Cradle to Japanese Necktie

Hear ye hear ye, all hail the Holy cradle, blessed is thy versatility, applicable to all grappling, hallowed be thins availablity from everywhere.

On a serious note. Good stuff old chap

Pretty nice; a lot of folks, even guys with much experience doing front headlock chokes, can tend to have trouble putting canny opponents into optimal positions for a reliable finish. The cradle lets you do that; bypass their defense, put them in a terrible position, and transition right to your choke to finish them off.

Last edited:
Never thought to do the cradle from front headlock. I wonder where else it might be applicable other than when passing/half guard/mount.

I wonder if it can be used even from bottom position.

Will have to try this out. When I'm in top half guard against a knee shield I often try to arm drag the top arm and work to a cradle.

Is it just me or do you think reaching for the leg you are compromising your control on the front headlock? I can see an opponent running their legs for a double while reaching for it

Is it just me or do you think reaching for the leg you are compromising your control on the front headlock? I can see an opponent running their legs for a double while reaching for it
How do you think people hit the cradle in wrestling?

How do you think people hit the cradle in wrestling?

I'm not saying that this can't be hit, I'm just curious if you all see this as loosening up control of the front headlock the way I see it

Last edited:
I guess so, but I still have the chinstrap so it's not bad at all. It would be like saying going for the guilotine from there would be losing control of the front headlock because you have to regroup. It's not something I'm super worried about

The same way Cobrinha got it against Aj Agazarm in the ADCC finals.

If you have his head and he puts his leg up for you (or you have his leg and he puts his head down for you), nothing's stopping you from thanking him for the favor and just taking it.

Last edited:
The same way Cobrinha got it against Aj Agazarm in the ADCC finals.

If you have his head and he puts his leg up for you (or you have his leg and he puts his head down for you), nothing's stopping you from thanking him for the favor and just taking it.
Exactly. Cobrinha's use of the cradle last year in that tournament really surprised me.

Back