Cuban plane crashes.

Well you can’t really recondition the airframes. Rather there’s a set LOV (limits of validity), or number of flight hours at a certain loading where the airplane has to be retired. Proper maintenence, regular tear downs, and frequent inspections ensure that the LOV is maxed out before retirement. The last KC-135 rolled off the factory floor in 1965, yet they’re still the primary air refuelers in the US arsenal to this day thanks to how well they were constructed at the time.
Here’s a helpful reference:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widespread_fatigue_damage

That is amazing. wow considering the stresses those Wings and fuselage are subjected too.

That is amazing. wow considering the stresses those Wings and fuselage are subjected too.
What’s even more amazing is that it only took roughly 50 years to go from the Wright flyer to a design that can support near supersonic flight, at altitudes of 40,000ft, for more than sixty years without failure.

What’s even more amazing is that it only took roughly 50 years to go from the Wright flyer to a design that can support near supersonic flight, at altitudes of 40,000ft, for more than sixty years without failure.

Yup the speed at which the aviation technology progressed is just impressive although it seems at this point we have reach sort of a plateau, only minor improvements since the mid 70s I think.

But who knows maybe in the next 50 years there will be another revolution in propulsion.

Yup the speed at which the aviation technology progressed is just impressive although it seems at this point we have reach sort of a plateau, only minor improvements since the mid 70s I think.

But who knows maybe in the next 50 years there will be another revolution in propulsion.
No doubt. Currently the biggest developments are in technologies that improve pilot performance. Moving from vacuum gauges to electronic flight decks, and flight planning programs like Foreflight are amazing tools.

No doubt. Currently the biggest developments are in technologies that improve pilot performance. Moving from vacuum gauges to electronic flight decks, and flight planning programs like Foreflight are amazing tools.

Yup advances in avionics ( I think that's what they call it those stuff that do auto pilot auto landing etc ) that have improved in leaps and bounds.

I was just watching Youtube videos seeing those Boeing triple 7s take off I was surprised to find out that its a big aircraft almost as big as the 747 but using only two huge engines that is almost the size of a 737.

I wonder if they will build even larger planes.

Imagine plane the size of the A380 flying at Mach 3.2

Yup advances in avionics ( I think that's what they call it those stuff that do auto pilot auto landing etc ) that have improved in leaps and bounds.

I was just watching Youtube videos seeing those Boeing triple 7s take off I was surprised to find out that its a big aircraft almost as big as the 747 but using only two huge engines that is almost the size of a 737.

I wonder if they will build even larger planes.

Imagine plane the size of the A380 flying at Mach 3.2
We could get some larger aircraft, but i think the real advances will come in efficiency. Jet fuel prices keep rising, so we’ll see increased use of more efficient engines, aerodynamic designs of fuselages, better use of altitude, tail winds, and throttle use during takeoffs and landings for a more cost efficient air network.

We could get some larger aircraft, but i think the real advances will come in efficiency. Jet fuel prices keep rising, so we’ll see increased use of more efficient engines, aerodynamic designs of fuselages, better use of altitude, tail winds, and throttle use during takeoffs and landings for a more cost efficient air network.

BTW are you a pilot from the Airforce? I thought I read your post earlier you were saying you have units with the KC135s

BTW are you a pilot from the Airforce? I thought I read your post earlier you were saying you have units with the KC135s
I’m currently in a tanker unit, and I’m a pilot outside the military, but I haven’t been to pilot training in the Air Force yet. I’m hoping to get my orders in August.

I’m currently in a tanker unit, and I’m a pilot outside the military, but I haven’t been to pilot training in the Air Force yet. I’m hoping to get my orders in August.
Nice good luck.

That plane was put in service in 1979. That's almost a 40 year old plane. It really had no business flying.

Nice good luck.
Thanks man, I appreciate it, I’m excited. My grandpas brother flew Marauders in WW2, then my old man was a fighter pilot, so it’s a bit of a family tradition. Growing up around flight lines was the best childhood I can think of.

Back