Cris Cyborg: 'Amanda Nunes Knows My Name Sells Pay-Per-Views'

Yeah 200k against a <FookIsThatGuy> in GDR is "bombing". <YeahOKJen>

Put Holm against anyone with a name like Cyborg and you have a 300k plus PPV. Like it or not Khabib sells. Wait for Tony/Khabib PPV doing 500k.

Cyborg v. Nunes is easily going to do more than Tony v. Khabib.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) looks to have returned some impressive numbers for the UFC 219: “Cyborg vs. Holm” pay-per-view (PPV) event, which took place last month (Dec. 30, 2017) inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, featuring “Prelims” on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

UFC 219 was headlined by the women’s featherweight title fight pitting reigning division queenpin Cris Cyborg opposite former women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm. Elsewhere on the card, Khabib Nurmagomedov reclaimed his spot in the 155-pound title chase by destroying Brazilian striker Edson Barboza.

The result was 340,000 to 380,000 PPV buys, according to MMA Fighting, based on preliminary returns. That figure would suggest — much like this did — that female fighters can draw sizable numbers without Ronda Rousey, who walked away from combat sports roughly one year back.

lol, saying Cyborg vs Holm did 380k PPV because of her (not Khabib) is like saying UFC 200 :" Tate vs Nunes" did 1 million PPV buys because of Nunes/Tate (not Brock Lesnar).

Lmao nobody bought it to watch Khabib. You're delusional. And the last Holly ppv bombed. The draw of the card was Cyborg v. Legit opponent.
I literally bought that card to see how the khabib vs barboza fight would go. I didn’t even finish the main event. I quit watching at the end of the third.

In fact, most of the people I spoke to about it that were getting it (training partners, and other hardcore fans) didn’t even mention the main event when we spoke about it. Everyone legit wanted to see if Edson would be able to stop the td and win or if khabib would do what he always does. I don’t mind cyborg and wanted to see her wreck Ronda, but there was hardly any interest in her vs holly, especially with holly losing most of her last few fights.

Holy shit I can't believe there's people in this thread who think Cyborg or Holm are more popular than Khabib.

<36>

Holy shit I can't believe there's people in this thread who think Cyborg or Holm are more popular than Khabib.

<36>
Holy shit, I can';t believe there's people ITT that believe Khabib sells PPVs to anyone.

Put Holm against anyone with a name like Cyborg and you have a 300k plus PPV. Like it or not Khabib sells. Wait for Tony/Khabib PPV doing 500k.

It will be the biggest event in 2018 if Brock/Jones/Conor/Gsp do not come back
Also think it may break 500k.

I literally bought that card to see how the khabib vs barboza fight would go. I didn’t even finish the main event. I quit watching at the end of the third.

In fact, most of the people I spoke to about it that were getting it (training partners, and other hardcore fans) didn’t even mention the main event when we spoke about it. Everyone legit wanted to see if Edson would be able to stop the td and win or if khabib would do what he always does. I don’t mind cyborg and wanted to see her wreck Ronda, but there was hardly any interest in her vs holly, especially with holly losing most of her last few fights.

Hardcore fans aren't the reason that event did more than every other event besides GSP and Cormier/Jones last year. That's what you guys don't seem to realize.

I told everyone here. I told people Cyborg v. Holm would do more than Aldo v. Holloway and no one wanted to believe it. Now that it happened people are trying to give Khabib credit. It's hilarious.

I don't want to hear any more excuses after Cyborg/Nunes.

Holy shit, I can';t believe there's people ITT that believe Khabib sells PPVs to anyone.

I'm not claiming he's a huge PPV draw (yet). I'm saying his fanbase and his reputation as a fighter is significantly larger than both Cyborg or Holly. You think that match-up had anywhere close to the anticipation that Khabib vs Tony has? Hell I saw more people talking about Khabib's fight in the lead up to 219 than the main event. And the biggest story after the fact damn sure wasn't Cyborg or Holly, it was Khabib. And yeah, social media numbers do shed some light on how popular a fighter is, as much as you think it doesn't.

But I'm sure everyone gets more excited to watch Holly lose again rather than the guy people think will destroy Conor.

Thread will be filled with butthurt but she isn't lying.

Nunes did 100k. I'm sure Cyborg can pull more.

She is the top draw in WMMA now.... Deal with it.

I'm not claiming he's a huge PPV draw (yet). I'm saying his fanbase and his reputation as a fighter is significantly larger than both Cyborg or Holly. You think that match-up had anywhere close to the anticipation that Khabib vs Tony has? Hell I saw more people talking about Khabib's fight in the lead up to 219 than the main event. And the biggest story after the fact damn sure wasn't Cyborg or Holly, it was Khabib. And yeah, social media numbers do shed some light on how popular a fighter is, as much as you think it doesn't.

But I'm sure everyone gets more excited to watch Holly lose again rather than the guy people think will destroy Conor.
Forum talk has nothing to do with people actually buying PPVs. Forum members make up a tiny, tiny fraction of people who actually spend money on fights. Hell, many, many forum members brag about watching events illegally.

I'm calling this the leftover Rousey effect. People who wanted to like WMMA but truly only cared about Rousey had heard of Holm (person who beat Ronda) and Cyborg (person who was hyped as Ronda's top comp for years) and this was their last ditch effort to continue watching WMMA in a post-Ronda world. Cyborg will never match these numbers again. (unless Ronda comes out of retirement which would be huge for the UFC)

When exactly does this "Leftover Rousey Effect" end?

Throw her with TJ vs DJ and Woodley vs RDA I am sure it cracks 400k buys.

She's a draw a bit. Enough to get 250k I think. She's nowhere Ronda, but I don't get where people are coming with this "everyone saw the fight because of Holly".

Cyborg was the main factor, not Holly.

Yeah you're such a draw Cyborg you were just lying about how much the PPV did a couple weeks ago.

How many months of complaining and avoiding fights are we gonna get before the UFC comes to it's senses and gets rid of this headache along with women's 145?

Back