cradles yay or nay

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ben askren has used cradles in mma but he can get away with doing all sorts of things other guys couldnt dream of iv notice a few guys in no gi have been trying to put cradles into there game robert drysdale and hudson taylor put out a dvd on pinning for grappling

anyone from a wrestling background use it in submission grappling? do you think its solid?

Jeff Glover has a half guard pass that's essentially a cradle, I've used that occasionally. I'm not sure what DVD he shows it on but I'm fairly sure he calls it the "Worlds pass."

Edit:

It's on his Deep Half Guard DVD. Suprised me since I didn't realize I'd seen that one.

Last edited:
Moderately useful for passing half guard depending on how your opponent is playing it, especially if you have long arms, but not much else.

I use them from a few positions and it works against black belts. Playing half or if they go reverse half, I far side cradle. Near side cradle can get you into the truck. If they are playing sit up guard super tight, suicide cradles or cutback cradles can get you to side. The problem is you cant spam them like an x pass or Torreandos, its a one hitter quitter.

It is a nice counter when somebody tries to tripod up. Ed Ruth hit a nice cradle when his opponent was tripoding up from a failed shot (iirc).

You can use the commonly appearing cradle to transition into an assassin to finish.

You can see the transition (but not the finish) from Niel Melanson here, which is basically a leg weave/smash pass movement -

(5:40)

- and you can see the start and finish (but not the transition) from this video here -

- and you can also set it up if you get into the smash pass/leg weave itself first too;

This is typical of most material on youtube; it's basically up to you to be able to use your own good sense to tell what details are more gooder, what good details are or are not rivalrous or exclusive with other details, and what good details might work together for a greater cohesive whole.

The cradle is something that shows up in a lot of situations; essentially, any situation where someone is bringing their leg up, putting their knee closer too their head. Particular concern for the submission grappler would be the butterfly guard and knee shield half guard situations, which, it ought be noted are fairly common tactics. It so happens that going directly to head and arm chokes happens to be a common and effective method of attacking these guards, and whether you go to one or the other more or less basically depends on if their reaction to you headhunting is to throw their legs up and/or invert to block you. Which, it ought be noted is also a fairly common tactic amongst those experienced with such positions.

Last edited:
Back