Craig Jones Published a NEW DVD - The Triangle Machine

Colleric

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
You can find it HERE
The good thing about this DVD is that it's almost 50% cheaper then his previous instructionals and that's awesome :)

I want an instructional from him called "The Instructional Machine," that outlines how in the hell he can put together so many DVD's so fast. I watched someone film a DVD once, and it was agonizing, and it seems like he has put out 3 in a relatively short time period.

I want an instructional from him called "The Instructional Machine," that outlines how in the hell he can put together so many DVD's so fast. I watched someone film a DVD once, and it was agonizing, and it seems like he has put out 3 in a relatively short time period.

Yeah, the leg lock one is really good but that's a core skill set of his. I'd consider the Z guard one too since that's also a position he plays with a lot of success, but I don't think of him as some triangle machine so why would that be an area I'd look to him for when there's so much material on the market already from guys like Ryan Hall and Neil Melanson who are known for that attack?

Yeah, the leg lock one is really good but that's a core skill set of his. I'd consider the Z guard one too since that's also a position he plays with a lot of success, but I don't think of him as some triangle machine so why would that be an area I'd look to him for when there's so much material on the market already from guys like Ryan Hall and Neil Melanson who are known for that attack?

I guess I'm just being contrary here but I believe the triangle was his main attack at the colored belts until he got heavily into leg locks at the end, e.g. he had literally over 100 competition wins by triangle.

In a sense, Craig's triangle "story" is pretty similar to Ryan Hall's - he was a big triangle guy coming up (over 100 in competition) but that was mostly early on - I would say most of his big wins later on came via heel hook and chokes from the back. From an instructional perspective, I've found Craig to be quite good - balancing technique and theory/concepts, and presenting things in a systematic fashion. Ryan's stuff is obviously very good, but he can... bloviate.

I picked it up because I had a discount code, like triangles and find watching instructional materials about my core competencies to be very helpful. I'll let everyone know how it is.

I think the BJJ Fanatics guys walk in with an outline of what they want to shoot, and do everything in a single take more or less, and do minimal editing. In spite of the lack of finesse, they tend to turn out pretty well. The scale at which they are putting out new DVDs is kind of staggering, like one every week.

On the other hand, you have companies like Digitsu who seem to really put a lot of craft as far as multiple angles, extensive editing, etc.

If I were making a DVD (and I'm certainly not) - I would almost prefer to work with BJJ Fanatics (as much as I love Digitsu's products) as it seems like it would be a much easier, quicker process.

He was actually known for his triangles before he was promoted to blackbelt and got into leglocks. I mean he did flying triangled Murilo.

Is Neil Melanson known for anything? Did he ever triangle anyone in competition?

I don't know that Melanson ever competed, but he is well known for his triangles and has trained many UFC fighters. Personally I often like DVDs made by coaches better than those made by competitors, coaches are typically better at conveying information.

Personally I often like DVDs made by coaches better than those made by competitors, coaches are typically better at conveying information.

With the exception of Danaher I haven't ever seen anyone who wasn't a modern day competitor show anything that didn't suck.

I don't know that Melanson ever competed, but he is well known for his triangles and has trained many UFC fighters. Personally I often like DVDs made by coaches better than those made by competitors, coaches are typically better at conveying information.

Melanson is fairly physically fucked up, and spent a not insigificant portion of the last decade blind. I'm pretty sure that even now after treatment he can only see out of one eye.

With the exception of Danaher I haven't ever seen anyone who wasn't a modern day competitor show anything that didn't suck.

I would advise you check out Neil Melanson's stuff, since we're talking about him. He definitely doesn't suck. For me personally, I've learned a lot from coaches from prior generations (Draculino being an example), but they all trained current generation champions so they stayed very close to what worked in elite competition. Guys like Fabio Gurgel, Marcelo Garcia, Jacare Cavalcante, they're all a decade or more past their competition primes but still train very good competitors so I wouldn't write them off.

Craig Jones is pretty good at making DVDs. His Leglock Stuff is a great series.

Melanson is awsome his book about triangles is a must have for every serious Grappler. Great unique stuff with detailed explainations......

OK, so I watched the DVD. It's OK - it seems like this was originally planned to be part of the z-guard dvd and they decided to make a separate DVD out of it.

He advocates a Ryan Hall style approach for finishing the triangle. The presentation is good and obviously more compact than Ryan's. The instruction is very good, as Craig is an articulate, thoughtful teacher.

Overall, it was ok. I liked the leg lock and z guard DVDs much more because they presented complete systems whereas this was a bit more of a smattering of techniques.

I like that Craig Jones is hustling and making hay while the sun is shining.

Get that paper dude

His triangle was his main weapon coming up. He couldn’t exactly heel hook and kneebar before brown belt / submission grappling taking off.

Bernardo Faria announced Bjj fanatics will put out instructional DVD’s of John Danaher’s back and leg lock system with about 30 hours of filming. Very excited and glad John Danaher can make money from his efforts. Bernardo said what Danaher showed was systems. Danaher would post about systems or sub systems that interconnected. I hope it’s good as advertised.

His triangle was his main weapon coming up.

To be fair his heel hooks are what made him able to fight the elite guys.
OTOH he show a few of his best triangles on the DVD not a huge "system".

Last edited:
Back