Current consensus on Tiger Muay Thai?

HighestHand

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A few years ago, everyone and their dogs were saying not to go to Tiger Muay Thai, because - I don't really know actually.

I am planning a trip to Phuket this summer in August, and am wondering if the current consensus is still not to go Tiger.

Currently, I am planning to go to Sinbi otherwise, but will consider Sitsongpeenong -which others also said was a money making scheme, but one guy posted a great review.

Not really asking for which gyms I should go to, just am wondering what you guys think of Tiger now?

A few years ago, everyone and their dogs were saying not to go to Tiger Muay Thai, because - I don't really know actually.
Because beginners get beat up over there and pros have better places to go to.

Never been there myself but it still seems like a camp aimed at MMA guys and people that want to do yoga or lose weight (ie: Westerners). I'm sure you could learn Muay Thai there but you could in tons of other places out there (it IS Thailand, after all). Only have had one person I know in real life go and he loved it but he trained TKD when he was younger and does amateur MMA (don't think he's ever trained traditional MT).

I still think of this vid every time someone brings up Tiger...gotta love the beatdowns the MMA guys get while doing padwork lol:

Not sure you can blame Tiger (or AKA Thailand) for this guy but it doesn't exactly bring glory or honor to the camp's name:

kick.jpg

abuse-2.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/2y00fy/tmt_fighter_physically_abuses_girlfriend_warning/

Gotta love the Thai clowning him...maybe he heard of Gomba's woman beating reputation.

What's wrong with Sitsongpeenong? It's a much nicer looking gym that most MT gyms in Bangkok and they have/had some decent fighters fighting out of there. I was considering it when I went in 2014, mainly due to the fact that I could get my own room with AC and they had wifi (was going to work remotely after training).

Unless you're an MMA pro, it seems...

Never been there myself but it still seems like a camp aimed at MMA guys and people that want to do yoga or lose weight (ie: Westerners). I'm sure you could learn Muay Thai there but you could in tons of other places out there (it IS Thailand, after all). Only have had one person I know in real life go and he loved it but he trained TKD when he was younger and does amateur MMA (don't think he's ever trained traditional MT).

Unless you're an MMA pro, it seems...

I haven't been to Sitsongpeenong Phuket, I just hear chatter on the forums and some people were saying that it was a money grabbing business while the Bangkok one was legit.

Same thing with Tiger, people said never go there, but I never know why. They said something about the clientele there is a bit... obnoxious.

That video truly brings a bad rep to Tiger lol.

Honestly, one reason I kind of want to go is because of the facilities. It just looks so beautiful, but I don't know if it'll be worth it.

I think I know what you're talking about. Apparently the video of them beating people up was them trying out people for their fight team. Their "regular" classes aren't like that. Apparently.

I think if you looked around a bit more you would find better places to train, I suppose it depends what you are looking for.

I know people that went out, true Thai enthusiasts and did not really enjoy the experience.

My son just came back from TMT. Matt spent 1 month there traveling from Nova Scotia to Chalong He had an amazing time. He is already saving for his next trip Great training great facilities great room made many friends He just turned 19 and went alone and would do it again in a heart beat

My son just came back from TMT. Matt spent 1 month there traveling from Nova Scotia to Chalong He had an amazing time. He is already saving for his next trip Great training great facilities great room made many friends He just turned 19 and went alone and would do it again in a heart beat
Thanks for the info!

I haven't been to Sitsongpeenong Phuket, I just hear chatter on the forums and some people were saying that it was a money grabbing business while the Bangkok one was legit.

Same thing with Tiger, people said never go there, but I never know why. They said something about the clientele there is a bit... obnoxious.

That video truly brings a bad rep to Tiger lol.

Honestly, one reason I kind of want to go is because of the facilities. It just looks so beautiful, but I don't know if it'll be worth it.

I think I know what you're talking about. Apparently the video of them beating people up was them trying out people for their fight team. Their "regular" classes aren't like that. Apparently.

Are you training at a gym for the facilities or the training partners/coaches?

One post on the forum...

Futurama-Fry.jpg

Are you training at a gym for the facilities or the training partners/coaches?

Honestly, both, but I know that no gym has the best of both. Of course, I expect the trainers to be competent and at least try to be good, but once they meet this threshold, I wouldn't be that much more picky. I'm much more picky when it comes to facilities as I am a little bitch. My friend just came back from a gym that had him do stuff on concrete and stuff, and that I can't do...

One post on the forum...
Oh shit I didn't even notice!

Honestly, both, but I know that no gym has the best of both. Of course, I expect the trainers to be competent and at least try to be good, but once they meet this threshold, I wouldn't be that much more picky. I'm much more picky when it comes to facilities as I am a little bitch. My friend just came back from a gym that had him do stuff on concrete and stuff, and that I can't do...

Oh shit I didn't even notice!

If your interested hit up my Facebook
Paul Harnish

Check out all his photo album
Called

Tigers Muay Thai journey

Facilities are awesome. New and improved

I've headed over to Thailand 6 times to train on different occasions and have been to Phuket twice. First time was 2010 and even then I got away from tiger after a few days, 2nd time it was even worse. For me personally I don't like the crowd that the gyms such as tiger & PTT attracts. Once u have experienced Bangkok training in proper gyms their is no going back

I am planning a trip to Phuket this summer in August, and am wondering if the current consensus is still not to go Tiger.

Currently, I am planning to go to Sinbi otherwise, but will consider Sitsongpeenong -which others also said was a money making scheme, but one guy posted a great review.

Not really asking for which gyms I should go to, just am wondering what you guys think of Tiger now?

I trained at Sinbi back in February and it's a pretty awesome place. Trainers are good, and are pretty cool dudes, facilities are adequate. The accommodation they provide in their package is prettty sweet too.

I trained at Sinbi back in February and it's a pretty awesome place. Trainers are good, and are pretty cool dudes, facilities are adequate. The accommodation they provide in their package is prettty sweet too.

Thanks man, I am probably going to go to Sinbi, can you share what the training is like there? It seems that actual training info on Sinbi is hard to come by like rain in a desert.

Thanks man, I am probably going to go to Sinbi, can you share what the training is like there? It seems that actual training info on Sinbi is hard to come by like rain in a desert.

I was only there a couple of days - one of my mates spent 3 months living and training there and I came to hang out with him for a short while. He was getting private sessions so just had one of the trainers putting him through his paces on the pads/doing clinch work etc. so I just had a few one on one sessions which were pretty good.

Did one group session which consisted of a fairly standard warmup with a little bit of core/strength stuff, then the group was split into people sparring/hitting the bags/doing pad work. Good atmosphere, trainers are friendly, happy to chat/talk you through technique, all have like 200+ fights and generally speak good English - so long as you're culturally sensitive and have respect unlike 90% of the fuckheads in Phuket.

Sinbi is actually great despite the big crowds. Good facilities, trainers are good, you always get your pad time in. See who you like and get privates to supplement the group classes. 3 of my buddies just spent a couple months there, 2 are still there actually, and they all fought. 2 won there matches. Regardless, all love it there at the gym and have made great friendships with both other students as well as trainers.

I trained there last year and had a good time. This year I was only in Thailand for 2 weeks so no training.

I was only there a couple of days - one of my mates spent 3 months living and training there and I came to hang out with him for a short while. He was getting private sessions so just had one of the trainers putting him through his paces on the pads/doing clinch work etc. so I just had a few one on one sessions which were pretty good.

Did one group session which consisted of a fairly standard warmup with a little bit of core/strength stuff, then the group was split into people sparring/hitting the bags/doing pad work. Good atmosphere, trainers are friendly, happy to chat/talk you through technique, all have like 200+ fights and generally speak good English - so long as you're culturally sensitive and have respect unlike 90% of the fuckheads in Phuket.
So it's either pad work or sparring but not both in one day?

Back