Critique my bag work (boxing)

Ahaha Jackie Chan was the bomb. I grew up watching those movies too. I agree, the muscle memory from other sports definitely does play a factor, and being a visual learner helps even more.

21 huh? You're younger than Me!

I know lol, but a lot of people say I look older, their shocked when I say I'm 21.

Update vid. Would appreciate all feedback. Thanks!

My first 2 boxing instructors were in the same gym, 1 of them is a marine boxing hall of Famer and a hall of Famer in boxing too, the other one was a heavyweight contender back in the day, a lot of them say he sucked at boxing, but I think getting to a title shot 3x is pretty good. So i think some people might disagree with me on here but if you want to do this and practice it, it might help might not.

So what they taught everybody to do, was to everytime you punched, he would have us all move our heads out of the way. When ever you throw a jab move your head to the right, whenever you throw a right hand, move your head slightly to the left and duck a little. When ever you throw a hook swing your head down to your side (that's what I remember about the hook part, I haven't trained with him in 2 years and the gym they were teaching at closed down already). The way I would use it was everytime I knew somebody was going to throw a right hand I would throw a jab and then move my head off the center and attack with whatever I wanted.

So if you want you can try that, maybe do a little more footwork instead of just the bouncing, and try to do some evasive foot work too, you have good technique in your punches though, and you could also try doing slip counters too, that might help prepare you for sparring or a real fight, but you got to visualize it in your head and (this is what I do) make yourself believe their is an opponent in front of you throwing a right hand or a jab or a hook.

I'd honestly get to a boxing gym if I was you, with conditioning and some specific stuff not worth going into on a forum you'd be a decent level of amateur fighter mate

My first 2 boxing instructors were in the same gym, 1 of them is a marine boxing hall of Famer and a hall of Famer in boxing too, the other one was a heavyweight contender back in the day, a lot of them say he sucked at boxing, but I think getting to a title shot 3x is pretty good. So i think some people might disagree with me on here but if you want to do this and practice it, it might help might not.

So what they taught everybody to do, was to everytime you punched, he would have us all move our heads out of the way. When ever you throw a jab move your head to the right, whenever you throw a right hand, move your head slightly to the left and duck a little. When ever you throw a hook swing your head down to your side (that's what I remember about the hook part, I haven't trained with him in 2 years and the gym they were teaching at closed down already). The way I would use it was everytime I knew somebody was going to throw a right hand I would throw a jab and then move my head off the center and attack with whatever I wanted.

So if you want you can try that, maybe do a little more footwork instead of just the bouncing, and try to do some evasive foot work too, you have good technique in your punches though, and you could also try doing slip counters too, that might help prepare you for sparring or a real fight, but you got to visualize it in your head and (this is what I do) make yourself believe their is an opponent in front of you throwing a right hand or a jab or a hook.

Thanks for the feedback bro.

I'd honestly get to a boxing gym if I was you, with conditioning and some specific stuff not worth going into on a forum you'd be a decent level of amateur fighter mate

I've been thinking that for quite some time now. I enjoy boxing more than kickboxing, so it would be best for me to join an actual boxing gym than stay put at the dojo.

Once my membership expires I think I will head in that direction.

I've been thinking that for quite some time now. I enjoy boxing more than kickboxing, so it would be best for me to join an actual boxing gym than stay put at the dojo.

Once my membership expires I think I will head in that direction.

Yeah as other posters have told me, it's hard to coach you over the internet, the best training is in a gym, but one other poster told me, if you know any amateur boxers you can make a deal with them (like buy them food, or [this is what my brother did to get free massages from an air force veteran that also knows how to massage peoples muscles, he would massage my brothers muscles after every workout all the time whenever he came to his work place]you could try buying them lottery tickets) if they are into that bs lol. But over the internet is very limited I'm only using sherdog to improve for a limited time.

The most glaring thing is that you throw nearly 100% arm punches. In other words your legs don't move all, so any rotational force you generate is from the shoulders to the waist. When I teach punching, the hand is the last thing to move, it always begins with the feet/hips. This puts full bodyweight and your punch will carry the force of your weight, all of it...instead of how strong you are.

Yeah as other posters have told me, it's hard to coach you over the internet, the best training is in a gym, but one other poster told me, if you know any amateur boxers you can make a deal with them (like buy them food, or [this is what my brother did to get free massages from an air force veteran that also knows how to massage peoples muscles, he would massage my brothers muscles after every workout all the time whenever he came to his work place]you could try buying them lottery tickets) if they are into that bs lol. But over the internet is very limited I'm only using sherdog to improve for a limited time.

Lol you had me dying at the 'make a deal with an amateur fighter' part bro. Lottery tickets and massages for free training - shit cracked me up.

The most glaring thing is that you throw nearly 100% arm punches. In other words your legs don't move all, so any rotational force you generate is from the shoulders to the waist. When I teach punching, the hand is the last thing to move, it always begins with the feet/hips. This puts full bodyweight and your punch will carry the force of your weight, all of it...instead of how strong you are.

Thanks for the feedback. I learned the correct way to throw from my coach - the way you are describing- but I don't think I did it that well in this video. I'll go back to the basics and perfect the technique. I guess when you are new and you are trying to hit quicker sometimes you can rush a little ahead of yourself and forget the fundamentals.

Lol you had me dying at the 'make a deal with an amateur fighter' part bro. Lottery tickets and massages for free training - shit cracked me up.

Lol yeah but it is true. As ironic as it sounds it is.

Back