Creating Your Own Style

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Looking at history it seems to me that many of the martial arts taught today come from the same base, but different paths. Allow me to explain:

Many of the Karate styles that are taught originate from people who were familiar with each other whether it be a teacher-student or a cross training relationship. One such example is Funakoshi, the founder of Shotokan reportedly being the one time instructor of Mas Oyama; founder of Kyokushin.

I see many of the early days in martial arts as a tree. A tree rooted in the same base but with different branches representing the divisions or differences.

If this is the case, could we in theory see an emergence of new styles? Could a person being rooted in one experience or martial art go on to create their own?

I understand we view many of the founders of martial arts in the highest regard. However, as great as they were, they were just men like us.

If you could create your own style what would be its influences, principles, uniform, belt system, and training methods? Would your style have a name? Thanks for any input given.

Every person inherently has their own style wether they realise it or not. That is why boxers can look so different. Look at the style differences between Ali and Frazier within the same system. I for one am a bailing twine belt in NoCanDo.

Gun Fu.
Mdmk.gif

If you could create your own style what would be its influences, principles, uniform, belt system, and training methods? Would your style have a name? Thanks for any input given.
Just bleed.gif style

Heavy emphasis on chin conditioning, and drugging my opponents.

uniform = face and neck tattoos with ranking system of:
-manlet slayer
-bench teh 275
-500-0 street fighting record
-lawshuit
-smash boise dimes

Every person inherently has their own style wether they realise it or not.
this.

People have different builds, personalities, and it all takes into account. Some are very calm and precise, others are clumsy and dirty, etc.

Just bleed.gif style

-manlet slayer
-bench teh 275
-lawshuit
-smash boise dimes

this.

People have different builds, personalities, and it all takes into account. Some are very calm and precise, others are clumsy and dirty, etc.

True words. I avoid inside striking if I can. My stand up is long range, outside fighting. Heavy emphasis on head movement, pivoting, the jab, straight, and check hook. I'll uppercut if they change levels, or body punch if we're in close but I prefer keeping a jabbing range.

I love standing clinch for grapple work. Prefer stand up grappling, and off balancing/taking my opponent to the ground with front head snap downs, duck unders or foot sweeps.

This is all coming from my build, and personality.

Looking at history it seems to me that many of the martial arts taught today come from the same base, but different paths. Allow me to explain:

Many of the Karate styles that are taught originate from people who were familiar with each other whether it be a teacher-student or a cross training relationship. One such example is Funakoshi, the founder of Shotokan reportedly being the one time instructor of Mas Oyama; founder of Kyokushin.

I see many of the early days in martial arts as a tree. A tree rooted in the same base but with different branches representing the divisions or differences.

If this is the case, could we in theory see an emergence of new styles? Could a person being rooted in one experience or martial art go on to create their own?

I understand we view many of the founders of martial arts in the highest regard. However, as great as they were, they were just men like us.

A hybrid style of boxing and judo.

Mma gloves are used for grips ground work is limited to 15 secs you can win with a sub or ko. Scoring is the same using a 9 10 round

A hybrid style of boxing and judo.

Mma gloves are used for grips ground work is limited to 15 secs you can win with a sub or ko. Scoring is the same using a 9 10 round

Ok, that sounds promising. Would the clothing be mma style or gi (judo)?

Just bleed.gif style

-manlet slayer
-bench teh 275
-lawshuit
-smash boise dimes

this.

Whats the height requirements for the gym??

True words. I avoid inside striking if I can. My stand up is long range, outside fighting. Heavy emphasis on head movement, pivoting, the jab, straight, and check hook. I'll uppercut if they change levels, or body punch if we're in close but I prefer keeping a jabbing range.

I love standing clinch for grapple work. Prefer stand up grappling, and off balancing/taking my opponent to the ground with front head snap downs, duck unders or foot sweeps.

I love aggressive counter fighting. Like you a ton of stuff is started with my jab and patterns are seen through a lot of measuring and false starts etc. i love head movement too a lot of taking angles by switching stances. iv had coaches call my style "funky" which i like as a way to explain it
<Fedor23>

I love aggressive counter fighting. Like you a ton of stuff is started with my jab and patterns are seen through a lot of measuring and false starts etc. i love head movement too a lot of taking angles by switching stances. iv had coaches call my style "funky" which i like as a way to explain it
<Fedor23>

That's awesome. I can't afford to take too many direct head shots at the moment so that is the reason behind my approach. Kind of goes that way when you have mid terms, and finals that you need a healthy brain for. I'm all for working off the jab to keep it at a distance. I pick shots, it's not the most imposing, but hey it works.

One thing I'm trying to develop is switching stances. At the moment I practice boxing, and Shotokan. In Karate we are required to be proficient from both sides. In the boxing gym it is not encourage, unless you just have a knack for it.

How do you implement stance switching without getting countered during transition? How do you make it feel natural, and what techniques do you look to employ from orthodox, and from southpaw?

That's awesome. I can't afford to take too many direct head shots at the moment so that is the reason behind my approach. Kind of goes that way when you have mid terms, and finals that you need a healthy brain for. I'm all for working off the jab to keep it at a distance. I pick shots, it's not the most imposing, but hey it works.

One thing I'm trying to develop is switching stances. At the moment I practice boxing, and Shotokan. In Karate we are required to be proficient from both sides. In the boxing gym it is not encourage, unless you just have a knack for it.

How do you implement stance switching without getting countered during tr ansition? How do you make it feel natural, and what techniques do you look to employ from orthodox, and from southpaw?

I do alot of playing on the edge of range that way i can go into range to strike and get my opponent to react then hop out creating that "deadspace" to counter. Rhythm and pattern recognition is the name of the game

Iv always switched stances, it started with stepping as i threw a rear overhand just because i saw Tyson do it. That evolved into stepping as i switched on my cross to turn it into a SP jab or switching on a long rear hook to open up the SP left straight.

For me my eyes were opened as soon as i stopped thinking about it as "stances". It sounds kinda mumbo jumbo BUT if you think of all the angles you can hit from SP (if you are naturally ortho) (eg. Left kicks to body, left straight) then all you need to do is just get into SP to hit them. You can do this a lot of ways (switching as you step,walking into the other stance, using a throw away shot to step, etc.) recently iv "let my opponent switch for me"

so if im in ortho and my opponent is ortho and i throw a jab-cross-lead hook and notice my opponent moving away from my hook ill step into SP to cut them off and throw a cross-lead hook which should A)cut them off exiting and B) Start your new attack from a different stance (off the SP cross-lead hook you could throw a power rear kick to the liver-land in ortho and wala back to original stance)

I hope all (or some) of this makes sense.
This man has changed my life Eddie is a damn wizard

I do alot of playing on the edge of range that way i can go into range to strike and get my opponent to react then hop out creating that "deadspace" to counter. Rhythm and pattern recognition is the name of the game

Iv always switched stances, it started with stepping as i threw a rear overhand just because i saw Tyson do it. That evolved into stepping as i switched on my cross to turn it into a SP jab or switching on a long rear hook to open up the SP left straight.

For me my eyes were opened as soon as i stopped thinking about it as "stances". It sounds kinda mumbo jumbo BUT if you think of all the angles you can hit from SP (if you are naturally ortho) (eg. Left kicks to body, left straight) then all you need to do is just get into SP to hit them. You can do this a lot of ways (switching as you step,walking into the other stance, using a throw away shot to step, etc.) recently iv "let my opponent switch for me"

so if im in ortho and my opponent is ortho and i throw a jab-cross-lead hook and notice my opponent moving away from my hook ill step into SP to cut them off and throw a cross-lead hook which should A)cut them off exiting and B) Start your new attack from a different stance (off the SP cross-lead hook you could throw a power rear kick to the liver-land in ortho and wala back to original stance)

I hope all (or some) of this makes sense.
This man has changed my life Eddie is a damn wizard

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I kept seeing Marvin Hagler in my mind while reading your post. He was known to be a switch stance fighter. I'll probably watch more of him. I also have these YT videos for reference. Thanks a mill.

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I kept seeing Marvin Hagler in my mind while reading your post. He was known to be a switch stance fighter. I'll probably watch more of him. I also have these YT videos for reference. Thanks a mill.

Its all about sharing the knowledge {<redford}
The man in action for reference

I've trained MT for my striking for pretty much all of my combat sport exp so I'm a striker first. BJJ has always felt off for me and I've needed lots and lots more mat time to do something most peeps can cover in one lesson; meanwhile wrestling has always been intuitive and natural to me, so at the end I have an odd style where I'm looking to close distance and engage in the pocket and clinch alot, but at the same time avoid getting it on with BJJ'ers on the ground.

Its all about sharing the knowledge {<redford}
The man in action for reference

Awesome. Is this video sped up slightly? His jab was freakishly fast on my feed. I was like whoa, where that quick time come from? lol He lowkey looks like Brian Ortega to me. He is really good.

I notice he throws spinning elbows. What are your thoughts on turning your back to your opponent? Even if it's intended for an offense.

I've trained MT for my striking for pretty much all of my combat sport exp so I'm a striker first. BJJ has always felt off for me and I've needed lots and lots more mat time to do something most peeps can cover in one lesson; meanwhile wrestling has always been intuitive and natural to me, so at the end I have an odd style where I'm looking to close distance and engage in the pocket and clinch alot, but at the same time avoid getting it on with BJJ'ers on the ground.

I'm the same way. I actually prefer Judo style grappling with a heavy emphasis on pins to secure position. Pins are so underrated. "You can't finish a fight with a pin". The hell you can't. I've tapped a BJJ practitioner using kesa gatame. Squeezed him in front of his coach who was trying to guide him through it. Sunk my weight on his chest, and cranked that head up, and towards me. Tapped; he couldn't breathe.

In either case, MT is legit bro. Wish there were MT gyms local. I go to the boxing gym, and a karate dojo for striking. I make due with what I have lol.

Back