CVS to Buy Aetna for $69 Billion in a Deal that May Reshape the Health Industry

Dude, it was a running joke for me and the gf (a professor at Tulane that I met while in law school) that when any mom and pop place closed (and i was born and raised in N.O.) a CVS would take it's place. 9 times out of 10 we were right.

I bet Aetna commercial insurance will take a dive now.

Reminds me of when I was in law school in New Orleans. Lived on a block near Tulane. Had a CVS catty cornered to me and a Walgreens next door. The Walgreens closed for a week or two, and we saw renovation taking place. Got excited. Maybe a gumbo shop, or a butcher with good boudin. Nope. A second CVS. Two CVS's on the same fucking block, so that people wouldn't have to make two right turns.

Terrifying.

Why do you hate success?

Capitalism= 50 CVS's in a small town

Shocked that this is getting by anti-trust laws.

CVS is fighting for its survival with the threat of Amazon acquiring RiteAid looming. This is a really risky move that was forced on them by the winds of change.
This is also an opportunity that arose when the Aetna-Humana merger was denied.

This sets CVS up for a vertical integration ) -- they essentially control every aspect of their business other than the pharmaceutical priluducts themselves. They have an insurance company, a pbm , and brick and mortar stores. Not only that, but they practically own McKesson seeing as they are responsible for over a quarter of their North American business.

Corporate retail-based healthcare.

Welcome to America.

Never heard of what they bought. Aetna. CVS stock is down though.

Fuck CVS

b6baa2f7-cfe4-4885-b5c1-bb6b5633fb51_image.jpg

best_crop_111a2e603a96cea69ddc_IMG_0857@2x.JPG

hqdefault.jpg

Reminds me of when I was in law school in New Orleans. Lived on a block near Tulane. Had a CVS catty cornered to me and a Walgreens next door. The Walgreens closed for a week or two, and we saw renovation taking place. Got excited. Maybe a gumbo shop, or a butcher with good boudin. Nope. A second CVS. Two CVS's on the same fucking block, so that people wouldn't have to make two right turns.

Terrifying.
Nash equilibrium

Thanks to Walmart we got 4 dollar meds
Why is this a concern?

I predict that only good things will come of this for consumers.

How can an ever smaller corporate concentration of wealth and market share not be a win for both workers and consumers?? CVS's success is my success. I can feel their rising tide lifting my boat already.

I think it's a good thing. The healthcare space needs a new direction and, even if this doesn't work, it's going to give people new ideas.

I think it's a good thing. The healthcare space needs a new direction and, even if this doesn't work, it's going to give people new ideas.

It’s not a new direction....UHG has been offering insurance thru UHC, Drugs thru OptumRX (which purchased Catamaran 2 years ago, care delivery thru Optum Care, E2E revenue cycle management thru Optum360 and Software and Services thru Optum.....plus Optum just bought AdvisoryBoard....everyone else is just playing catch-up including Amazon...

There are 2 CVS's om every corner in Raleigh, only a handful of Walgreens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back