Dan Hooker--Pulling Guard has no place in High Level MMA (New Podcast w/ Jessy Jess, Hooker, Pichel)

AdamHunter

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hope all is well. Here is the Brand New MMA Roasted Podcast w/ Dan Hooker, Jessy Jess, Vinc Pichel, Greg Wilson and Weendawg. Hope you enjoy the show.

Adam Hunter

He's right about that, unless you have god-tier finishing off your back.

I can't really think of a single guy that does today though.

The risk to reward ratio makes it a really dumb thing to do.

I'd say Pettis Maia or Werdum and still it's not a good idea usually.

Hope all is well. Here is the Brand New MMA Roasted Podcast w/ Dan Hooker, Jessy Jess, Vinc Pichel, Greg Wilson and Weendawg. Hope you enjoy the show.

Adam Hunter

Love your podcasts mang your jokes are the best. No pulled punches. Too bad when I try copying them on Sherdog mods delete my shit.

Love your podcasts mang your jokes are the best. No pulled punches. Too bad when I try copying them on Sherdog mods delete my shit.
Thanks for the support man. Without listeners I am just talking to myself.

Adam Hunter

Still using that weird intro? Who's the musician?

Unless you are one of those BJJ experts like Lovato, Danis, Tonon, Ortega etc. It may be tough, sure. But those guys will do just fine.

If you're getting lit up on the feet and you can't take the guy down, you gotta try SOMETHING.

If I’m fighting him I pull guard early in the fight to get in his head. It must be a weakness in his game. Didn’t hick Diaz do it to him

I feel like I've seen it work a pretty good amount...

If I’m fighting him I pull guard early in the fight to get in his head. It must be a weakness in his game. Didn’t hick Diaz do it to him

I mean, generally speaking he's right. Overall, submission defense has improved a ton in MMA, especially from top control and it's virtually impossible to win a decision in MMA from your back regardless of how many sub attempts you're throwing up. The judges seem to automatically think the guy on top is winning, period.

Only one that does it is Werdum.

People claim that Nate did it against McGregor.

The truth is not that it’s a bad position to be in to fight, it’s a bad position in for scoring.

I remember seeing stats back then showing that PRIDE had a higher rate of triangle and armbar finishes and the UFC had higher rates of guillotines and RNCs.

It’s because PRIDE scores guard as a neutral position. That made fighters more willing to fight from guard. It also meant that the fighter on top worked hard to advance position instead of laying in guard.

I love it when a aussie blue belt kickboxer educates me on high level grappling............

MMA is not familiar with high level guard

<{anton}>

Unless u have a killer guard

Jeff Curran does not agree with that sentiment, but the judges do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back