Cris Cyborg doesn’t want to fight Amanda Nunes ‘because Brazil vs. Brazil is not cool’

"We’re two Brazilians, and that would ‘kill' one Brazilian. Why kill one if we’re representing the same country? It’s us against the world."

We've seen fighters who train together or have a sincere personal connection, avoid fighting one another out of mutual respect. I hate it but it's somewhat understandable. But the "I won't fight her/him because we're from the same fucking country"? C'mon...that is the weakest fucking excuse for dodging a fighter I've ever heard.

"It might be challenging and that would be a problem for me."

Leslie Smith once beat Raquel Pennington who beat Miesha Tate in her last fight years later, this means Leslie Smith is a good opponent even though she has never reached the top 10 at BW (and barely reached top 15). Smith managed to controversially beat Rin Nakai after all.

And like many of Cyborg's opponents, she has fought at 125.

It is interesting that out of the six women Cyborg has fought that have not fought lighter than 145, three have zero wins.

No, but I do dislike Cyborg. '...most are Ronda fans' You pulled that straight out of your ass. You have no idea whether or not most of Cyborg's critics are Ronda Rousey's fans. That's what you have to tell yourself to rationalize supporting such a horrible human being (and I use that term loosely).

Always his last defense. I still wonder why you bother, he never has anything to offer.

"I’d fight Amanda, but I have no interest in fighting her,” Cyborg said during a media day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "We’re two Brazilians, and that would ‘kill' one Brazilian. Why kill one if we’re representing the same country? It’s us against the world."

"But if it’s an interesting fight for the fans, if they want this one day, we can do it,” Cyborg said. "It’s like ‘Claudinha’ (Gadelha) fighting Jessica (Andrade at UFC Japan). I don’t think it would be cool because we’re Brazilians, but I’d do it. I would avoid it, because Brazil vs Brazil is not cool, and I think fans would be split."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/...d-fight-with-fellow-ufc-champion-amanda-nunes

<Dana05>
I like cyborg, but this is just dumb! Brazilians fight eachother all the time. They fight eachother all the time in their own country. It's not like they always fly out fighters from different countries, and say OK no Brazil vs Brazil

It's not Brazil vs Brazil. It's Nunes vs Justino.

She is right. Fighting is war about tribds. Firstly. So its the best for brazil.

If there is anything more pointless than religion, it's nationalism.

Chris, you're losing me girl.

This thread is stupid as heck. Cyborg just said she would prefer not to fight a fellow Brazilian Nunes and then suddenly its like she doesn't want Nunes at all costs.

When fighters like Randamie are going MIA instead of fighting Cyborg, haters are going to concentrate on Cyborg's preference for not fighting Brazilians.

Back