Cracks in the EU: Ongoing Discussion

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
I thought I would start a topic I can periodically update with interesting stories, editorials or general information regarding the stress fractures occurring in the EU. Feel free to contribute

Top Eurocrat Brands Patriotic Poland ‘Greater Danger for the EU than Brexit’

A senior eurocrat has accused Poland of “abdicating” its leading role in Central Europe by refusing to bend to the EU’s demands on migrant quotas and internal judicial reforms, and warned the country poses a greater existential threat to the bloc than Brexit.
Elżbieta Bieńkowska, who sits on the EU’s unelected central executive as Commissioner for the Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship, and SMEs, claimed Poland’s governing Law and Justice Party (PiS) represents “a greater danger for the EU than Brexit”, according to the Daily Express.

“Poland has abdicated its role as leader of this part of Europe. It will take a very long time and I think never to rebuild its position,” she added.

Bieńkowska is herself from Poland, and was appointed to the European Commission by former prime minister Donald Tusk — who himself side-stepped into the well-remunerated role of President of the European Council shortly before his centrist Civic Platform was swept out of office by Law and Justice in a landslide election victory.

The EU has taken exception to Poland’s efforts to improve the largely self-selecting judiciary’s accountability to the Polish parliament, as part of a wider package of reformsaimed at reducing the continued influence of holdovers from the country’s Cold War era communist regime.

European Commission First Vice-president Frans Timmermans has threatened that the EU could even go so far as to activate Article 7 proceedings against Poland, which could lead to a suspension of its voting rights within the bloc.

Asked if he was not concerned that this could lead to Poland departure from the EU, the Dutchman boasted: “[T]here is no way the Polish people will support a government to leave the European Union.”

Critics believe the EU is tightening the screws on Poland because, like Hungary, it is resisting its attempts to redistribute migrants across EU member-states through a mandatory quota system.

They have pointed to the Commission’s relative indifference to Spanish police brutality in Catalonia — which Timmermans and others have described as an “internal matter” — as evidence that the EU is selective in its interference.

“The double standards of the Commission is something that leaps to the eye,” commented Polish MEP Ryszard Legutko.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...triotic-poland-greater-danger-eu-than-brexit/

I may be wrong, but I think that the EU will eventually push Poland enough that they leave. Hungary too possibly.

"Critics believe the EU is tightening the screws on Poland because, like Hungary, it is resisting its attempts to redistribute migrants across EU member-states through a mandatory quota system."

A mandatory quota that the V4 voted against. But who cares about that, right? Not like a country should have power over who can or can not live there.

The central European countries have always been *apart* from the rest of Europe and the east as well. I'm a firm believer that the V4 need to stick together, and very very tightly, or else they will be trampled as they have been throughout history.

The west has never gaf about these countries except as buffer states. And Russia views them as belonging under its sphere of influence. Tough spot to be in both geographically and politically.

They will be useful in the wars to come.

I know people are happy to see someone kick back at the EU, but Poland is not just refusing to take migrants, they are also destroying their democratic process, and civil rights.

No open boarders in exchange for corrupt courts, and more centralized authoritarian power. Seems like a shit deal.

I know people are happy to see someone kick back at the EU, but Poland is not just refusing to take migrants, they are also destroying their democratic process, and civil rights.

No open boarders in exchange for corrupt courts, and more centralized authoritarian power. Seems like a shit deal.
man i heard the same on cnn
must be true

Europe needs to be federalized because the world is just too unstable with nuclear proliferation and, eventually even more destructive and cheaper technologies like AI, in the 21st century. If we don't all unite as a one world nation then we're all going to die. Europe breaking up into individual states again would be disastrous.

However, that said, WTF is the EU doing? It's like they're doing everything they shouldn't be doing if their goal is to convince the EU to stay together. At least, that's what it looks like to an American from the outside looking in.

Last edited:

Guess we'll have to see how it all unfolds.

Europe needs to be federalized because the world is just too unstable with nuclear proliferation and, eventually even more destructive and cheaper technologies, in the 21st century. If we don't all unite as a one world nation then we're all going to die. Europe breaking up into individual states again would be disastrous.

However, that said, WTF is the EU doing? It's like they're doing everything they shouldn't be doing if their goal is to convince the EU to stay together. At least, that's what it looks like to an American from the outside looking in.
Respectfully, you can take your one world government and shove that idea right up the shoot, respectfully.

<JonesLaugh>

If we don't all unite as a one world nation then we're all going to die. Europe breaking up into individual states again would be disastrous.
these states all speak different languages and are different cultures. how can they be one?

Respectfully, you can take your one world government and shove that idea right up the shoot, respectfully.

<JonesLaugh>
I don't like the idea either man but we don't really have a choice anymore. On more than one occasion, the human race was seconds away from extinction when it was only the USSR and the USA feuding with each other. Just look at the way the winds are blowing with countries like Iran and NK trying to develop nuclear tech, and where does it stop?

Even if you stop it at Iran and NK, what's going to happen in 20, 30, or 50 years when all the African countries start to develop and you have 50 shithole African countries doing the same thing at the same time?

Not to mention, what are we going to do when technologies like AI the power of all human minds in history combined start proliferating? What happens when we develop antimatter technology where one bomb can destroy an entire continent? And who knows what else?

I know in my gut and I know you do too that the human race won't survive the 21st century without going extinct if we can't come together.

Last edited:
You should stop watching CNN. I get my news from non-corporate sources like Newsbud.
Non-Corporate sources
tenor.gif

Oh wait, you're serious

giphy.gif

...pssst. They're all corporate.

Europe needs to be federalized because the world is just too unstable with nuclear proliferation and, eventually even more destructive and cheaper technologies like AI, in the 21st century. If we don't all unite as a one world nation then we're all going to die. Europe breaking up into individual states again would be disastrous.
{<huh}

The EU is united. There are standards that must be met in order to be considered for membership. See Turkey for example. And yes, there is free movement of goods and people within its borders.

What Brussels is demanding is free movement within EU borders of non citizens, and a forced demographic change. Not all cultures are equal as evidenced by EU membership criteria. Therefore the question is why force the cultues which wouldn't meet EU standards on EU citizens?

I don't like the idea either man but we don't really have a choice anymore. On more than one occasion, the human race was seconds away from extinction when it was only the USSR and the USA feuding with each other. Just look at the way the winds blowing with countries like Iran and NK trying to develop nuclear tech, and where does it stop?

Even if you stop it at Iran and NK, what's going to happen in 20, 30, or 50 years when all the African countries start to develop and you have 50 shithole African countries doing the same thing at the same time?

Not to mention, what are we going to do when technologies like AI the power of all human minds in history combined start proliferating? What happens when we develop antimatter technology where one bomb can destroy an entire continent? And who knows what else?

I know in my gut and I know you do too that the human race won't survive the 21st century without going extinct if we can't come together.
At the most, I likely only have 40 more years in me. You can have your O.W.G after that. That's fair right?

At the most, I likely only have 40 more years in me. You can have your O.W.G after that. That's fair right?
You don't have children? Friends who do? Family? I have reasons to care about the state of the world after I die.

The EU has taken exception to Poland’s efforts to improve the largely self-selecting judiciary’s accountability to the Polish parliament, as part of a wider package of reforms aimed at reducing the continued influence of holdovers from the country’s Cold War era communist regime.
Sounds reasonable enough but I'm not all that well read on Polish or EU politics.

You don't have children? Friends who do? Family? I have reasons to care about the state of the world after I die.
Kids - No
Family - But we don't hang out much

maniacal-laugh-gif-7.gif

giphy.gif

I don't like the idea either man but we don't really have a choice anymore. On more than one occasion, the human race was seconds away from extinction when it was only the USSR and the USA feuding with each other. Just look at the way the winds are blowing with countries like Iran and NK trying to develop nuclear tech, and where does it stop?

If anything we need more fragmentation. No beurcrat from a region a time zone away from others is ever going to understand their needs.

Back