Cris Cyborg doesn’t want to fight Amanda Nunes ‘because Brazil vs. Brazil is not cool’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
"I’d fight Amanda, but I have no interest in fighting her,” Cyborg said during a media day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "We’re two Brazilians, and that would ‘kill' one Brazilian. Why kill one if we’re representing the same country? It’s us against the world."

"But if it’s an interesting fight for the fans, if they want this one day, we can do it,” Cyborg said. "It’s like ‘Claudinha’ (Gadelha) fighting Jessica (Andrade at UFC Japan). I don’t think it would be cool because we’re Brazilians, but I’d do it. I would avoid it, because Brazil vs Brazil is not cool, and I think fans would be split."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/...d-fight-with-fellow-ufc-champion-amanda-nunes

<Dana05>

She ducks legitimate talent. What's new? She posted a Tweet saying she didn't want to fight Amanda a day after Amanda won the belt.

Mebee someone can tell her she is not in the olympics.

Cyborg's fans are always pointing out that it's not her fault she has so few credible opponents. What do you think of her justification for avoiding one of the few BWs people think might match up with her well?

I don't think she's afraid of Nunes, and I'd favor her over Nunes, but she's unnecessarily rejecting one of only two or three decent match ups for herself in WMMA.

It's a cultural difference but she needs to get over it. Americans fight Americans all the time.

Cris Cyborg doesn’t want to fight Amanda Nunes ‘because Brazil vs. Brazil is not cool’

giphy.gif

She ducks legitimate talent. What's new? She posted a Tweet saying she didn't want to fight Amanda a day after Amanda won the belt.

Do you have a script or something to know every time a thread about Cyborg is made? :D

We got a fucking patriot over here! Yay for her and her patriotism. Heaven forbid her and another Brazilian headline one of the biggest women's MMA fights ever. Is it only country vs country in her eyes?

What if Amanda made fun of her family, would she lose her patriotism then?

When BTT fought Chutebox in PRIDE, did she consider that a civil war? Did she pick sides, or was she a conscientious objector?

I have a lot of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brazil has always been this way. There are a few outliers like machida shogun, Anderson vs maia (we saw they wouldn't hurt eachother) and Anderson vs vitor (Vitor is the outlier outsider brazillian)

True. And for what it's worth, Brazilians fight Brazilians all the time too.
Yeah that's true, but I feel like when two Brazilian athletes believe they have relevance to the point where people see them as national icons, it becomes a different ballgame. It's like the loser will be tainted in the eyes of their people.

Cyborg will fight anybody.

The interview was done in Brazil, so she is addressing a predominantly Brazilian audience, and saying the right things to keep their support.

Yeah that's true, but I feel like when two Brazilian athletes feel like they have relevance to the point where people seem them as a national icon, it becomes a different ballgame. It's like the loser will be tainted in the eyes of their people.
It does seem to me, and of course I am speaking broadly and anecdotally here, that Brazilians take losing very hard. Not just the athlete, but the fans. Like a loss entails a massive loss of prestige with the fans.

Back