Counters to a right straight?

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What are the most consistent counters to the right straight? The right straight is a great cross counter to the jab and a fast jab can counter a right hook, but what about counters to a fast lead right straight?

What are the most consistent counters to the right straight? The right straight is a great cross counter to the jab and a fast jab can counter a right hook, but what about counters to a fast lead right straight?

straight right hand to the body/head & dip over hook to the body. Typically from what I've noticed the best counter is always the punch ur countering, counter the jab with the jab, the hook with the hook and the right hand with the right hand. Catch the right hand with ur left arm and fire down the middle.

I like to parry using my lead, and throw my own cross (while being off the line)

Slip outside it, lead hook to body, lead hook to head, low kick.

giphy.gif

The simplest would probably be parry/block come back with your own straight or outside slip left hook.

I haven’t ever done it but if it comes fast and I’m too slow to react when it hits my face/guard I would like to answer with the left hook, right hand.

I haven’t ever done it but if it comes fast and I’m too slow to react when it hits my face/guard I would like to answer with the left hook, right hand.
Works great on freaks

southpaws

straight right hand to the body/head & dip over hook to the body. Typically from what I've noticed the best counter is always the punch ur countering, counter the jab with the jab, the hook with the hook and the right hand with the right hand. Catch the right hand with ur left arm and fire down the middle.

<mma4>

Though for a Mayweather Gym trainee, you sure forgot the bread n butter right uppercut counter.
Iam disappoint, son.

<{nope}>

One thing I've been trying lately is the inside slip to long right straight hookish punch.

I see n time it perfectly. Get my head offline beautifully n safely. Get my power n weight transfer just right.
And hit their right shoulder / neck :(

Hard enough to send them stumbling back or get that momentary look of relief we get when somebody misses a hard punch by inches.
But a miss is a miss.

Anybody have an insight on what I should be adjusting ?

One thing I've been trying lately is the inside slip to long right straight hookish punch.

I see n time it perfectly. Get my head offline beautifully n safely. Get my power n weight transfer just right.
And hit their right shoulder / neck :(

Hard enough to send them stumbling back or get that momentary look of relief we get when somebody misses a hard punch by inches.
But a miss is a miss.

Anybody have an insight on what I should be adjusting ?

Lol was just giving the basic counters everyone can pull off, that uppercut is an advanced move like the above shoulder roll->straight right is pretty advanced.

Sounds like an overhand right you are describing, try and send the projectory a little more downwards so it comes down on their temple area, you will avoid the neck and shoulder, adjust as the opponent does. If you see you can clip their chin, then start adjusting the arc. Don't forget you can send it to the body too;) , I think the straights to the body are the most under utilized weapons in boxing, jabs & right hands.

Slightly looping right hand/overhand with a lean to the outside to intercept him.
Pivoting left hook, tho you could get caught mid-strike.
Keep the jab going and keep it extended. He won’t be able to counter it well if you extend it far and rotate the shoulder well to cover your cheek/jaw.

Slightly looping right hand/overhand with a lean to the outside to intercept him.
Pivoting left hook, tho you could get caught mid-strike.
Keep the jab going and keep it extended. He won’t be able to counter it well if you extend it far and rotate the shoulder well to cover your cheek/jaw.
If you're both orthodox, leaning to the outside is to your right side, which means the overhand has to be a left.

If you're orthodox and facing one, the cross is going to come to your left

If you're both orthodox, leaning to the outside is to your right side, which means the overhand has to be a left.

I am orthodox, and a slip to my ‘outside’ is to my left. That’s what I mean when I say ‘outside’.

Slipping the right hand on the outside is always going to be to the left from what I understand - slipping the inside of the left hand is going to be to the left aswell. Inside slip of the right hand - going to the right, and outside slip of the left hand, going to the right.

block with left then return your own right (right shoulder protects chin)
block with left then return a left hook (right hand protects).
Slip the right on the outside, go over the top with a left hook, or hook/uppercut to the body.
If they are moving forward, slip on the inside and counter with a short right uppercut or overhand right.

I am orthodox, and a slip to my ‘outside’ is to my left. That’s what I mean when I say ‘outside’.

I always think of 'outside' relative to the punch. For a cross in an orthodox matchup, outside slip is to your left. If he was jabbing, a left slip would be to the inside.

What about a left jab or hook?

and for a southpaw left straight or lead right?

Back