Dana White on Stipe Miocic grudge against him and the UFC.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion, Stipe Miocic, has not been the biggest fan of promotion president Dana White, thanks to a chip on his shoulder that came in the wake of his UFC 203 win over Alistair Overeem.

But according to promotion president Dana White, Miocic is very well respected within the upper ranks of the organization and he’s not really sure why the sassy ex-champ continues to hold a grudge against management.

“I don’t know why, Stipe always feels like we’re disrespecting him, which we’re not,” White told UFC Unfiltered. “We have a lot of respect for Stipe and I think he feels like it took him a very long time to get his title shot and he felt it took him longer than it should have. Then once he got it – every time I turn around he feels disrespected. He’s anything but disrespected. The complete opposite.”

Miocic finally got the payday he wantedwhen Daniel Cormier bumped up a weight class and challenged him at UFC 226. But losing his title and watching the Brock Lesnar “shit show” that ensued once again left him fuming.

“You saw that we set up the fight with Cormier to fight Brock,” White said (transcribed by MMA Junkie). “That would have been Stipe if Stipe won the fight. No disrespect to Stipe. It was just something that was in place before that fight even happened.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

No disrespect but we've Brock ready for the winner, lol.

Well, they were kind of acting like it was a forgone conclusion that Francis was going to beat him and were all excited about the "new champ" during the build up to the fight.

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion, Stipe Miocic, has not been the biggest fan of promotion president Dana White, thanks to a chip on his shoulder that came in the wake of his UFC 203 win over Alistair Overeem.

But according to promotion president Dana White, Miocic is very well respected within the upper ranks of the organization and he’s not really sure why the sassy ex-champ continues to hold a grudge against management.

“I don’t know why, Stipe always feels like we’re disrespecting him, which we’re not,” White told UFC Unfiltered. “We have a lot of respect for Stipe and I think he feels like it took him a very long time to get his title shot and he felt it took him longer than it should have. Then once he got it – every time I turn around he feels disrespected. He’s anything but disrespected. The complete opposite.”

Miocic finally got the payday he wantedwhen Daniel Cormier bumped up a weight class and challenged him at UFC 226. But losing his title and watching the Brock Lesnar “shit show” that ensued once again left him fuming.

“You saw that we set up the fight with Cormier to fight Brock,” White said (transcribed by MMA Junkie). “That would have been Stipe if Stipe won the fight. No disrespect to Stipe. It was just something that was in place before that fight even happened.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Looks like Dana totally forgot how blatantly he overhyped Ngannou prior to Miocic fight, basically calling him a future champ

Would rather see DC fight brock then stipe

"I think he feels like it took him a very long time to get his title shot and he felt it took him longer than it should have."

Well, you told him he wasn't getting a title shot yet because he wasn't "popular" enough, Dana. Not because he didn't deserve one, because he wasn't a big enough name. For a guy that grew up playing umpteen sports, it's a weird concept that getting a shot at the finals in your sport is more like running for prom king. And once you got off to that footing...well, as one of Croatian blood myself, I can testify that we can cherish and nourish a good grudge.

If Stipe woulda changed his name to something more "American sounding" he woulda been a bigger star
This dudes a firefighter from the midwest, the general public woulda been all over that, but they hear the name and instantly think hes some weirdo from the Eastern Block and dont pay any attention to him

“No disrespect but we we invested a lot of money in Francis and was hoping he was going to win. I have no idea where he gets the idea he’s disrespected.”

giphy.gif

Dana does some very, very underhanded, scumbag things. There's just no way around it, and it's clear as to why he does it.

Money. Money and women make men do evil things.

I'm done calling Dana or really anyone a bad person, or wicked, or whatever. I don't even know what that would mean. But Dana's behavior has been anything but respectful to Stipe. That whole fiasco with Ngannou was embarassing and the Brock situation is just absolute cringe.

I'll reiterate what I said before: Dana and DC are both guilty of some of the most disappointing and unsportsman-like decisions and behavior. Because of 226 I am never buying another PPV from UFC.

If Stipe woulda changed his name to something more "American sounding" he woulda been a bigger star
This dudes a firefighter from the midwest, the general public woulda been all over that, but they hear the name and instantly think hes some weirdo from the Eastern Block and dont pay any attention to him

WME should make him "Steve Myerson" and give him speech/diction and acting coaches.

Stipe should thank Dana for how he hyped up Ngannou as it achieved 3 things that helped Stipe.
1. Extra motivation for Stipe to prove them wrong.
2. The hype went to Ngannou's head and he didn't take Stipe seriously further improving Stipe's odds of winning.
3. The hype helped sell the fight and earn Stipe more $$$.
All in All Dana has been very good for Stipe.

Stipe being mad about Brock is the dumbest thing ever considering if he won he could've had the biggest payday of his life.

Stipe was a rebound for UFC until Lesnar decided to get back together with them.

He deserves the rematch, but maybe he can get the Cormier/Lesnar winner. If Jones doesn't come back, of course.

Stipe should thank Dana for how he hyped up Ngannou as it achieved 3 things that helped Stipe.
1. Extra motivation for Stipe to prove them wrong.
2. The hype went to Ngannou's head and he didn't take Stipe seriously further improving Stipe's odds of winning.
3. The hype helped sell the fight and earn Stipe more $$$.
All in All Dana has been very good for Stipe.

The fight didn't really sell and Stipe's win over Ngannou was unrelated to Ngannou's (or Stipe's) mindset

Heres the thing. We did everything for stipe. This guy couldnt sell fights, so we had to give him big names like overeem and werdum, even though they didnt earn those shots. We had to give him those guys. He is lucky and he still complains. We even bent over backwards and gave him a superfigtht with DC. It boggles my mind that he is still complaining.

Dana doesn’t seem to care much for Stipes immigrant mentality

<31>

Stipe is a great guy. is a very respectable family man...risks his life to save people...but at the same time, he doesn't sell well...that is the bottom line when it comes to how much you make..if this was pro football, it might be different...cause those guys really don't have to have personality; just play great...but in mma, and also boxing, you have to sell fights...in order to make the big money you do...and stipe simply doesn't do that...he does the bare minimum...has a very bland personality...

The fight didn't really sell and Stipe's win over Ngannou was unrelated to Ngannou's (or Stipe's) mindset
How do you know it wasn't related to either guy's mindset? As for selling I don't know how exactly how well it sold but at Dana's hype likely improved it somewhat.

Dana plays favorites.

WME did not promote Stipe properly despite having a relatable, feel-good backstory.

Stipe is not a showman, but did his talking in the cage.

Back