Covington and Khabib are the two best offensive wrestlers in the UFC

i wouldnt put that colby guy in the same sentence with khabib

while he doesn't have the experience of khabib, it was impressive to see him implement his game plan on one of the best grapplers of all time.

Both of their records are full of weak competition though, so this thread is weak too.

I’m not trying to say Colby isn’t a good offensive mma wrestler. It’s just easy to look like a machine when your going up against less that stella opponents.
I concede your point about imaginative exercises tho. That’s just my personal opinion.

I will say that statistic can be deceiving tho. Think jones holding on to a single then abandoning it so he can land a spinning elbow. Statistically a ‘failed TD attempt’ but not really a true reflection of how effective his TD can be

All valid points. I'm not arguing that he's better than Jon but just currently the best offensive wrestler alongside Khabib, and in the past GSP, Brock and Cain have all been better. Statistics can be deceiving but I'm using them to back up what I've seen with my eyes.

original

These two guys take people down at will and the two best offensive wrestlers in the UFC right now. In the past the best have been the likes of GSP, Brock and Cain.

These two have the highest takedown average per 15 minutes I can see among any fighter ever in UFC history (Khabib with 6.15 and Covington with 5.93 per 15mins and takedown accuracies of 48% and 53% respectively).

In his 8 UFC fights Khabib has had 39 takedowns and in Colby's 8 UFC fights prior to the Maia fight (where he showed his defensive wrestling) he had 41 takedowns.

Both are decorated wrestlers in their own right. Colby is a former 174lb Division 1 All American/5th placed finisher in 2011 and Khabib is a former two-time Combat Sambo World Champion.

Don't respond to this by saying there are more accomplished wrestlers out there i.e. Yoel Romero and DC because I'm speaking about the skill set of offensive wrestling as it is utilised in MMA.

Khabib is the better all round grappler (who can also execute judo throws) with the better ground game but they are very close when it comes to takedowns.

Colby is seems to be a dickhead but you can't discredit his ability

all stats from:
http://www.fightmetric.com
http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/dc9572dd6ec74859
http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/032cc3922d871c7f

ClearcutEnragedAmurstarfish.gif

Colby-Covington-WiNS.png

Khabib is not a wrestler.
He only briefly wrestled competitively, as a child.

Both of their records are full of weak competition though, so this thread is weak too.

lol who is the guy in the UFC right now who has a high number of takedowns against at least NCAA level wrestlers with excellent takedown defense?

i wouldnt put that colby guy in the same sentence with khabib
Lmao why not? He's beaten a top 3 opponent, meanwhile Khabib only fights people that are ranked around 8.

Well don't know about offensive, but Colby is one tough ass mother fucker to take down, that's for sure.

He has an international master of sports in Sambo and in Pankration.

Edit: and is a world champion in the former and a European champion in the latter.

OP didn't say freestyle wrestling or greco-roman or sumo.
Wrestling includes a whole range of styles and rulesets. Khabib has mastered many.

then watch a different sport

um ok. I guess you like watching two sweaty guys lay on top of each other without inflicting damage.

You must be "hardcore"... great job bro, makes you really cool

I used to feel the same way until it turned into 6 slams per round.

somewhere later in this thread I said I like watching khabib punch people's faces into oblivion. I'm okay with that for sure... just the clay guida lay and pray types I can't stand.

Khabib is overrated AF. They keep him away from good wrestlers after Tibau stuffed everything. Colby would light him up when Khabib could do nothing. Really want to see geathje vs Khabib. Or even ferg or lee.

Last edited:
I agree they are both very very good wrestlers. I could argue khabib as the top guy. Covington will probably be right up there when he used his wrestling to dominate another top fighter or 2. But for the best wrestlers in MMA right now I say its:
-Khabib, great upper body, Greco/judo/sombo ish takedowns AND has a great shot. His top control isn't quite as good as his stand up wrestling but its still solid.
-Chad mendes, maybe the best blast double in the business. Finishes his TDs clean and with authority.
-Frankie, probably the slickest and most versatile wrestler in the game. I can recall him using singles, doubles, upper body TDs, fireman carries, knee picks, hip tosses, etc. And his top game has been absolutely stellar since moving down to 145.
-Maia, aside from his last 2 fights was one of the best as well. He took his Bjj and judo skills and really made himself into 1 of the best wrestlers out there. Trained with some of the best wrestlers in the world. He was relentless and patient at the same time, he would fight for that single leg or work for that body lock for minutes if necessary. He also finished his basic double legs quite cleanly. I loved his Bjj/wrestling fusion it was quite unique.
-Kind of an odd choice maybe but I love the TD game that Gustaffson has developed. He used it to wrestle successfully with DC and Jones and is unique in that he uses almost all upper body TDs. Its not such a surprise considering Swden has some of the world's best Greco guys and Gus is quite tall, but he really makes it work for him.

I really enjoyed watching RDA wrestle in his fight with Anthony Pettis, I think Rustam Khabilov is also really good, and GSP is of course probably the best overall wrestler in MMA.

Khabib is overrated AF. They keep him away from good wrestlers after Tibau stuffed everything. Colby would light him up when Khabib could do nothing. Really want to see geathje vs Khabib. Or even ferg or lee.
That was 5 years ago, is Ferg overrated because he lost to MJ at that time? Also Khabib didnt even lose lol

Colby? One of the best offensive wrestlers....... Colby.............

<6>

um ok. I guess you like watching two sweaty guys lay on top of each other without inflicting damage.

You must be "hardcore"... great job bro, makes you really cool

If you have to resort to describing grappling as gay b/c you think it makes your argument more convincing, then you're watching the wrong sport AND you're a homophobe.

Wrestling, jiujitsu, sambo are what separates MMA from boxing and kickboxing. If you don't like it, watch a different sport, it's common sense.

Back