Creating Your Own Style

Awesome. Is this video sped up slightly? His jab was freakishly fast on my feed. I was like whoa, where that quick time come from? lol He lowkey looks like Brian Ortega to me. He is really good.

I notice he throws spinning elbows. What are your thoughts on turning your back to your opponent? Even if it's intended for an offense.

I think majority of the jabs are for measures to test the waters. Then again could just be hes so relaxed i find that important for speed

Iv been playing with some spinning stuff and had some decent success. a good one is spinning backfist to make them weary (they'll most likely move away) then spin with the backfist into a lead kick to the liver or head (suga sean). To set up for the backfist i like to jab and preemptively slip to my right so im offline and whip the backfist from there (it sometimes comes down on the neck from a diagonal angle with the forearm). spinning elbow is my new obsession i landed a nasty vertical one on my coach set up with a lead cross (step outside his rear foot as i threw and spun through) and he loved it haha.

Funny enough Gaston Bolanos from the same gym as eddie mercs guys with it. Its such a god damn savage move but in the hands of a beautiful fighter its honestly art

All in all if you plan to spin know how, when and (imho the most important) why

Some reference for the elbow:

I'm the same way. I actually prefer Judo style grappling with a heavy emphasis on pins to secure position. Pins are so underrated. "You can't finish a fight with a pin". The hell you can't. I've tapped a BJJ practitioner using kesa gatame. Squeezed him in front of his coach who was trying to guide him through it. Sunk my weight on his chest, and cranked that head up, and towards me. Tapped; he couldn't breathe.

In either case, MT is legit bro. Wish there were MT gyms local. I go to the boxing gym, and a karate dojo for striking. I make due with what I have lol.
Getting tapped by just compression has stigma of being taboo in BJJ sometimes, like if its not an "official" sub its an embarrassment, but those positions get really nasty at times. Saw one guy who refused to tap and was going blue from that, eventually he went purple and the guy let go cause you know, guy below was probably gonna end up becoming a ghost. Asked why he didn't tap, and said because it wasn't a choke or a lock to him. Dumbass..

But sounds like things are limited on your end, you don't have any MMA gyms either? Are you in a more rural area?

Looking at history it seems to me that many of the martial arts taught today come from the same base, but different paths. Allow me to explain:

Many of the Karate styles that are taught originate from people who were familiar with each other whether it be a teacher-student or a cross training relationship. One such example is Funakoshi, the founder of Shotokan reportedly being the one time instructor of Mas Oyama; founder of Kyokushin.

I see many of the early days in martial arts as a tree. A tree rooted in the same base but with different branches representing the divisions or differences.

If this is the case, could we in theory see an emergence of new styles? Could a person being rooted in one experience or martial art go on to create their own?

I understand we view many of the founders of martial arts in the highest regard. However, as great as they were, they were just men like us.

If you could create your own style what would be its influences, principles, uniform, belt system, and training methods? Would your style have a name? Thanks for any input given.

I agree with you but I dont think creating a new martial art is really possible, if you did, it would be pretty gimmicky, which brings something like krav maga to my mind. Soccer mom krav maga im sure is different than military krav maga in israel but you get what im saying.

all that being said, we cannot "re-invent" the wheel. I can however come up with a new tire tread that is better suited for some things than others.

as far as striking goes, without thinking about any sort of takedown, grappling, mma, type stuff........I think the most complete form of striking would be a combination of Muay Thai, Kyokushin, boxing, and TKD.

Getting tapped by just compression has stigma of being taboo in BJJ sometimes, like if its not an "official" sub its an embarrassment, but those positions get really nasty at times. Saw one guy who refused to tap and was going blue from that, eventually he went purple and the guy let go cause you know, guy below was probably gonna end up becoming a ghost. Asked why he didn't tap, and said because it wasn't a choke or a lock to him. Dumbass..

But sounds like things are limited on your end, you don't have any MMA gyms either? Are you in a more rural area?

They have MMA gyms. I'm just committed to being at the boxing gym. There is a good amount of skill there. I like it, it's nothing fancy, but it's at its core a legit boxing gym. It comes equipped with taped up heavy bags, neighborhood tough guys, ammy champs (regional/national), professional prospects, a leaky ceiling w/a bucket underneath, and old guys to work you like a horse.

The gym where I submitted the guy via kesa gatame was a 10 Planet spot. I just got the better of the roll that time. I learned the kesa gatame from Judo (we have pure Judo gyms as well). The pressure they teach in Judo as far as pinning goes can be intense. It boils down to biomechanics, application, and intent.

The point of Judo groundwork is largely to pin so it makes sense you develop great top pressure. I think of Yoshida/Gracie 1. He may have been applying a chokehold (appears to be a sode guruma jime) but take note of his top pressure. Look how he makes Gracie bear his weight on the bottom. Knees were off the mat, made his weight his weapon.

To answer your question more directly, there are MMA gyms here.

I do alot of playing on the edge of range that way i can go into range to strike and get my opponent to react then hop out creating that "deadspace" to counter. Rhythm and pattern recognition is the name of the game

Iv always switched stances, it started with stepping as i threw a rear overhand just because i saw Tyson do it. That evolved into stepping as i switched on my cross to turn it into a SP jab or switching on a long rear hook to open up the SP left straight.

For me my eyes were opened as soon as i stopped thinking about it as "stances". It sounds kinda mumbo jumbo BUT if you think of all the angles you can hit from SP (if you are naturally ortho) (eg. Left kicks to body, left straight) then all you need to do is just get into SP to hit them. You can do this a lot of ways (switching as you step,walking into the other stance, using a throw away shot to step, etc.) recently iv "let my opponent switch for me"

so if im in ortho and my opponent is ortho and i throw a jab-cross-lead hook and notice my opponent moving away from my hook ill step into SP to cut them off and throw a cross-lead hook which should A)cut them off exiting and B) Start your new attack from a different stance (off the SP cross-lead hook you could throw a power rear kick to the liver-land in ortho and wala back to original stance)

I hope all (or some) of this makes sense.
This man has changed my life Eddie is a damn wizard

What the fuck. CSA is a great gym and that guy obviously has credentials... But imo those were some bad videos

I agree with you but I dont think creating a new martial art is really possible, if you did, it would be pretty gimmicky, which brings something like krav maga to my mind. Soccer mom krav maga im sure is different than military krav maga in israel but you get what im saying.

all that being said, we cannot "re-invent" the wheel. I can however come up with a new tire tread that is better suited for some things than others.

as far as striking goes, without thinking about any sort of takedown, grappling, mma, type stuff........I think the most complete form of striking would be a combination of Muay Thai, Kyokushin, boxing, and TKD.

True. It would be next to impossible I think to invent new techniques. There are only so many ways a body can kick, punch etc etc. However, the intent or context or sporting rules can change; add a new tire thread.

Those are good combinations for striking.

What the fuck. CSA is a great gym and that guy obviously has credentials... But imo those were some bad videos

I know what you mean haha but i actually found the swinging bag one to be pretty useful for my switch game.

As for the standing on a skateboard one. Never tried it but im sure its like punching the hat ball thing where its helping your sport but you're not really doing the sport just working things you need for the sport in a fun way (balance,rhythm, hand eye coordination) like lomas juggling

I know what you mean haha but i actually found the swinging bag one to be pretty useful for my switch game.

As for the standing on a skateboard one. Never tried it but im sure its like punching the hat ball thing where its helping your sport but you're not really doing the sport just working things you need for the sport in a fun way (balance,rhythm, hand eye coordination) like lomas juggling
Maybe I’m not used to mt but man that was some really bad/stiff boxing. I watched his fight too and he didn’t switch stances once. Sorry man not trying to shit on you or the videos. Just no power in their punches from standing so upright

Maybe I’m not used to mt but man that was some really bad/stiff boxing. I watched his fight too and he didn’t switch stances once. Sorry man not trying to shit on you or the videos. Just no power in their punches from standing so upright

No worries i didnt take it that way haha just a conversation and if youre talking about the training videos i agree hes very stiff but the point of the drills is more in the concept of them not the actual movements being done if you know what i mean.

At 12:40 during the slowmo he throws an inside leg kick, resets in SP and fires a lead hook-cross that more or less lands and steps back out into ortho. I think he does a lot more switching mid combo as opposed to like stalking from both stances

14:14 he tries to walk back into SP and teep PJ swedas lead leg but it doesnt workout
15:23 he throws a rear push kick to the body lands in SP and throws a rearside leg kick and goes back to ortho
22:47 Eddie smells blood steps back into SP as sweda throws a lead hook from 22:53 to 23:00 hes attacking from a SP stance
Little moments but he is doing it in transition...I REALLY hope you were talking about the PJ Sweda fight because i just re watched it <45>

It's an interesting question. I think karate would still be the base and the training methodology - kihon, kata and kumite. Solitary sequences to teach broad principles, drills to teach specific techniques based on those principles, sparring to solidify it in noncompliant practice.

Curriculum daily sequences would go "Striking techniques to put down the opponent. Followed by transitioning strikes to takedowns. Finished with ground techniques."

So, to make up something, a class would go like this:

Learn the jab as a principle for setting up other strikes or closing the distance. Use the jab to set up the straight for a knockout. Use the jab to close the distance for some kind of takedown. Some type of finishing technique from the takedown. Defenses for every stage.

The next class would go:

Learn the rear straight as a principle for generating power with the rear hand. Use the rear straight as a method for setting up some kind of takedown. Some type of finishing technique from the takedown. Defenses for every stage.

Keep building on this.

True. It would be next to impossible I think to invent new techniques. There are only so many ways a body can kick, punch etc etc. However, the intent or context or sporting rules can change; add a new tire thread.

Those are good combinations for striking.

yes i like the tire read analogy, we got mud tires, street tires, racing slicks, etc.

I tend to view "syles"(as the term gets used in traditional martial arts) less as separate styles and rather a teachers approach/method of fighting while using all the same tools. If we compare karate and boxing for example. Boxing doesnt have any style splits really, its called boxing everywhere. But you could debate that the slick cuban style differs from an aggressive volume puncher differs from the philly shell approach all enough to be called their own styles, all while using the same tools. In karate; shotokan, goju-ryu, kyokushin, american kenpo etc. they all use the same tools but the differing approaches came from teachers/instructors. I think people in traditional martial arts, or from the east in general, were just a little quicker to name what they teach as their own "style". Quite often naming it after themselves as motobu choki did with motobu-ryu or as Hideyuki Asihara did with Asihara karate. Perhaps it isnt the same nowadays or maybe it was just never the norm in the west.....or else we would have had Roach style or Mayweather style and so on<45>

I tend to view "syles"(as the term gets used in traditional martial arts) less as separate styles and rather a teachers approach/method of fighting while using all the same tools. If we compare karate and boxing for example. Boxing doesnt have any style splits really, its called boxing everywhere. But you could debate that the slick cuban style differs from an aggressive volume puncher differs from the philly shell approach all enough to be called their own styles, all while using the same tools. In karate; shotokan, goju-ryu, kyokushin, american kenpo etc. they all use the same tools but the differing approaches came from teachers/instructors. I think people in traditional martial arts, or from the east in general, were just a little quicker to name what they teach as their own "style". Quite often naming it after themselves as motobu choki did with motobu-ryu or as Hideyuki Asihara did with Asihara karate. Perhaps it isnt the same nowadays or maybe it was just never the norm in the west.....or else we would have had Roach style or Mayweather style and so on<45>

That makes a ton of sense. Shotokan is the same way. Funakoshi's pen name was "Shoto", and "kan" meant building, I've read. Put them together: "Shotokan". Yeah that makes sense. There are different styles of boxing.

I agree with you but I dont think creating a new martial art is really possible, if you did, it would be pretty gimmicky,

agree with that statement.

Some years back we had some guys "developing" their own style "Elemental Claw Style" or ECS and it was hilarious <Lmaoo>.

They had their own names for each technique like out of a dragonballz movie as "heavens light: block the opponent fast as a flash, unblockable technique , gentle and efficient" ...etc

They were dead serious about it and I have their instructional videos with original comment to this day on my hard drive. Someone then later made a music video out of it and uploaded on yt. Great comedy stuff if you know that this was all meant as the birth of a deadly martial art. The one with the red belt is the grandmaster.

Here is the music video:

Some years back we had some guys "developing" their own style "Elemental Claw Style" or ECS and it was hilarious <Lmaoo>.

They had their own names for each technique like out of a dragonballz movie as "heavens light: block the opponent fast as a flash, unblockable technique , gentle and efficient" ...etc

They were dead serious about it and I have their instructional videos with original comment to this day on my hard drive. Someone then later made a music video out of it and uploaded on yt. Great comedy stuff if you know that this was all meant as the birth of a deadly martial art. The one with the red belt is the grandmaster.

Here is the music video:

Bulshido grade material.

Here is the music video:

first dudes footwork was pretty cool for a dance move with the music. I would legit do that on the dance floor to a song like that.

They are, but you eventually add your own spice to it based on what's more intuitive and comfortable for you

Its a very natural thing to want to name your "product" for fame, ego, whatever.

At the end of the day we all have 4 limbs and can only do so much. Sometimes the style isn't with the techniques, but rather the training methods that get you to where you are. Your coach could be heavy on cardio and keep things for the long run, whereas you're very explosive, push things fast, have a heavy emphasis on S&C. it'll eventually look different even though techniques are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back