Cutting Weight but Maintaining Energy, and Performance

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Has anyone had to cut weight for competition or even fitness goals?

What exercises do you primarily focus on when cutting? What exercises would you use for cutting the weight, and what exercises would you use to minimize loss of power output, and energy at your new weight?

For example, if you were accustomed to a weight lifting routine but wanted to lose 10-15lbs how would you alter your workouts in order to lose the weight but maintain most of that muscular strength/endurance you've developed?

My thought would be to focus on running, calisthenics and plyometrics. However, I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has or is experiencing a weight cut at the moment.

I know this is not the nutrition/supplement discussion but if someone had any supplements they take or foods they eat to accomplish their goals, that information would be beneficial.

What would you do?

Friend always when I have to lose weight, using a physical exercise, I do race by increasing the day of the week. You can take a test for two weeks running your times. You will see that I am speaking the truth.
Then you write here if I'm not sure.

Is it a 24 hour weigh in before the event? I always just cut water and can knock off 15 lbs or so fairly easy.

Are we talking fat or water weight?

For example, if you were accustomed to a weight lifting routine but wanted to lose 10-15lbs how would you alter your workouts in order to lose the weight but maintain most of that muscular strength/endurance you've developed?
Keep the same routine, don't change because of dieting. Weight loss comes purely from being in a caloric deficit, often times people eat at their maintenance and decide to increase physical activity, which naturally puts you in a deficit. The issue is people not knowing this who've been eating at a massive surplus only to fall into a maintenance when they bump their exercise up.

Are we talking fat or water weight?

Fat. I have experienced 50%-100% gain in what I lost after I re-hydrate. I'm looking for something to cut down fat, and maintain muscle. I may inevitably have to cut some muscle, however, I want to maintain as much power output as possible.

Fat loss is ideal. I do not need a quick turnover for results. I'm at my natural weight of 175. I want to get to 165, and still feel comparable strength and energy levels. I have some time to work with the program. Making the weight is not the big concern, it is the loss of strength and energy.

Any ideas on exercises that maintain strength while dropping weight? I know resistance training in the weight room, but no matter what scheme of weight, sets, and reps I have noticed I will put on muscle mass which equals weight. That is why the thought of plyometrics, and running as a solid combination to try.

Thoughts?

Keep the same routine, don't change because of dieting. Weight loss comes purely from being in a caloric deficit, often times people eat at their maintenance and decide to increase physical activity, which naturally puts you in a deficit. The issue is people not knowing this who've been eating at a massive surplus only to fall into a maintenance when they bump their exercise up.

Okay. So would you say eating the same but increasing the activity level or intensity? Would that work as well? I hate restricting calories. Plus, I'm a full time student and low carbs and calories makes bookwork, and exams a pain mentally.

Fat. I have experienced 50%-100% gain in what I lost after I re-hydrate. I'm looking for something to cut down fat, and maintain muscle. I may inevitably have to cut some muscle, however, I want to maintain as much power output as possible.

Fat loss is ideal. I do not need a quick turnover for results. I'm at my natural weight of 175. I want to get to 165, and still feel comparable strength and energy levels. I have some time to work with the program. Making the weight is not the big concern, it is the loss of strength and energy.

Any ideas on exercises that maintain strength while dropping weight? I know resistance training in the weight room, but no matter what scheme of weight, sets, and reps I have noticed I will put on muscle mass which equals weight. That is why the thought of plyometrics, and running as a solid combination to try.

Thoughts?

It's going to b a combo of keeping the weights heavy and protein up, while creating a deficit that is manageable on calories. This deficit can be from intake of food or increase in energy expenditure.

Choose how you wish to do it.

If it's energy expenditure add in 1-2 sessions per week of GPP or LISS, based on other goals you have simultaneously. Sprints can be worked in for both aerobic or anaerobic conditioning.

If it's calorie reducing, two week deficit of 300 calories/day, two weeks maintenance calories. Repeat for 8 weeks. Reassess. This tend to be less bothersome than 500 calories reduced per day for 8 weeks as a whole, and you can combine it with energy expenditure if desired.

It's going to b a combo of keeping the weights heavy and protein up, while creating a deficit that is manageable on calories. This deficit can be from intake of food or increase in energy expenditure.

Choose how you wish to do it.

If it's energy expenditure add in 1-2 sessions per week of GPP or LISS, based on other goals you have simultaneously. Sprints can be worked in for both aerobic or anaerobic conditioning.

If it's calorie reducing, two week deficit of 300 calories/day, two weeks maintenance calories. Repeat for 8 weeks. Reassess. This tend to be less bothersome than 500 calories reduced per day for 8 weeks as a whole, and you can combine it with energy expenditure if desired.

Okay that sounds like a plan. I heard high intensity training tends to burn more calories at rest. I also heard long distance is a good fat burner. Maybe a combination of those could work as well?
Do you take protein supps at all; could recommend any for keeping the protein levels up?

Okay that sounds like a plan. I heard high intensity training tends to burn more calories at rest. I also heard long distance is a good fat burner. Maybe a combination of those could work as well?
Do you take protein supps at all; could recommend any for keeping the protein levels up?

Can do one day of each to reap both benefits.
Research EPOC.

I recommend food before supps.
If you are strapped for time like a mofo...
Get a protein powder that is both GMP (genuine manufacturing practice), fancy term for what they say is in it, is in it within margin of human error.
Scoop ratio of 85% or higher. IE a 30g scoop should have 25g protein minimum. The rest is filler bullshit.
You dont need a multi vitamin protein powder with pre workout in it. I just buy mine from costco kaizen brand or MP.

Get a shit ton of eggs.

MMA Fighters Training Highlights to cut weight but Maintaining Energy, and Performance

Back