CTE from sparring

Jamaica

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I train MMA striking once every two weeks. The sparring power limit is 30%-40%. I got hit with 35% power yesterday in the mouth. Will this training schedule give me CTE in the long term?.

Everybody is different.
It's hard to quantify percentages of power.
It's harder to quantify how durable you are.

Best thing to do is if you show certain identifiers of brain trauma or any kind of head trauma, you take a break for a week or two until you feel better.

Depends who you spar with, on paper you are all going at 35%, but if you get banged, then you bang back and end up in a bangbros bang sesh.

Once every two weeks isn’t that much. But accidents happen, especially in MMA gloves so if you find yourself taking some hard shots just go by a case by case basis on when you should take it easy.

Id say you should be perfectly fine, unless you are leaving dizzy or your vision and perception seems to change after an mma sparring session.

Depends also on your weight class and who you spar with... My opinion is that as long as you don't spar with heavy weights, while been in the middle categories, it should be fine...
A 35% from a 120kg dude, if you are half his weight, may accumulate problems in the long term if done regularly...
Otherwise I don't see it. 35% is quite low... Just enough to make you think defense, but far from making damages...

Probably... But do you want to to live as a man

Depends also on your weight class and who you spar with... My opinion is that as long as you don't spar with heavy weights, while been in the middle categories, it should be fine...
A 35% from a 120kg dude, if you are half his weight, may accumulate problems in the long term if done regularly...
Otherwise I don't see it. 35% is quite low... Just enough to make you think defense, but far from making damages...
Yeah, and if you get one that's a hothead, when they "lose" or get gassed, they start swinging for the fences even if you're 100-150lbs lighter

Getting hit in the head isnt good for your brain plain and simple. Even infantry guys in the army get concussions and CTE from the guns. Eventually it all adds up

I don't think you can get hit in the head and not get some kind of brain damage. That kills brain cells and dead brain cells are brain damaged and force your brain to rewire itself to compensate. It may not show up on a test or be very measurable but you're getting hit in the head.

It's like getting drunk every day might produce some measurable damage. But getting drunk once still did some damage.

I also think that minor brain damage like a damaged memory or headaches where you can hind it from other people is a lot more common than most people think. I think that most fighters that can hide do hide it or they're in denial about it.

Of course, what do I know -- I'm just a guy, not a doctor.

Last edited:
I got CTE just reading this. I spent close to 4 months sparring almost every day during the working week. I've probably got 500% chance of developing CTE than you would have. Hell I've probably got CTE every hit I take I feel myself getting dumber.

Bear in mind that even soccer players are developing CTE just from heading the ball, so if you’re sparring regularly...

I got CTE just reading this. I spent close to 4 months sparring almost every day during the working week. I've probably got 500% chance of developing CTE than you would have. Hell I've probably got CTE every hit I take I feel myself getting dumber.

As long as you keep posting on Sherdog your IQ is guaranteed to stay above 140

Bear in mind that even soccer players are developing CTE just from heading the ball, so if you’re sparring regularly...

Fuck, my doctor told me that even the act of putting on a baseball cap causes minor brain trauma.
Double if you put it it on backwards.

I've briefly read that cbd oil is good for those who have suffer from brain injuries each year due to CTE.

I've briefly read that cbd oil is good for those who have suffer from brain injuries each year due to CTE.
Theoretically it might be, but there's no solid evidence for it.

It depends on the nature of your sparring. If the impact is spread out and not concentrated on your head getting bashed in 24/7, then you will most likely be fine. Most world class kickboxers have lived healthy lives, unlike boxers who showed clear signs of amnesia and other cognitive deficits.

Depends who you spar with, on paper you are all going at 35%, but if you get banged, then you bang back and end up in a bangbros bang sesh.

That's not a bad thing right?

Brain trauma doesn't require getting hit in the head. Whipping motions can cause it. Fricking head banging like Anthraxx can cause it as well. My doctor told me this: Your brain is basically like an egg, except the inside of the shell has ridges that can cause injury when all that grey matter is sloshing around.

I train MMA striking once every two weeks. The sparring power limit is 30%-40%. I got hit with 35% power yesterday in the mouth. Will this training schedule give me CTE in the long term?.
Trane ufc broe
Iz better than mmgae strikin

Kidding aside, no chance you’ll get brain damage from <50% sparring. Curious how you managed to calculate the exact 35% power of the shot u got hit with xD
Just bang bro

Back