Cutman Tales

Jesus Fuck eh? I remember something similar happened in Quebec with Shawn Tompkins' Team. This was well back before any of the UCC guys like Homick or GSP were in the UFC.

Whenever I fought the promoter always talked about how we need to represent the sport and show some class and professionalism. Fines should be issued to anyone who breaches protocol.

And really, the ref should have stopped it, unless he was physically unable to, in which case they should get more dominant/better/bigger refs.

Got vid?

Also:

Did you get that 1:1000 from that site I sent you? just curious how that worked out.

The ref was puny. LOL. He was trying to stop it, but the guy were too big and too strong for him. He was actually making headway until the other guy tried to do a pro wrestling move from the top of the cage. LOL.

I haven't got any adrenaline yet primarily because I'm paranoid about buying things on the internet. I've always been like that though.

Sorry it took me so long to post, but anywho, I was backstage for the "Cuba Libre" ESPN Friday Night Fights event in Primm on the 9th of January. Sharif was Fighting and at the last second Rafa Garcia Sr. stated he couldn't do the cut work because he was obligated to the Cuban Fighters. Had I had my cut kit with me I'd have volunteered to do it even for free, but alas the venerable Miguel Diaz was on-hand and filled in for Rafa. Had Yuri Gamboa knocked his guy out, Sharif's Fight would have been televised, too. So I was THAT close to doing cut work on TV. Dammit, next time.

In the meantime, recently a training partner and I got to see another Fight that features the work of Joe Souza. I'll post the part where the cut happens, but the whole Fight is worth a watch if you go to the page it's on. This is the 3rd of 4 bouts between Azumah Nelson and Jesse James Leija, and Azumah opens up a NASTY cut on Jesse, who always had bad skin. Joe gets the blood stopped, but Azumah masterfully opens the cut right back up. However, watch for the post-Fight footage, Joe has the cut re-cleaned in a heartbeat.

YouTube - Azumah Nelson vs Jesse James Leija III Part 3

If your going to fight always carry your kit. Just like you should always have your fight gear with you. You never know when someone elses bad luck will be your goodluck.

I think they still would have went with Diaz, he's a billion times more experienced than I am. But yes, I do plan to never not have my kit at an event again.

I think they still would have went with Diaz, he's a billion times more experienced than I am. But yes, I do plan to never not have my kit at an event again.

Awesome story Sinister. I would have been kicking myself had I had the opportunity and didn't have my kit. LOL. But there will be many more opportunities for you. I have fights this Saturday that I am cornering. I hope no one gets cut, but at the same time I need to get some experience with them.

BTW, Sherdog has been acting very strangely the past couple of days. You've probably heard a thousand complaints but I haven't been able to post in forever. Just thought I'd pass along the information.

I'd lilke to recant my earlier critique of the Stitch Video.

Even though it is very sporadic and at times hard to understand if it is more of a trailer for the DVD or an actual instructional, it does contain a good base knowledge for a fledgling cutman to use in order to hone his craft.

There are some topics that I wish he would have covered in depth however. Overall it was not that bad of a DVD. The most useful thing on the video is his handwrap. Though he doesn't explicitly go over how he wraps them, he does show it numerous times.

Something weird happened tonight. First and foremost, the guy from the boxing commission was a complete tard and though he and the doctor's commended us on our corner work, I still think he was a dill for being so abrasive and the crap he pulled.

First of all, the show was a decent one.

We had our own dressing rooms (if you could call them that) with three televisions (one of them being a big screen) with a closed circuit view of the fights. We fought in a flea market which was weird to say the least. Our dressing rooms were more like a haunted house with neon faux cobwebs on the ceiling and a moose head that had been splattered with yellow and purple paint only to be accentuated by the host of black lights in the room.

The whole thing seemed reminiscent of a Bradbury short story. LOL.

Anyhoo. When we walked out to the cage, the guy from the commission basically lashed out at us for the handwraps under the gloves. He said that the thumb couldn't be binded. He was having to tell everyone including us to cut the thumb free. When I told him that there was no mention of this and that it is a standard wrapping procedure, the guy told me, "We've just now changed the rules". Wow.

So the thumb was cut free, ruining the integrity of the wrap and the fight went on.

I was able to stop a bloody nose and an eye from swelling long enough for my guy to stop his opponent in the third round by tko. His entire fight, he dominated save for a rogue right hand from his opponent that landed and did a little damage.

All in all a good night.

I'm just surprised a Bumpkin would be familiar with the work of Ray Bradbury. lol

Hmm, funny you run into hand wrapping troubles considering the recent scandal in Boxing with the California Commission and Tony Margarito's "illegal" wraps. So many fans were very quick to assume Tony was trying to plaster his wraps, and very few of them neglected a lot of things like that they never quite explained what was wrong with the wraps other than that the padding was wet and "seemed to be hardening." Padding hardens as it dries even when wet with water. Even Mosley who saw the wraps himself said they looked normal to him. Then people go on an uproar claiming it brings into question Tony's credibility in every Fight, but at least the ones in Vegas the wraps were thoroughly inspected by a better Commission and signed off on.

The Cali Commission is also atrocious, their Chief just quit his job for no real reason. I hope experienced and reliable referee Pat Russel gets the job, because he might just end the shenanigans that go on there.

Glad their baffoonery didn't ruin your Fighter's night, though.

Or his hand, for that matter.

Good story though KO. You need to start bringing a camera with ya man.

That's a good idea really. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I'm almost thinking about going back to the place and taking pictures so you can see the funhouse that was our dressing room. LOL.

go see your EMT's they'll help you out. they'll have some out-dated stuff that will work.

Just a thought...you should apply the coagulant first (with q-tip if deep, and pressure), then apply the vaseline (pure, no mixing, and more pressure). Here's why: The coagulant is hydrophilic, i.e., it's miscible with the blood and tissue and should be in direct contact with them for maximum effectiveness. Vaseline is not. The vaseline should be applied secondly after maximum adsorption of coagulant (after bleeding stops). Excess coagulant could reduce the effectiveness of the vaseline as it will add to the fluid pressure beneath the vaseline (in the cut) during the fight and cause leakage. The area where the vaseline is applied should be as free of moisture as possible to minimize migration. Hope this helps.

Do people take the Adrenaline recreationally and that's why it's tough to obtain?

Just a thought...you should apply the coagulant first (with q-tip if deep, and pressure), then apply the vaseline (pure, no mixing, and more pressure). Here's why: The coagulant is hydrophilic, i.e., it's miscible with the blood and tissue and should be in direct contact with them for maximum effectiveness. Vaseline is not. The vaseline should be applied secondly after maximum adsorption of coagulant (after bleeding stops). Excess coagulant could reduce the effectiveness of the vaseline as it will add to the fluid pressure beneath the vaseline (in the cut) during the fight and cause leakage. The area where the vaseline is applied should be as free of moisture as possible to minimize migration. Hope this helps.

That's a pretty good post. Thanks.

Do people take the Adrenaline recreationally and that's why it's tough to obtain?

Long time guys! Suprised to see this post still going. I have opened two gyms since my last post so I have been quite busy. Have also cornered a few more fights and here is the deal with the Epi get in good with the ringside docs...You will see the same ones every fight. However, you will find if you work enough fights you unknowingly join a fraternity where the old guys usually hand everything out pre-weigh in. This happens in a vacant broom closet usually. I have been told by some of the old hats to work in the coagulant fist then an epi Vaseline mix. We don't have a lot of time to work that cut so it seems to allow more of the epi to be applied during the rnd. FYI if you get caught with a stipitic pencil (SP?) You will lose your licence and possibly the fight for your guy.
Nice to see a lot of the regulars stil posting!
Off topic.Prior to one fight I was wrapping hands in the locker room and Hector Cammacho walks up and and stands next to my chair in his gladiator skirt thing he always wore...... minus underwear.The long and short is. Well, I saw a boxing legends old ass nut sack. I'm not sure the moral of that story but if he ever offers to show em just pass.

Vidar, yeah that's how it goes man. For some reason or other, once you're in Boxing circles, you see way too many nude mufuckas. The funny part being they're mufuckas you'd only previously seen on HBO, Showtime, or Youtube clips of old Fights.

Back