Dana White Under Oath Claimed He Made Conor a Star

How much credit should White get for Conor's fame?

• Total voters
UFC have had a shitty reality show for like 20 seasons, the entire purpose of the show is to find/make 'stars'.

If Dana could 'make' stars like Conor he would have 20 of them. Instead of one who he accidentally stumbled across. The Irish fans were nagging the hell out of Dana to sign Conor. Dana had no idea who he was. He visited Dublin for an honorary degree or some shit and everywhere he went people were telling him to sign Conor. He signed Conor a few days later.

So Conor didn't do the talk show tours before he fought Mendes?

<21>

If he did, it most certainly wasn't at the level or ronda...that's for dam sure...ronda was not a good fight promoter..if anything ronda needed way more help from the ufc to promote her fights...she was a moody, sullen, and just wasn't that good at promoting...while conor puts out his own videos promoting his fights...he talked a ton of trash...and backed it all up...he is the one who promoted the fights...the ufc was only in the back ground...

Still got nothing in response to the protected matchmaking? I thought so.

I think in the beginning they did give him favorable matchups...but that all went to shit with mendes...its not conor's fault it was short notice....remember, conor took that fight after preparing for a pure striker. conor also had a badly injured knee...watching that fight now, and seeing how he moves normally, it's very plain to see he was injured in how he moved.

A whole fucking year of press conferences.
And what happened at the end of the WHOLE YEAR OF PRESS CONFERENCES? A 13 second knockout. Did Dana make that happen, too?

And JOSE ALDO was a member of said press conferences and NOBODY (casual fans) seemed to care about JOSE. So, one press conference or 1000 doesn't make a bit of difference on why someone gets over.

The kid won the public over with his personality AND his domination of who he fought. I'm not telling you he's the GOAT. FAR from it. But to say he's popular because of Dana is wrong.

Dana has TRIED LIKE CRAZY to over promote people.....and they don't get over....because they don't win or dominate. That's a big part of this story.

Just like the 20 other stars Dana has made right? Conor used UFC as a platform, which is available to hundreds of other UFC fighters, and built himself. Sure he got favourable matchups, but who doesn't?

And what happened at the end of the WHOLE YEAR OF PRESS CONFERENCES? A 13 second knockout. Did Dana make that happen, too?

And JOSE ALDO was a member of said press conferences and NOBODY (casual fans) seemed to care about JOSE. So, one press conference or 1000 doesn't make a bit of difference on why someone gets over.

The kid won the public over with his personality AND his domination of who he fought. I'm not telling you he's the GOAT. FAR from it. But to say he's popular because of Dana is wrong.

Dana has TRIED LIKE CRAZY to over promote people.....and they don't get over....because they don't win or dominate. That's a big part of this story.
Eg: Sage, Paige, Ngannou etc.
Conor talked the talk, and walked the walk. Most people are afraid to talk because it is humiliating to eat crow.

The ongoing UFC anti-trust lawsuit continues to reveal interesting tidbits, including that Dana White very much takes credit for Conor McGregor’s rise. He stated the following in a deposition.

“Four years ago, Conor McGregor was available to everybody. Bellator, ONE FC, UFC, everybody out there. Do you know who went out- he was- he was 7 and 2, Okay? Guy’s record was 7 and 2. There’s a zillion of them, right? I went out and got Conor McGregor. I saw him, I liked his personality, and I turned him into a star, one of the biggest stars on earth right...”

View image on Twitter

This is factually incorrect as well as misleading; McGregor was already a two-weight champion in Cage Warriors with considerable hype, and his record was 12-2 when the UFC signed him.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/22/...-credit-for-conor-mcgregor-rise-in-deposition
And he was already ducking defenses

Promoters and fighters both help each other out mutually. Conor's charisma, verbal skills, and fighting abilities is what drew people to him and made him a star. But Dana is the one who gave him the platform to showcase those skills and then marketed him as best as he could. Neither side can do all the work on their own.

This is like NBC saying "ya they were out there, they pitched their show to other people, other networks knew about it, but WE made Seinfeld."

You provided a platform and resources. Mutually beneficial relationship. Conor is the draw though.

LOL @ the "none" and "all" votes...come on people, really? To imply that Dana is either wholly responsible, or in no way responsible, for Conor's stardom is just ridiculous lol

Did Conor invest his own money into all the marketing and promotion he received? No?

Then it was all Dana and the UFC. Building a star isn't free, and Conor was on welfare until the UFC took him in

Conor did his part in winning the fights he was gifted. I also think dana pays people extra to take dives etc. I know. Cant be proven. Stilll.

If he did, it most certainly wasn't at the level or ronda...that's for dam sure...ronda was not a good fight promoter..if anything ronda needed way more help from the ufc to promote her fights...she was a moody, sullen, and just wasn't that good at promoting...while conor puts out his own videos promoting his fights...he talked a ton of trash...and backed it all up...he is the one who promoted the fights...the ufc was only in the back ground...

Yea, the UFC definitely didn't help him with the Boston card or the world tour before the Aldo fight where the most obvious case of favoritism was shown in UFC history. Yes, Conor did extremely well promoting himself in interviews and on social media. He also did the most important thing; win in spectacular fashion but the UFC was behind him from day one and they wanted him to be their champion.

Honda didn't need a money persona.

Except that wall of text wasn't for you, it was for the other person I quoted. Your response took like 10 seconds, don't feel bad <Lmaoo>.

<JagsKiddingMe>

You quoted me when you wrote that wall of text, moron. Next time quote the person you're actually talking to.

Dana helped Conor's career by talking about him in interviews, featuring him in commercials/advertisements, and most importantly protecting him through matchmaking.

#30 Brimage: Striker
#67 Holloway: Striker
#30 Brandao: Striker/BJJ
#10 Poirier: Striker/BJJ
#19 Siver: Striker/BJJ | Title Eliminator

Just look at that for a second: no wrestlers and he received a title eliminator fight against the #19 ranked Featherweight. To understand that kind of absurdity: if you did the same thing at the same time in the Lightweight division that would be equivalent to #7 Gilbert Melendez receiving a title eliminator fight against #19 Joe Lauzon.

Meanwhile, at the same time McGregor received a title eliminator against Siver, you had #2 Edgar, #3 Mendes, and #5 Lamas all ranked above #7 McGregor with Lentz being at #9. What they all have in common? Wrestling backgrounds. You also had #6 Swanson whose a very unorthodox striker and had only ever been knocked out once (vs. Aldo, 2009).

Is it any wonder that the UFC tied up all these stylistic nightmares by pairing them against one another? Edgar/Swanson on Nov 2014, Mendes/Lamas on Apr 2015, and Lentz/Oliveira on May 2015.

Booking a short-notice Mendes against McGregor was an acceptable risk for the UFC, especially given the amount of money they had dumped into promoting UFC 189. And we saw what happened while Mendes had energy...

Solid post

The ongoing UFC anti-trust lawsuit continues to reveal interesting tidbits, including that Dana White very much takes credit for Conor McGregor’s rise. He stated the following in a deposition.

“Four years ago, Conor McGregor was available to everybody. Bellator, ONE FC, UFC, everybody out there. Do you know who went out- he was- he was 7 and 2, Okay? Guy’s record was 7 and 2. There’s a zillion of them, right? I went out and got Conor McGregor. I saw him, I liked his personality, and I turned him into a star, one of the biggest stars on earth right...”

View image on Twitter

This is factually incorrect as well as misleading; McGregor was already a two-weight champion in Cage Warriors with considerable hype, and his record was 12-2 when the UFC signed him.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/22/...-credit-for-conor-mcgregor-rise-in-deposition

It actually wasn't Dana under oath
He said it at a scrum & it was used in evidence IN a deposition.

Dana helped Conor's career by talking about him in interviews, featuring him in commercials/advertisements, and most importantly protecting him through matchmaking.

#30 Brimage: Striker
#67 Holloway: Striker
#30 Brandao: Striker/BJJ
#10 Poirier: Striker/BJJ
#19 Siver: Striker/BJJ | Title Eliminator

Just look at that for a second: no wrestlers and he received a title eliminator fight against the #19 ranked Featherweight. To understand that kind of absurdity: if you did the same thing at the same time in the Lightweight division that would be equivalent to #7 Gilbert Melendez receiving a title eliminator fight against #19 Joe Lauzon.

Meanwhile, at the same time McGregor received a title eliminator against Siver, you had #2 Edgar, #3 Mendes, and #5 Lamas all ranked above #7 McGregor with Lentz being at #9. What they all have in common? Wrestling backgrounds. You also had #6 Swanson whose a very unorthodox striker and had only ever been knocked out once (vs. Aldo, 2009).

Is it any wonder that the UFC tied up all these stylistic nightmares by pairing them against one another? Edgar/Swanson on Nov 2014, Mendes/Lamas on Apr 2015, and Lentz/Oliveira on May 2015.

Booking a short-notice Mendes against McGregor was an acceptable risk for the UFC, especially given the amount of money they had dumped into promoting UFC 189. And we saw what happened while Mendes had energy...

Brandao was a pick 'em fight cuz he's a black belt who subbed Bermudez, who, along with Holloway, was the most promising FW up & comer before Conor signed with the UFC (Do Bronx being up & down).

Siver was a fill-in fight due to scheduling. It wasn't a title eliminator, Conor got his shot from dusting Dustin, since Edgar, Lamas, Mendes and Cub ALL lost to Aldo.

Any semblance of protection was over when the Aldo fight was booked. Aldo was supposed to kill him. Then he pulled out and a phone call later it was Conor vs the strongest wrestler below 155 on 2 weeks notice. Hardly a reasonable risk. The safe thing would be to re-schedule Aldo. At least he can fight for the belt that way.

In 2018 boxing is soo much interesting now then UFC soo if Dana say he did all that to put UFC in this position then they should left his job and promote boxing

Back