Current Anthony Joshua vs. Early Lennox Lewis.

I agree. And it's not fandom talking. Wlad was the best he had been in years.

I'm over exaggerating when I said he would spark Lennox. But I think he'd have more than a good chance like for like at the same point in their careers.
Yeah I literally finished watching that fight randomly right before coming to the forum today.
Any big dude that can punch has a chance, but I just think Joshua has problems with guys that have skills. AJ and Lennox are in no way the same level at 21 figths in.

As an amatuer? Fair enough. But at professional level AJ has the better record up til current. I don't think Tony tucker is better than wlad or even parker.

Tucker was definitely better than Parker, and probably not much behind an ancient Wlad.

I'm reminded of the great @Uncle Termite frequently claming that Anthony Joshua is Lennox Lewis 2.0. What a poster.

Yeah I literally finished watching that fight randomly right before coming to the forum today.
Any big dude that can punch has a chance, but I just think Joshua has problems with guys that have skills. AJ and Lennox are in no way the same level at 21 figths in.
I kinda agree. But they would both have been green. I just think it's a bit more difficult to compare a fighter that has finished an excellent career and is well regarded to someone who is half way through their own. The difference is we already know what skills Lennox had produced. Technically he was brilliant. But he really wasn't always that refined.

Though he did go on to beat very good opposition. But I can't credit him with that seeing as we are judging at the same points in their careers.

I think AJ has overcome much more and although Lennox is one of the coolest of cats how would Lennox have done under the kind of pressure that Anthony is used to now?

I think things like that are a little forgotten with composure and ability under pressure being some of them

Tucker was definitely better than Parker, and probably not much behind an ancient Wlad.
I'll give you the parker one. But again I think the wlad jibe is discrediting him for no reason

I kinda agree. But they would both have been green. I just think it's a bit more difficult to compare a fighter that has finished an excellent career and is well regarded to someone who is half way through their own. The difference is we already know what skills Lennox had produced. Technically he was brilliant. But he really wasn't always that refined.

Though he did go on to beat very good opposition. But I can't credit him with that seeing as we are judging at the same points in their careers.

I think AJ has overcome much more and although Lennox is one of the coolest of cats how would Lennox have done under the kind of pressure that Anthony is used to now?

I think things like that are a little forgotten with composure and ability under pressure being some of them
Watch Lennox's 22nd fight that @Seano posted and tell me if AJ is better than the dude in red.

Last edited:
Watch Lennox's 22nd fight that @Seano posted and tell me if AJ was better than the dude in red.
I think that's difficult to say. And dont want to discredit Lewis either. But Lewis came out of the box early imposed himself and his jab and razor did not fire back. He seemed tentative.

That's a hard fight to compare man. I think if razor was AJ. Lennox would definitely had something coming back his way. Along with Joshua probably being way more assertive.

I also think reach and size would play a massive part in that.

Imo.

Last edited:
I'll give you the parker one. But again I think the wlad jibe is discrediting him for no reason

Wlad was ancient. Doesn't mean that he wasn't an impressive win, but he was 41 years old. That's ancient in boxing.

Come to think of it, early Wlad vs Anthony Joshua might be a more interesting matchup.

Come to think of it, early Wlad vs Anthony Joshua might be a more interesting matchup.
Both collapse from exhaustion in 4th round.

As an amatuer? Fair enough. But at professional level AJ has the better record up til current. I don't think Tony tucker is better than wlad or even parker.
Yeah maybe so but I’d pick Razor Ruddock to beat Parker by manslughter.

Both collapse from exhaustion in 4th round.

Maybe, but at least Joshua made it through. Young Wlad was far more dangerous early, but he could easily flame out early, especially if we're talking Purity era. Sanders or Brewster-era disaster Wlad would be interesting.

Wlad was ancient. Doesn't mean that he wasn't an impressive win, but he was 41 years old. That's ancient in boxing.
Yea. That is just blatant discrediting. 41 is an arbitrary number.

Maybe, but at least Joshua made it through. Young Wlad was far more dangerous early, but he could easily flame out early, especially if we're talking Purity era. Sanders or Brewster-era disaster Wlad would be interesting.
How about wlad Lewis at the same point? Does that change anything? I get there are a bunch of fanboys and that I admittedly am one. I'm also a big fan of Lewis though.. But imagine Lewis fighting wlad the ATG for the tucker fight. Imagine the pressure.

I'll admit my throw out of parker was a tad lame. And disengenous.

Yea. That is just blatant discrediting. 41 is an arbitrary number.

Age is arbitrary? Calling a 41 year old boxer "ancient" is blatant discrediting? Again, I'm not saying the win isn't impressive; I'm just describing Wlad in a very normal way for a 41 year old boxer.

Age is arbitrary? Calling a 41 year old boxer "ancient" is blatant discrediting? Again, I'm not saying the win isn't impressive; I'm just describing Wlad in a very normal way for a 41 year old boxer.
Yes. It's arbitrary. One question. At what point did wlad an ATG look better than he did in the Joshua fight? I think that's the marker right there.

Age is just a number.

I think you'll be digging quite far back to see him being better than that. So it is arbitrary.

AJ by domination.

Only man I give a chance against AJ is Pulev. Actually WTF am I thinking about? Pulev KO’s AJ inside 3.

Lewis likely lights his ass up. Punchers chance for AJ.

Itd be a fun fight though.

I don't think so. At this exact point in time in lennoxs career he was at national level hadn't even fought and lost to mcall and was very very fresh.

Current aj starches Lennox at the same points in their careers.

It's unreasonable and plain untrue that Lennox was at world level in his 21st fight.
Lewis had his first 21 fights in just 3 years, and he was 26 years old.
It has been 5 years since AJ's debut and he is 28.

I don't think your using the right measurement for parallel points in career. You gotta take in all the factors.

I really wish the ref wasn't paid to protect AJ in the Parker fight, cause handlinga strong clinch/inside game would have helped me be more objective about a hypothetical match with Lennox.

If I had to gamble though I'd go with Lewis, purely based on a much bigger arsenal. AJ's main weapon is his strength and conditioning throwing 1-2-3s and such. Lewis got 2 inches of reach on him and a crisp jab that'd go circles around AJ.

Back