Damo Marino's spindly apendages

Day 15
Start new job today, not sure of scope so stressing nuts, asked main man if I could knock off Jits early, he cucumber, as such only rolled with one partner.

Did 3 casual 3min on bag to warm up, can do loose rear whips again yay!!! Legs are still mud but can get entire kick rom

Tech: Similar knee slice to previous days
From right: both hands pressure open guard knees down then hip up and lift at ankle, left knee slices uke right thigh, head follows under uke left thigh, left hand controls uke right thigh, left arm must be close to own left thigh, heavy hip pressure at all time, if necessary drive forward and down, right hand pushes uke left leg across body to their right simultaneously stepping left leg and arm out, right hand pins uke at right shoulder, left knee pins under uke thigh, moving right hand to underhook head and right leg to pin behind shoulder, you are in side mount on uke left side.

Rolled with Uke: dude heavy as and let me stay in dominant positions just trying to defend.
What should I have done differently? used shoulders or elbows to drive and move close arms with pressure instead of using arm strength.

Day 16

Got warm with more relaxed bag work - 3 of 3min
Did some drills on MMA bag - 3 of 5min
Did chin routine at 6 down so 101 in all.....I think
Found white beltch homie waiting for one on one session - rolled with for 10min
Nice chilled roll, really need to sort positioning, either move fast or move super steady and super tight, should've used smash pass as it feels a little more natural and knee slice is mud.
Purp, Brown and BB from previous days also rolling, me watchee
In @7out @8

Last edited:
Day 17
Woke up late, got to gym on the button, no humour
Jits tech, When stuck in your partners half from regular:
Sequence 1) Control head with shoulder pressure ensuring you use shoulder to push their head away, keep pressure behind their shoulder, switch base left leg under and scoop their top leg with your right arm, get your right shoulder as close as possible to their right hip so you are using your body not arm strength to part their legs. Sequence 2) do a wide upward arc with trapped leg to release and step leg out, switch base to side control bringing previously trapped knee behind their hip to pressure, bulldozer.

Another look: After sequence 1) If you are unable to release leg via arm and shoulder pressure step your left leg up a little and drive knee and shin onto their right hip, the pressure will help the release.

Rolled: Focused on keeping arms in, all my partners were chill as fuck, I think they're getting used to seeing me in class and want me to improve/ keep coming/ learn, super rad feels, got subbed once, improved position once, if partners went harder then aforementioned may have been different.

Lots of chat but sokay, easy day today.....cheah

Day 18
Been watching some Mooey so..
Bag work, hands only, 1's and 2's, 3's and 2's, switched to goofy goofy jab and spleen shot, switch back 5's and 2's: 4 easy rounds of 3min.
Had a blat on a heavy bag, crosses and staggered whips for around 10 easy min.

^These will be my go to, 2 shot combo's only, use small angles.

Place got full so had a stretch and did some pressups, maybe couple hundy crunches.
Watched the Gi class. Main man showing tricky tech. Big units rolling.
All peeps super friendly, fuck you tattoo on my forehead disappearing.
Looking forward to next Jits.

Day 19

Had to haul ass to get to gym for enough time to do a workout

Did some deads
2*8@60 - too light for warmup
5*5@80
3*1@120 - felt heavy as shit.... fuck knows why
2*8@80
2*10@60

Kipping chins:7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Wanted to do ladder but didn't have time
In @ 7.30 out @ 8.05

Day 20
Bi-Cycle still has mud gears - got to whare mekemeke in hawhe haora
Did a casual warm up on mma bag, just moved between positions, stiff from deads......
Jits tech
BB warmed us up, main man has been mauiwi took us through smash to knee slice pass, continuation from previous class: Left knee slices uke right thigh, head follows under uke left thigh, left hand controls uke right thigh, left arm must be close to own left thigh, heavy hip pressure at all time, if necessary drive forward and down, right hand pushes uke left leg across body to their right simultaneously stepping left leg and arm out, right hand pins uke at right shoulder...........uke blocks hip so pass to side control not possible, return to previous knee on thigh position, switch base, right arm sneaks to inside and works to pin uke right hip,switch base out to side control their right hand side, pin hip with right arm and head with left, secure side control or bulldoze.
Rolled: New goal at end of year: roll with BB and don't get subbed.
Rolled with uke: dude defended then swept, worked for leg and ankle often, need to keep legs away from him, as much as they are good for sweeping and attack they're also susceptible to sub, dude got inverted?! straight ankle once and also some kind of fucked up knee bar: need to find defense.
Rolled with white belt with stripes: dude focused on moving and defending, I obliged by trying to improve position, no subs, nice mellow roll. Need to improve seat belt.
Rolled with new guy: defended, felt pressure was easy so chilled.
2 for one, same results: Rolled with iron frodo and polish express: tried to improve position, keep pressure heavy and work, dudes re-guarded really easily, got subbed once by each, one awkward arm bar and one choke, both re attempted subs and I defended ok, iron man had me checking clock, need to control upper body of both when on top and block hips so no re-guard, need to drill guillotine and d'arce in goofy........

Happy

Last edited:
Day 21
Got to Gym in 25.
Just did short blast on the bag, 1's and 2's, 2's and 5's, 5's and lowkicks
First round maybe 3min, consecutive rounds 5,3,3.
Pace of first good, arms leaden after second, getting back into the swing but will work toward having high pace across all rounds. Will help with muscle endurance for Jits and anaerobic threshold.

Barked a lot- fun fun fun. Stripped down too....sweaty betty.

Last round arms dropping, teeped and teeped, threw a few slap knees.
1* 5min round of fend to kick and elbows.
In at 7.30, out at 8.

Attachments

• cus numbers.jpg
    cus numbers.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Day 22,
Missed jits today, that's half my weeks classes, dammit

Day 23,
For some fucked up reason I'm helashin tired, daddy needs to inu wai
Only did around 25 min bag today and 100 crunches
Brief chats to Hamo GC at whare mekemeke, feels good man

Might get stuck into the body weight at home this weekend

Last edited:
Day 24 and 25

dip on horizontal bar*5
alternate with
dip to chin on chin bar*1
*5 w no rest = 25 + 5
5*5 chin = 25

chins 7-1,6-1,5-1,4-1,3-1,2-1,1 = 84
Little to no rest

Hey man, nice to see you logging, didn't realise until now. Enjoyed reading.

Day 26
Jits day.....yay.
Did some bag first, maybe three decent rounds of five.
My puuuunnn feel niiiigh, falang no kick.
Did some step up knees, need to bark louder, more noise=more powaaaaaa.
Will try and do multiknees for cardio.
Loosened up with a bit of tigerwalking/eggbeating/foam rolling then did jits class: Mount from side; knees pin uke, left arm under uke head, right shoulder drives uke left arm to clear, simultaneous left arm hook uke right arm to clear/switch base driving hip up moving uke right shoulder up/move left over uke face, left across uke face/ driving switch of base, pass right foot over uke mount defense leg by grabbing own foot, mount.........ride horse.......points.
Notes: switching base can make your pin stronger, larger muscle groups of smaller/lighter person can easily move smaller muscle groups of a larger/heavier person.

Rolled with uke/ blue beltch/ iron man/ whitche beltch:
Uke subbed me with arm across throat....about time homie
  • Did I make the right decision at each critical moment?
  • What could I have done differently?
  • Where could I have used a technique but didn’t try?
There were a couple of times where partners had their hands on the floor when they were on top, I thought about the knee shield when I could have kimura swept or done defensive stand up to get to knees, when in half guard bottom tried to one arm under leg and sweep, I could try to switch base and scissor arm or move to north south and then control other side.
  • When did things go wrong?
  • Why did it go wrong?
  • How could I have avoided that?
I got choked a couple of times, I also let uke break my posture down, If I keep head up all should be well, arms and legs not so critical when no gi, can always slippery eel, when uke has me pinned and I'm on bottom I should try 'switching base' move hips over to get back to stronger defensive posture.

I get tooled every class..............it's all learning and the stromies are very encouraging.......feels wierd..........feeeeellls goooowid

Last edited:
Day 27
No sleep gang, 4 hours max, my dude teething

5*3 on bag, took it easy peasy just un-wound my arms and threw some good 3's and 5's.
Tried a cupply kicks, hips are stiff as fuck, need to be disciplined with stretch routine, night time touch butt in the park here I come.
Did maybe 150 knees in bunches of 10's and 20's, will up to 20's and 25's in next session and total 2 hundy..........

Blah

There's a weight vest here, will do sprawls on Friday and switchy base on mma bag.

Pm ickle body weight sesh
Chins 4-1*4, dips 5*8, chins 5-1, dips 5-1, as little rest as poss.......

Possible Friday session:
3*3 min sprawls w vest
5*20 knees
3*3 min move on floor
Press, crunch, squat, pull

Last edited:
Day 28
Who hits who

Got in early for a good gentle limbering up, did switch knee ride prior to technique in class, notes: ankles crossed at switch, butt to their thigh, sit up chest proud, click go my knees click click click, posted leg on mat at right angle to uke's head, thigh parallel with floor sink weight through centre.

Tech: Side control from one side to other passing head, from uke's right, using arm and elbow to clear and pressure uke's left which has attempted under hook, keep elbow tight to rib and pressure down, this must be a fast pass as uke can still fight to get into position, left leg steps over uke's head, switch base with right to floor, switch out and control with right arm underhook of head probably shifting to pin.

Rolled with uke, new guy and whitche beltch homie.
Worked on defending and escaping.

Uke and I ended up doing 5 minutes of him trying to choke from my back after using above pass tech.
New homie asked questions I didnt want to attempt answers to.
Whitche beltch let me play with position and broke down Ezekiel.
I sat one out and then hung around for 15 to roll with Whitche beltch homie, worked hard on closed guard.

No subs today, whew, need to do more.

Good shit mate, keep it up. Teething can be a nightmare, was terrible with my first son, not so bad with my second.

Day 29
6hrs sleep yusssss feel ggggggrrrrreeeeat, bike is serviced...yuuuussss, gears are as effective as poss, all cables and breaks peaking, pissed down today lololol, bring on the challenge of autumn.

25 to get in to gym.
Sprawls: 2min, 4min, 3min, 2min, 1min movement, 1min movement, 1min movement. TIMER....USE TIMER.......
Move on bag: Switch base to North/South and back to side as fast as poss then to mount, tried day 28's knee on belly, knees are.....no good, will have to find remedy.
4*20knees w 20sec rest.
4*20knees/20 crunches.

5min loosey goosey hip escapes.

Day 30

Had to go to mahi early so hit up the lunch time jits.
Considerably more peeps, very exciting, colored belts must be allergic to mornings lolol.

Danced around a bit to warm up, met some new pipples.

Sweep from half: Knee shield with up leg, bottom drapes uke's calf to prevent mount, bottom also hard up against uke's right knee, sit up for under-hook of arm, other arm underhooks uke's down knee, hook must be deep, roll to knee shield side simultaneously triangling uke's up inside leg with own legs, uke should have posted arm for balance, arm that under-hooked leg moves to grasp uke hip on outside, switch hips against uke's trapped leg, use free arm to smash uke's posted arm, and roll in direction of hip switch, escape uke's half, mount.....points.
Rolled with uke, 1 couply year homie, 2 new homies and little bicho lolol.
Concentrated on defending, got caught in same crank/choke by little guy, good work, got caught in head/arm from blue, couply year homie got into North/South and could have cranked but was looking for clean choke.
I should look to improve position and grip fight as its still good defense.
At the very least I need to block hips etc.
Got a feeling experienced partners were taking it easy as they think I'm brand spanking.

Sall goods

Last edited:
Day 31

Warm up, pummel then roll no tech, mood kind of shit today.

Rolled with BB, I think he was BB, maybe brown, better than me, I had nada....lolol...got subbed four times.

I have work to do.

Dude said when on bottom fight hands, when on top fight feet.
Rolled with Newbie, tried previous day's sweep but only got the first section as newbie didnt sit on shoulder, let him get back to dominant position, dude did good, kept his arms safe etc, could only muscle sweeps as brain farting so held off.
Rolled with witche belt homie, dude dont muck around, got caught in one sub, used to get caught in 3 or 4 with this dude, have realized that when I go for things I open myself to subs, dude a little hesitant.
Rolled with datch leg lock gaiii, dude likes things his way, took him a cupply secs to let go of subs, dude in a grump.
Rolled with auld judoka, dude unkind, chin in eye, chin in cheek, sallgoods, switched hips a bit on bottom and threatened arm and triangle a little, dude got me with kesa gatami.........again lolol.
Osss to you matua.

Need to find more ways to re guard.
I stretch tonight, hips and bridges, chins and presses.

There are some fuckin' salty dudes at my club.....need a root.

Last edited:
Good old kesa gatami.....my eldest son's go-to move at the moment (probably because it's the first thing he learnt in Judo!)

Back