Countdown: Bisping-GSP 53k views, Cody-Tj 75k, JJ-Rose 75k

It’s nearly 2018....how can you still be so....backwards? What’s your beef with WMMA? As much as I’m pumped for GSP/Bisping...Joanna and Rose are more likely to put on a More exciting fight...

You can see exciting fights at local smokers or street fights...doesn't mean the skill level is higher.

Is there no hype at all for GSP's return?
i can only answer for myself, and that answer is no, there is no hype at all for GSP's return.

i'm slightly curious how he does. whereas i'm very excited for the co-main.

I’m backwards because I don’t enjoy WMMA? You do realize this is the type of thinking that got Trump in office right? Just because I don’t like WMMA, I’m backwards. Lol.

I don’t like the WNBA either. Am I some sort of sexist bigot because of that? I haven’t liked the WNBA ever, whether 2008, 2018, or 2028, I won’t like it.

Joanna and Rose will most certainly not be a more exciting fight. JJ fights are garbage. People complain about Mighty Mouse fights, but love to watch JJ? Lol wtf

You asked someone how the hell they can be a hardcore fan and be more excited for the Joanna/Rose fight...come on lol and as much as I like GSP...he’s had more boring fights than exciting ones.

Look, I didn’t mean to incite an argument with you. I shouldn’t have called you backwards. But, to be fair, you’re also acting reallllllll sensitive right now so you’re not helping your case much, either.

I’m backwards because I don’t enjoy WMMA? You do realize this is the type of thinking that got Trump in office right? Just because I don’t like WMMA, I’m backwards. Lol.

I don’t like the WNBA either. Am I some sort of sexist bigot because of that? I haven’t liked the WNBA ever, whether 2008, 2018, or 2028, I won’t like it.

Joanna and Rose will most certainly not be a more exciting fight. JJ fights are garbage. People complain about Mighty Mouse fights, but love to watch JJ? Lol wtf

Who cares? Topic is about countdowns popularity and star power.

All of them uploaded pretty much at the same time (sauce ufc's yt channel)
This might do horrible numbers if fans are more interested in Cody and Joanna than GSP (Cody, TJ and Joanna are not 300k+ draws). Casuals seem to be absent, did they not buy into this?

Maybe a indicator of how the PPV will do?
I said it before this event will not do good numbers.
Even if I as hard core would really wanna pay for it, I think it is agood event, but the main event is not gonna sell this event, the ones who paid to watch GSP fight are for the most part gone, sorry, but UFC's talk about "we need more time to re-promote you(GSP) is true".

This might do horrible numbers if fans are more interested in Cody and Joanna than GSP (Cody, TJ and Joanna are not 300k+ draws). Casuals seem to be absent, did they not buy into this?

there have been loads of special programing for this fight in Canada, mostly on TSN and RDS, there's coverage in the mainstream media, just like back in the day.

Personnaly, I didn't know that the countdowns were available on Youtube, maybe I'm too old for that young folk internet

That's not the point. I'm talking about GSP relative to Cody and JJ. Any embedded episode does well, even MM ones. But Tony and Lee at 216 had 3x more views relative to MM and it it turned out to have much better numbers than average MM's card. Here it's not the case, here Joanna and Cody seem to be main drivers of interest which suggest this will be way below GSP's average
Well I understood your point as in that the event wont do well based on the, seemingly, lack of interest in the GSP vs Bisping fight. You've decided that there is a lack of interest in this fight because out of the three stellar main card fights, it has the lowest views in regards to the countdown portions.

I agree that it's interesting, but I don't think that is enough to say that the event will do "horribly" as you said. I used the embedded views as en example of how the overall interest seems high, which makes sense given the very high quality of the card.

Tony vs Lee only still has around 400k views on the first episode of their embedded, at this point. UFC 217 embedded episode will probably reach over 1 million before the fight.

If you are saying that what you meant is that this PPV will be below GSPs average, then maybe. All in all, I think the event will do very well. Probably around 7-800k. Actually, looking at the numbers, that seems to be a little above GSPs average.

Let's see what happens.

The key to MMA success is either to be Conor or fight Conor.. everything else is fookin peanuts

4 years is a long time. Not surprised if USA fans aren't digging it. Living in Canada, I can tell you we are pumped.

This is really interesting data to analyse. Looks like GSP's star power has diminished.
As a hardcore fan, I'm certainly more excited for Cody/TJ and JJ/Rose than I am Bisping/GSP, but I thought GSP and Bisping would have enough mainstream curiosity to get better numbers.
Luke Thomas, discussed the matter, according to a UFC poll most PPV buyers didn't know who GSP was.

Have Bisping and GSP done any mainstream media appearances? Usually leading up to a fight I will see the main eventers doing interviews on various sports shows and/or the event itself being discussed, but I have seen neither for this card.

I watched the GSP part then erased the DVR recording.

Chael was making a good point that there are a lot of mma fans with short memories (not you guys of course) and in the what have you done for me lately vein, they don’t particularly care about a fighter who has been gone for four years- even an absolute legend of the sport.

He also indicated that mma have gotten new fans since 13 who never saw a gsp Fight live. There are some among that group who never saw him fight period.

I’m not saying I completely agree with these assertions but they are things to think about.

Factor in that many hardcore fans are excited for a GSP return but not necessarily for this middleweight “superfight.”

I think the card will still do quite well. Three title fights plus New York hype plus good time of year for a monster card.

Watch, after St. Pierre smashes Bisping and becomes champ you can bet those numbers will triple.

This is really interesting data to analyse. Looks like GSP's star power has diminished.
As a hardcore fan, I'm certainly more excited for Cody/TJ and JJ/Rose than I am Bisping/GSP, but I thought GSP and Bisping would have enough mainstream curiosity to get better numbers.

Calls himself a hardcore fan and is more excited for Rose Namajunas challenging for a title than the greatest WW of all time (and for some the overall GOAT) returning and challenging for a title - making this title fight a fight between the guy with the most wins in UFC history against the guy with the second most wins in UFC history.

Stay hardcore, bro.

It could be that GSP and Bisping are getting repetitive. I'm a GSP fan but he hasn't said one thing that interests me since the fight was announced in March. He's boring and any UFC fan who has been following for more than Conor's career has heard GSP's stories of Tri-Star, Montreal, Firas, Serra, his OCD and all that. We've heard the same song in every countdown since he fought BJ Penn.

Bisping is also just annoying. He's so insincere and doing his best to promote this fight but it reeks of inauthenticity. He's not clever like McGregor or "real" like Diaz.

Masvidal/Wonderboy is the real main event. I could care less about gsp tbh.

I'm surprised by this, but it definitely mirrors my own feelings. Zero interest in Bisping/GSP.

Back