. Sure us hard cores don't mind, but we are small percentage.

I doubt it will have much impact on the UFC.

Fans of MMA are going to seek out the best MMA has to offer and that is the UFC. Part of the reason why the UK has probably been getting weaker cards from the UFC is the time zone difference. We don't know the ins and outs of UFC's TV deal with FOX or the new ESPN+/ESPN. Part of that might have been only "X" amount of shows can be tape delayed or shown live at 2PM in the afternoon. FOX paid a lot of money for the UFC programming and I don't think they'd be happy about a bunch of 2PM cards. So the UFC has probably been playing a balancing act with many parts of the world over the last 7 years or so.

I won't expect much from Bellator. Shit, take the last 10 Bellator events you have about 2 or 3 that are even decent cards and the rest is rubbish by today's MMA standards. UK challenger series they plan on doing isn't going to draw that well. I think fans of MMA (at least the masses) have moved on from "growing talent" kind of events. Sure us hard cores don't mind, but we are small percentage.

Bellator has put on better cards in the UK and doing copromotions with BAMMA allowed mass audiences to enjoy both orgs and fighters.The UK has some great fans they aren't just casuals they appreciate good fights and bellator has done a better job making their presence felt in that region.Bellator has had more issues with live shows in the UK but they also have WAY MORE broadcasting partners to appease and deal with.The UFC has neglected the UK bigtime.

Bellator will continue to do more events there and will feature UK talent not just guys like Daley and MVP but also all the BAMMA champs that signed with bellator.The western Euro series will showcase local and regional talent to be promoted to the big show and I think the fans will get behind the fighters.

It's too early to tell but I think they have a very good chance of succeeding in the UK and Europe with the direction they are going and the direction the UFC is going.

Bellator has the cooperation of multiple orgs in the region they will find some good talent for sure and add in the failing Russian market it all is looking pretty good talent wise.

They only have small regional orgs in the area so when bellator comes they bring the big show feel and fans appreciate the effort. With the DAZN streaming service it will only help ppl who can't get live content and the packages they offer outside the USA are excellent they will see success outside the US market for sure the prices are super affordable and the content is excellent.

Last edited:
Bellator has put on better cards in the UK and doing copromotions with BAMMA allowed mass audiences to enjoy both orgs and fighters.The UK has some great fans they aren't just casuals they appreciate good fights and bellator has done a better job making their presence felt in that region.

Bellator will continue to do more events there and will feature UK talent not just guys like Daley and MVP but also all the BAMMA champs that signed with bellator.The western Euro series will showcase local and regional talent to be promoted to the big show and I think the fans will get behind the fighters.

It's too early to tell but I think they have a very good chance of succeeding in the UK and Europe with the direction they are going and the direction the UFC is going.

Bellator has the cooperation of multiple orgs in the region they will find some good talent for sure and add in the failing Russian market it all is looking pretty good talent wise.

They only have small regional orgs in the area so when bellator comes they bring the big show feel and fans appreciate the effort. With the DAZN streaming service it will only help ppl who can't get live content and the packages they offer outside the USA are excellent they will see success outside the US market for sure the prices are super affordable and the content is excellent.

True they may find some success. But I don't know if it will translate into big revenue.

There is a reason why the UFC hasn't tried to go full bore in Europe. Which is a massive market in terms GDP. You could say much more money has been spent in Brazil over all of Europe for the UFC. Some probably has to do with time zone, TV contracts, and a big one is "red tape", but I also think its the general market overall. For some reason the UFC just doesn't seem to think it would be very prosperous to push hard into the European markets.

Good for Bellator to try to expand in that part of the world but I'm not sure its going to lead to anything, hopefully it does cause I like having a quirky org like Bellator around.

True they may find some success. But I don't know if it will translate into big revenue.

There is a reason why the UFC hasn't tried to go full bore in Europe. Which is a massive market in terms GDP. You could say much more money has been spent in Brazil over all of Europe for the UFC. Some probably has to do with time zone, TV contracts, and a big one is "red tape", but I also think its the general market overall. For some reason the UFC just doesn't seem to think it would be very prosperous to push hard into the European markets.

Good for Bellator to try to expand in that part of the world but I'm not sure its going to lead to anything, hopefully it does cause I like having a quirky org like Bellator around.

I think it could become a good source of revenue if they can fill buildings like the 02 arena and get a following.i can just see things are lining up talent wise in the area hopefully it pans out.

Your skepticism is well merited it is way too early to tell and we can only hope for the best.We know the US market is dipping or atleast plateaud we shall see if untapped markets are the keys to success.

I think it could become a good source of revenue if they can fill buildings like the 02 arena and get a following.i can just see things are lining up talent wise in the area hopefully it pans out.

Your skepticism is well merited it is way too early to tell and we can only hope for the best.We know the US market is dipping or atleast plateaud we shall see if untapped markets are the keys to success.

Trust me, if bellator teamed up with matchroom to promote the Page-Daly fight it could be huge.

Matchroom is habitually selling out STADIUMS (not arenas) for big boxing shows now and selling massive ppv events regularly. Hearn could do the same for mma and has teased an interest on numerous occasions.

Trust me, if bellator teamed up with matchroom to promote the Page-Daly fight it could be huge.

Matchroom is habitually selling out STADIUMS (not arenas) for big boxing shows now and selling massive ppv events regularly. Hearn could do the same for mma and has teased an interest on numerous occasions.

Well considering they are both partners of DAZN it isn't farfetched and bellator already does MMA/kickboxing events so it could work.Bellator is open to co promotion if it works.

I could see them trying an mma and boxing megaevent but I bet it'd be exclusive to DAZN.

Well considering they are both partners of DAZN it isn't farfetched and bellator already does MMA/kickboxing events so it could work.Bellator is open to co promotion if it works.

I could see them trying an mma and boxing megaevent but I bet it'd be exclusive to DAZN.

Exactly. This is precisely what I was driving at. I wouldn't be surprised if informal chats had already occurred at the Dazn launch this week.

Hearn has the knowhow and the connections to turn Page-Daly from a big fight into a massive event with mainstream buy-in.

Eddie Hearn has a deal with Sky which involves all of Sky's marketing tools, including Sky sports news, Bellator is on Viacom owned channels, so unless Match room bought Bellator and moved them to Sky, they will do nothing with them

Watch Eddie flop in the US big time, all his big fights will be in the UK, Nobody in the US even wanted the WBSS season 1, so they aren't breaking ground, HBO & Showtime have great shows with strong histories, ESPN does too and will help market Top Rank & UFC on ESPN +, nobody will promote DAZN or their fighters.

The UFC's loyal UK fanbase has been rewarded with nothing but shit cards for years. Would not be surprised if bellator takes over there.
I agree with you, the UFC is doing this everywhere where it is not USA though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back