Dana: UFC valued at $7b now

It is also presumed that Lobov will not be getting any sort of show money following his removal from UFC 223. The UFC released a statement Thursday night saying everyone involved in the McGregor incident, including McGregor and Lobov, will not be welcome at UFC 223 on Saturday night.

“All the guys that ended up not getting fights are gonna get paid. They’ll all get paid for not getting fights,” White said. “Just their show. We don’t have that much money.

I was wondering WTF I was reading until the bold

Good job

Is that why they are still stingy as fuck compared to the Fertitta days?

Why go public and release all the financial stuff? They're fucking the fighters hard right now, why have people see that?

Holy shit thats like over 5000% profit

Why go public and release all the financial stuff? They're fucking the fighters hard right now, why have people see that?

We already know the financials
They file yearly to creditors
They paid 13% of revenue in 2015 (about $80m) & in 2016 they paid 17% (about $120m)

It's worth what someone would pay to buy it, and I'm highly skeptical that anyone would pay that much. By all measures business is down including PPV buys, gate receipts, and TV ratings. It's hard to look at the UFC right now and say it's a growing business. But, as PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

PPVs aren’t selling, but the company is somehow worth more? Sounds like cost slashing to me.

Sure. It ain't easy being a monopoly.

At any rate, it's less a comparison of team sports v MMA and more a comparison of mainstream sports v fringe shit.

The UFC isn't a monopoly, fighters have options. Of course, unless you're elite, fighting anywhere is a terrible option, but if average fighters wanted to work a nine to five, nothing's stopping them.

And even as a fringe spot it's easier to make money in MMA than just about anywhere else, on far less training and skill.

There are professional tennis players who are ten times as good as tennis than 99% of mixed martial artists are at MMA who are literally paying to play tennis, and stringing rackets in parking lots to afford tournament fees.

There are brilliant baseball players who spent entire careers in the minors making almost nothing, desperately praying to make the bigs, as the fays keep slipping by.

It's pro sports.

It sucks for almost everyone except the tiny minority at the top.

The UFC is not the top of MMA.

The top of the UFC is the top of MMA.

Everyone else is grinding to get there.

PPVs aren’t selling, but the company is somehow worth more? Sounds like cost slashing to me.

The Zuffa-led UFC was extremely bloated (outside of fighter pay, of course). For the time being (and for at least the immediate future), the UFC is going to be a money-printing machine, regardless of what I think is a rather clear stagnation in the actual popularity of the sport. Promotional competition to the UFC has increasingly shown how little a threat they pose, as well, so for the foreseeable future, barring some massive political shift in the current outlook on anti-trust legislation (which is exceptionally unlikely in the immediate future), the UFC is going to be quite profitable. I wouldn't expect massive increases from here on out, though. Most of these gains seem to have been due to the fact that WME is just far more adept at making money with the promotion than Zuffa was, as well as the securing of new TV deals (and the arrows on MMA viewership on TV aren't necessarily positive, even relative to declines in most sports, so future TV or streaming deals might not be so lucrative).

The positive financial outlook of the UFC shouldn't necessarily be conflated with a positive outlook for the health of the sport. I'm not even talking about all the people who whine about social media beefs and the erosion of a meaningful competitive structure within the promotion, I'm talking about general viewership, the development of a meaningful amateur infrastructure (domestically and internationally), and the growing public concern with head injuries (which is something all contact sports are going to have to deal with over the next several decades).

The Zuffa-led UFC was extremely bloated (outside of fighter pay, of course). For the time being (and for at least the immediate future), the UFC is going to be a money-printing machine, regardless of what I think is a rather clear stagnation in the actual popularity of the sport. Promotional competition to the UFC has increasingly shown how little a threat they pose, as well, so for the foreseeable future, barring some massive political shift in the current outlook on anti-trust legislation (which is exceptionally unlikely in the immediate future), the UFC is going to be quite profitable. I wouldn't expect massive increases from here on out, though. Most of these gains seem to have been due to the fact that WME is just far more adept at making money with the promotion than Zuffa was, as well as the securing of new TV deals (and the arrows on MMA viewership on TV aren't necessarily positive, even relative to declines in most sports, so future TV or streaming deals might not be so lucrative).

The positive financial outlook of the UFC shouldn't necessarily be conflated with a positive outlook for the health of the sport. I'm not even talking about all the people who whine about social media beefs and the erosion of a meaningful competitive structure within the promotion, I'm talking about general viewership, the development of a meaningful amateur infrastructure (domestically and internationally), and the growing public concern with head injuries (which is something all contact sports are going to have to deal with over the next several decades).

Post more
;)

One thing though ... it is still Zuffa

It is worldwide sponsored TV entertainment, not just the USA. Live sports still command top TV dollars because people typically want to watch it live and will see all the live commercials and in cage ads that are going on.

If your fight is on a televised broadcast, you should get a minimum 60/60k with 2 sponsor patches in addition to the Reebok money.

$7b Internet dollars that is

its fascinating to see how MMA interest is down & UFC & now most likely Bellator are up.

Its incredible how things have changed.

Bellator was in the red & then DAZN needed some MMA & now they should be in the black.
They really didn't do anything different, just said "yes" to DAZN.

That DAZN deal was gold for bellator. i think the mma interest is down because not everyone can watch other promotions where the UFC and Bellator are the most known AND they don't have known guys like Mcg, Rory, Chael, Rampage, TJ and others.

That DAZN deal was gold for bellator. i think the mma interest is down because not everyone can watch other promotions where the UFC and Bellator are the most known AND they don't have known guys like Mcg, Rory, Chael, Rampage, TJ and others.

MMA interest being down is part of the history of prize fighting.
After Ali, boxing was "dying" & then Tyson. then boxing had a lull & we had Floyd & Pac, etc.

2014 UFC/MMA was dying & then Conor & Ronda.

There will always be hi/lows in prize fighting

Back