Courage under Fire: The Art of takin an ass-whoopin.

I spar very regularly. The guys I spar with regularly all agree that during sparring you should try to hit as hard you want to be hit back. As for what happend at the gym. Was mine and his first session together. I had already sparred two other students. When me and my coach started going at it I was throwing light. Really just trying to work out my timing and getting my hands back to block. I train BJJ at this gym. They just happen to offer a MMA class so I got to it as well. I doubt he really ment to go as hard as he did. Or perhaps was just having a bad day. I look forward to sparring him again. No matter the strength he uses. I can still learn alot about myself from taking the beating. Best way to learn to keep my hands up would be getting hit in the head. Haha

My bad, then. If you're comfortable sparring, then he's probably just pushing you. Match his intensity and enjoy the opportunity to get in quality hard sparring with a guy at that level.

Bumping this to show one of the drills I mentioned in the opening post at work. I'm assisting training a girl from Argentina here who responds to pressure ONLY by fighting. Meaning she tries to defend herself, but as soon as a punch lands she goes into auto-punch mode. Problem with that is she always ends up taking as good as she gives because she is negligent of defense when responding offensively. But she says she doesn't want to be a brawler, she wants to learn to box. So I had her work defense only with one of our Amateur competitors (Brazilian). Both of them have good stances, and both of them for the most part throw punches well when they do. We're just touching on the bad habits she has when punches come at her.

Some of the instructions are in Spanish because they both speak better Spanish than they do English:

Great thread man, exactly what I needed to read. Thank you

This is great advice! I just started sparring at my gym and I totally froze. Will try to keep these things in mind.

Last edited:
i always find its hard to be 'loose' against certain ppl

Thanks for the tips, Sinister. I sparred for the first time in about 6 years last Saturday, I remembered a lot of the advice from from this thread from a long time ago and was glad to see that a lot of things that plagued me when I first started boxing didn't creep back up.

I actually credited the fact that I didn't get my ass kicked entirely to the things I've read from you re: positioning, hip rotation, built in defense, etc. My partner was a southpaw who's been boxing steady for the last 8 years or so - he was holding back but still wasn't able to land his rear punches (lit me up good with his lead-hook though). He kept underestimating how far away my head was and would have to stop the punch halfway through when I'd slightly shift onto my back hip.

Anyway, wanted to say thanks again @Sinister. My brain appreciates it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back