Dana White expected GSP to vacate

JackSchtotll

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12...eweight-title-i-dont-think-anybody-is-shocked

The contract linking GSP's fight against Bisping to a "mandatory" belt-unification bout against Whittaker had a reason to exist: Dana White and UFC execs expected GSP to behave as did, that is, to fight Bisping and vacate.

In Dana's own words,

"“At the end of the day, there’s a reason I put that stuff in the contract for him to sign,” White told reporters Saturday night at UFC Fresno. “There’s a reason. And am I shocked? I don’t think anybody is shocked. He came out, he hand-picked Bisping and then went away again. So, whatever, it is what it is.”

“He doesn’t want to fight anybody at welterweight,” White continued. “That’s why he fought Bisping. He didn’t want to fight (Tyron) Woodley, he didn’t want to fight (Stephen) ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson. He didn’t want to fight any of those guys. He wanted to fight Michael Bisping, and he did, and now he’s off again. So, listen, I’m not shocked, I’m not mad. It is what it is.”

The people who, before the Bisping-GSP fight believed it to be a strange bout were not alone. The upper management of the UFC also felt skeptic about the entire thing, and their suspicions were materialised as a contractual clause that was indeed broken.

Contracts in the UFC mean as much as Dana's word and rankings...

JACK SHIT.

Lol at Dana acting like a victim.

"He fooled us! There was nothing we could have done! All we want is a legitimate sport!"

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12...eweight-title-i-dont-think-anybody-is-shocked

The contract linking GSP's fight against Bisping to a "mandatory" belt-unification bout against Whittaker had a reason to exist: Dana White and UFC execs expected GSP to behave as did, that is, to fight Bisping and vacate.

In Dana's own words,

"“At the end of the day, there’s a reason I put that stuff in the contract for him to sign,” White told reporters Saturday night at UFC Fresno. “There’s a reason. And am I shocked? I don’t think anybody is shocked. He came out, he hand-picked Bisping and then went away again. So, whatever, it is what it is.”

“He doesn’t want to fight anybody at welterweight,” White continued. “That’s why he fought Bisping. He didn’t want to fight (Tyron) Woodley, he didn’t want to fight (Stephen) ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson. He didn’t want to fight any of those guys. He wanted to fight Michael Bisping, and he did, and now he’s off again. So, listen, I’m not shocked, I’m not mad. It is what it is.”

The people who, before the Bisping-GSP fight believed it to be a strange bout were not alone. The upper management of the UFC also felt skeptic about the entire thing, and their suspicions were materialised as a contractual clause that was indeed broken.
tellme.jpg

"He fooled us! There was nothing we could have done! All we want is a legitimate sport!"

Well, he is saying the opposite: that they were not fooled. They expected this to happen. Dana White can be called many things, but I don't think he's playing the victim here.

It's hilarious because he's saying he was fooled while saying GSP did exactly what he expected him to do....aka the only thing Dana is really saying is that he was fooling the fans by trying to convince them that GSP was going to defend the title at MW if he won by talking about a clause he had no intention of enforcing.

So he had the clause in there so he could later say "I knew this would happen which is why I have this clause... Not so I can enforce it, but so that I can tell you that I had it. So that you know that I knew. And now you know."

Mission Accomplished

Fuck GSP and Bisping let's have more Cerrone and Cub Swanson fights!

GSP would tool the Tyron that fought Wonderboy. Tyron can't outstrike GSP, he didn't even throw decent strikes against Maia. Wonderboy and GSP are friends but GSP would take him down every round for an easy win.

Sit back and wait and they could find an opponent that interests GSP.

So he had the clause in there so he could later say "I knew this would happen which is why I have this clause... Not so I can enforce it, but so that I can tell you that I had it. So that you know that I knew. And now you know."

Mission Accomplished

He never said any of that, which means you've misused the quotation marks.

But you are free to interpret his actions however you wish.

Dana and GSP hurt the fans and the MW division together IMO. The UFC was not forced to give GSP the Bisping fight....

Georges don’t owe us a damn thing, he rather be a international playboy and bang everyone’s wives than fight these days. I don’t blame him.

I expect to vacate this thread

Quotes can be used for the purpose of satire. Doesn't seem like Dana is saying much different. He had the clause in there. He isn't enforcing it. He says that this proves he was right. So what was the purpose of the clause?

Not sure how the fans were hurt. If you're talking about the integrity of sport I would say that was done long before GSP decided to add another trinket to his collection. Title shots have been given to less deserving people than Gsp.

Everyone, including GSP's own fans, probably had a strong suspicion that he would run off again rather than defend the title against the likes of Whittaker, Rockhold, Romero, Weidman, etc.

It's mind boggling why Dana allowed GSP to fight for the middleweight title in the first place, especially if he suspected that he was going to cut and run again.

The one big payday from that ppv was not worth holding the division up and delegitimizing the middleweight title.

Quotes can be used for the purpose of satire. Doesn't seem like Dana is saying much different. He had the clause in there. He isn't enforcing it. He says that this proves he was right. So what was the purpose of the clause?

Not sure how the fans were hurt. If you're talking about the integrity of sport I would say that was done long before GSP decided to add another trinket to his collection. Title shots have been given to less deserving people than Gsp.

I think your interpretation of Dana's words went really far away from anything he actually said. So, your satire requires a lot of mental flexibility.

Undeserving champions are different from a person who has no intention of even being a champion, in other words, defend it and be active in the division.

UFC needs a legends division so these older guys can fight each other and keep the fans entertained without dicking around the belt. Did anybody really expect GSP to fight any of the top young guys? He knows his limitations at this point. Shit, he knew them after he fought Hendricks.

He wanted a fight and a payday against an older opponent and he got it. Everybody wins, except the actual top contenders who awkwardly sit around waiting for the circus to come back to town.

Lol @ Dana being Dana. Annoy him and suddently GSP "handpicks Bisping". Even if it means to admit Bisping is weaker as a fighter than Woodley or Thompson.

Now, if there was a contract clause broken by GSP, what is the UFC going to do? They don't seem to be willing to enforce the contract.

1jvs5g.jpg

Lol @ Dana being Dana. Annoy him and suddently GSP "handpicks Bisping". Even if it means to admit Bisping is weaker as a fighter than Woodley or Thompson.

Now, if there was a contract clause broken by GSP, what is the UFC going to do? They don't seem to be willing to enforce the contract.

There's probably a fine GSP doesn't mind paying.

Back