Cutman Tales

First option IMO. Coagulant works best when the wound is more dry than wet. I think the Enswell application is a judgment call, if the cut is in a bad spot you could tentatively tear it back open a bit.

Here a write up on Stitch from ESPN magazine:

Meet Jacob "Stitch" Duran, UFC's premiere cutman - ESPN The Magazine

SideofKO:
Sorry to hear you didn't like the DVD. I saw it online and didn't even realize it WAS the DVD, I thought it was trailer as well. I was really hoping for some for detailed info.

I'm probably going to be checking these out very soon:
This one for sure-
How to Wrap Hands for Training And Competition DVD from Title MMA

And probably this too-
How to Properly Work a Fighter's Corner DVD from Title MMA

Well, I checkout out the first DVD "How to Wrap Hands...". Good, but nothing new, and it didn't look nearly as detailed as the wrappings I used to get. There was nothing between the knuckles, and my coach used to kinda zig-zag the gauze up and down on the back of my knuckled and carpal bones.

This video was about 20 minutes of regular hand wrapping with gauze and then repeat with tape.

I'll review the second one tomorrow.

I cornered three fights Saturday and wrapped three sets of hands and I have to say... I did a great fucking job compared to some of the guys that were there. I was worried about being a good corner man and whatnot but there were some nutjobs that didn't do anything for their fighters. It was terrible. They were MMA fights so I didn't go as much on the knuckles and I made sure to keep the palm open. It was a solid wrap.

I saw some guys try to use the tape first on the hands. A couple of guys didn't know you had to wrap hands at all so they were running around frantically trying to find gauze and tape. I laughed at myself for being nervous.

Most of the coaches made their fighters stand between rounds, and just shoved water in their face without reapplying vaseline, checking for swelling, no ice on the neck, no spit bucket, corner tote was absent, no towel, nothing.

So Centaur, I'd say that we're light years ahead of most people, mainly because we do our research. It's in the trenches that we'll get our experience.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot this. Funny Story.

There was a guy that actually tried to wrap the hands with that pre-wrap stuff and duct tape. No joke.

Duct tape? Wow.....

You're right though, the best way to learn is to get out there and do it. Great to hear your on it and doing well with it.

I just watched the "How to Properly Work a Fighter's Corner DVD from Title MMA" and it's pretty good. Nothing really that wasn't discussed in this thread, but a few ideas to consider.

1. Having a second mouth piece in case the first one gets split (or kicked out of the ring).
2. What order to proceed with in cut/swelling (we know this, but good to see it affirmed)
3. Making sure your assistant knows EXACTLY what to do when the bell rings.

Russ Anber is very good at giving the directions and they go through a couple of mock 1 minutes scenarios.

I been meaning to post this for weeks now, but if either of you two are ever in Vegas, feel free to drop me a line and get to meet such legendary cutment as Rafa Garcia and Miguel Diaz. They're gritty, and only Miguel speaks good English, but they're both endless stores of knowledge.

Ever now and again Cassius Greene comes around, too. He was Ali's cutman.

I been meaning to post this for weeks now, but if either of you two are ever in Vegas, feel free to drop me a line and get to meet such legendary cutment as Rafa Garcia and Miguel Diaz. They're gritty, and only Miguel speaks good English, but they're both endless stores of knowledge.

Ever now and again Cassius Greene comes around, too. He was Ali's cutman.

I don't ever see myself getting out of my white trash palace, but if I ever make it out there that would be awesome. LOL. Mi espanol es muy mal pero yo entiendo un poco. Or is it poquito? I can't remember. No lo se.

Thats badass ^

I'm ordering one for Paris right now for Christmas.

Thats badass ^

I'm ordering one for Paris right now for Christmas.

Paris does cut work, too?

Plus, I had a sweet corner man jacket to go with it.

What I want is one of those cool little hats cutmen always wear, too. Cassius Greene always wears a Captain's hat, I'm not THAT cool.

Not sure. I'm trying to keep it from being necessary for him to perform any kind of cut work on me.

Paris does cut work, too?

What I want is one of those cool little hats cutmen always wear, too. Cassius Greene always wears a Captain's hat, I'm not THAT cool.

I know! I have an old man hat, but it's too big for my small ass head. I am trying to create a new persona with a funky name and everything. So I thought that I would put a white stripe in my hair and go by Tommy Skunk. LOL.

Tommy Skunk is excellent. Or Stank, and people would have to think to get the white stripe indication of foul odor. Oh! Especially if you use smelling salts.

Tommy Skunk is excellent. Or Stank, and people would have to think to get the white stripe indication of foul odor. Oh! Especially if you use smelling salts.

Or I could just not shower and blame it on the economy. LOL.

And you're from Kentucky? No one will think anything of it. "You know how 'dem Hillbillies be stankin'. They ain't got no indoor plumbing."

I'm surprised, but Wiki's page on the Boxing Cutman is pretty extensive:

Cutman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just discovered this thread and it is now on my must-read list.

Here's another helpful tip, there's this stuff called Arnica that a lot of women use before and after cosmetic surgeries to prevent deep bruising. If you have a Fighter you know has bad skin, bruises and cuts easily, this stuff can help. Get the Arnica pellets (Boiron makes them), and you want the 12c dilution if you can find it. Have your Fighter take 5 of the little pellets, which melt in the mouth) 3 times a day about 2-3 days before the Fight.

Works wonders.

Back