Courage under Fire: The Art of takin an ass-whoopin.

threads like this are the reason I read this forum. the two words that stand out for me are "pay attention". and I will definitely be testing some of the learning techniques you mentioned when I spar in the future.

That's a good way of putting it thanks for the advice Sinister. I know what you mean those kinda days where your really motivated and your just waiting for them to say get ready. A good day for me to take an ass beating haha.

So don't be tense, don't flub my footwork, don't throw arm punches, don't panic? All these years... wasted.

I know, my whole Fighting style was based on all those things. When Mike told me all this I was like "No! I've been foiled!"

DON'T: Hope. If you go to the Gym and you "hope" you don't get your ass whooped that day, just don't go in and save yourself the trouble.

the only thing i did correctly in the thread thus far. im by far the shittiest guy at the gym who spars semi regularly. however, it helps that i KNOW i'm going to get tooled. i just plan on learning from each whuppin and it's helped with head movement and footwork quite a bit.

Full power to the body: This is another one that's used by old school trainers because of how it almost always goes down. It almost always leads to in-Fighting, where panic can be at it's highest. And almost always accidentally someone will get popped in the mouth, at which point everything stops, and you decide it's okay. That decision is what has to be made more rapidly in live sparring or harder sparring..

First off that was a great thread! I have done a few of those drills and the others I will definetely incorporate.

I like this drill and have used it before. My only problem with it is that if it is done to often, or by a novice fighter, it can create a bad habit of leaving your hands too low. I had a trainer who did a modification of this drill where we used full power to the body but could also throw the jab high or low.

I like this drill and have used it before. My only problem with it is that if it is done to often, or by a novice fighter, it can create a bad habit of leaving your hands too low. I had a trainer who did a modification of this drill where we used full power to the body but could also throw the jab high or low.

Sorry, meant to respond to this forever ago.

The jab is a good addition to this exercise, however, I'd warn to also throw the jab at the end of the body-shots. Like say 1-3b-4b-1, on account of the opening left when finishing combinations with body punches.

A drill I really like for sparring (especially against very good fighters) is what my coach calls "Throw 4"

In this excersise, your opponent throws any 4 punches he wants at you, then when he's done, you throw 4 back. When I first started boxing, I found this really helpful. It's good because:

1) You know you won't take a prolonged ass-whoopin' even if someone is a lot better then you. You know you'll only be hit 4 times at the most at a time instead of relentless combos.

2) You can see how your opponent throws his punches, what he hits you with, and when you throw, what you hit him with, what he avoids, and he avoids them.

3) It works wonders when working on throwing in combinations (see what you hit him with, what misses).

Of course this only works for a while, because as you get more advanced you'll want to add counterpunching etc. but it's good for beginners.

Matt - another reason its a good drill is because it teaches beginners to throw longer chains of combinations. Most people have a tendency to throw only 1 or 2 punches at a time, before bailing out of danger.

Thanks for this thread, very helpful - few ideas to try out in training next week. 10/10

Awesome thread! I'll be incorporating these techqniques into my regular training

Matt - another reason its a good drill is because it teaches beginners to throw longer chains of combinations. Most people have a tendency to throw only 1 or 2 punches at a time, before bailing out of danger.

Yeah exactly, it helps beginners open up with 4 shots without fear of being countered by a better fighter. It stops a lot of beginners from throwing a 1-2 and running away.

DON'T: Panic and guess. Frightening yourself leads to guessing how to get out of it. Guessing usually doesn't work in Combat. It leads to getting hit with unexpected shit, which is far more painful than anticipated shit. Part of guessing is when a guy closes his eyes and throws a punch, that's a panic and guess all in one. But what you're liable to get hit back with by the guy who keeps his eyes forward and anticipates your shot, will be what ends the Fight. I've only ever seen one guy in Boxing get away with closing his eyes on the Elite level, and no one here is Marco Antonio Barrera.

SO true. I learned this the hard way the other day while sparring. I was sparring a guy who kept throwing a lead hook to the head after his crosses. The first 4-5 times he did it, I timed it perfectly and slipped the cross and ducked under the hook, and countered really well with a quick combo of my own.

I "thought" I had his number but the next time he threw a cross, I "guessed" that he was going to follow up with the same hook so I slipped the cross and ducked a non-existent hook without looking.... BIG MISTAKE! He waited for me to slip the cross and instead of the lead hook to the head, he connected with a beautiful switch lead knee to the chin as I ducked towards my right side. OUCH!

He was doing the "thinking" while I was "guessing" as I decided to duck without really looking. Thinking>>>Guessing.

[hijack]

Sinister,

With the boxing vs. MMA topic rearing it's ugly head again in the Heavies and people quoting Mayweather Jr.'s disparaging remarks against the sport as "proof" that "all boxers and boxing fans are insecure about the rise and 'eventual takeover' of MMA" or highly criticizing other prefight ramblings (i.e. BJ Penn) perhaps you should start a thread entitled, "Talking shit: the Art of Selling a Fight"

[/hijack]

Thanks KK. Don't even know you but clearly owe you a beer lol. Looking forward to trying this stuff out, I still have major issues with eye closing and panicking.

A drill I really like for sparring (especially against very good fighters) is what my coach calls "Throw 4"

In this excersise, your opponent throws any 4 punches he wants at you, then when he's done, you throw 4 back. When I first started boxing, I found this really helpful. It's good because:

1) You know you won't take a prolonged ass-whoopin' even if someone is a lot better then you. You know you'll only be hit 4 times at the most at a time instead of relentless combos.

2) You can see how your opponent throws his punches, what he hits you with, and when you throw, what you hit him with, what he avoids, and he avoids them.

3) It works wonders when working on throwing in combinations (see what you hit him with, what misses).

Of course this only works for a while, because as you get more advanced you'll want to add counterpunching etc. but it's good for beginners.

Never used this before, but I like it! Thanks......! :D

its all great advice but you tend to post videos where you have the idea everybody knows who you are. I have no idea to who I have to look in most of the videos you have posted

as someone who regularly gets his ass kicked while sparring this post is a godsend.

kudos.

Back