danahers back dvd preview

Don't the DDS students attack mainly from bottom mount?
For mount stuff you could look into some stuff from Caio website. Roger also has a few thing on his that transfer over. A lot of attacks from there don't use the gi and transfer over.

John Danaher was a philosophy major. Why anyone is surprised by his love of super-specific word choices and general condescension is beyond me.

Honestly that is the opposite of what you get in qualified philosophy studies. I studied it part time acompanying other classes and in general you learn to understand a principle/ concept. If you have done that you can explain everything related to it in a easy to understand language. Not condescending at all.

These convoluted messes with "super specific words" and an ocean of words was always only with half educated students / teachers who did not really grasp the concepts or felt the need to impress (which failed miserably with any intelligent student). Well or classic marxist bullshiters whose only goal was to create a fog of words (Adorno , Habermas). Its a great way to impress people without any education. Fill this pseudophilosophical bullshit with something easy to grasp from time to time and they will love you for that they can relate a little. (Popper also explained that)

Thats a basic concept of life. If you really understand something you are able and willing to talk about it in a simple way.

“If you can’t say it simply and clearly, keep quiet, and keep working on it till you can.”

Karl Popper (one of the greatest minds in the 20th century and imo the greatest philosopher)

For mount stuff you could look into some stuff from Caio website. Roger also has a few thing on his that transfer over. A lot of attacks from there don't use the gi and transfer over.

gordan ryan has a great mount game thats how be beat ralek gracie and one thing uc ant deny about gracies is they have amazing defense sub defense and escapes gordan loves to set up triangles from mount trapping there arm with his shin id love to see a breakdown of there system on it

Watched that sub and his approach of dismounting to an arm trap seems pretty cool. Different then the crush him into an arm triangle/armbar approach of Caio/Roger.
(Caio Terra can do everything so his site is only a small subset of things he knows)

Last edited:
So an influx of people now using the term Strangle ????

yeah expect to see RNS instead of RNC online by people now :/
Yeah Gordon Ryan used to bait mount to catch ashi and heel hook from there.

im very much looking forward to his headlock series not so much kimura we have tons of great dvds on that the bjj community really needs a mount dvd something guys dont really like i love mount but the majority of people dont like it i do cause unlike side control you dont have to expend as much energy and move as much just subtle shifts in your hips ect

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm mainly a mount guy (which is odd since I'm a featherweight). Matt Arroyo made a no-gi mount DVD, I think - I haven't seen it. Most of the video instruction available (e.g. Lovato) on the mount is highly gi dependent - starting with and building off the cross choke. Many people seem to feel (and I don't particularly agree with this) that the mount sucks without either the gi or strikes.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm mainly a mount guy (which is odd since I'm a featherweight). Matt Arroyo made a no-gi mount DVD, I think - I haven't seen it. Most of the video instruction available (e.g. Lovato) on the mount is highly gi dependent - starting with and building off the cross choke. Many people seem to feel (and I don't particularly agree with this) that the mount sucks without either the gi or strikes.

mhm gi mounts much dif as alot of it revolves around attacking the lapel to get there hands up trap arms theres ways to getting arms up no gi with attacking there throat but some think its dirty i wana get arroyos dvd been thinking about it for months but i may wait to see if someone else releases one soon

Quality post. Even Lovato Jr seems to not love it without the gi unless he's smash passing into the mounted arm triangle. His no gi classes and instructionals are very focused around getting to head wraps, kimura grips, or the back for no gi. He doesn't seem as big on traditional positions like side control, KOB, or the mount without the gi.

Braulio Estima's InAction website is great for no gi mount options. I think he's got the best no gi mount stuff going as far as instruction goes.

It's only gonna get worse. he said his next set is on front headlocks with a focus on guillotines/darces/anacondas and the set after that is on the kimura trap and triangle chokes. So lot of choke I mean strangles coming up.

Last edited:
He is good but overrated imo
He supposed to be leg lock master I don't think he would last 2 minutes with old ken

He is good but overrated imo
He supposed to be leg lock master I don't think he would last 2 minutes with old ken

The best coaches in every sports weren't the best when they were doing it. You must have a certain level, and him being a long time Renzo Gracie black belt and top instructor says he has the skill to know what he's talking about.

He's a brilliant disabled black belt that spends all of his days watching and coaching elite grapplers. He coached them heavy on the leg lock system and they had huge results with his coaching.

Also, I watched the DVD and the guy is very slick with his technique

man people are just stupid there hatred and resentment towards someones personality or jealousy of there position to be able to coach teach guys and make damn good money really clouds peoples judgement of there technique.

lol again before you new guys even knew about john he was helping matt serra gsp ect. for bjj for mma its funny people pretend he is only a leg lock guy. leg locks are just 1 part of his jiu jitsu and he took advantage of other peoples lack of leg lock knowledge

The best coaches in every sports weren't the best when they were doing it.

The best *instructors* in wrestling and jiu jitsu are all world champions. Loads of people want to believe their no-name black belt coach is as good as Rafa Mendes but they are just deluding themselves.

Last edited:
The best *instructors* in wrestling and jiu jitsu are all world champions. Loads of people want to believe their no-name black belt coach is as good as Rafa Mendes but they are just deluding themselves.
Not always, and it depends on the context of teaching, who’s being taught, and actual results. And we’ve established why you really hate Danaher

If anyone thinks their black belt is equal to Rafa's they are ridiculous. I do think there's a false equivalence though. Many of the best instructors are world champions, but there are a fair amount of world champs that are also very average teachers. The amount of guys that are like Rafa that can compete at an elite level and teacher at an elite level is not very big. Also there are some competitors that are great teachers but can only teach their style. Guys like Braulio Estima and Andre Galvao may be able to teach any style very well, but there are plenty of others that can't.

I don't think many people are saying that just being a black belt makes them as qualified to teach as Rafa but rather that you can have world class coaches that aren't elite competitors.

I put a lot of effort into coaching and teaching but at the same time if I had a student that I thought had potential to be a world class competitor I would encourage them to leave me for a school like Atos. So maybe there's a part of me that agrees with you.

The main detail in the video is for the elbow to block the shoulder in seat belt. I have never seen that detail emphasized before. Prior to this video,I had a much shallower seat belt. I recently drilled this detail with a training partner and it made a big difference. I'm going to go ahead and purchase this instructional.

Ok, I saw the promo video clip. It was an interesting variation Danaher favors. It’s pretty good for control which Danaher emphasizes. I favored a shallow seat belt as well as it threatens the choke with less movement.

Ok, I saw the promo video clip. It was an interesting variation Danaher favors. It’s pretty good for control which Danaher emphasizes. I favored a shallow seat belt as well as it threatens the choke with less movement.
Yeah test it out with a training partner. That detail makes a big difference control wise.

If anyone thinks their black belt is equal to Rafa's they are ridiculous. I do think there's a false equivalence though. Many of the best instructors are world champions, but there are a fair amount of world champs that are also very average teachers. The amount of guys that are like Rafa that can compete at an elite level and teacher at an elite level is not very big. Also there are some competitors that are great teachers but can only teach their style. Guys like Braulio Estima and Andre Galvao may be able to teach any style very well, but there are plenty of others that can't.

I don't think many people are saying that just being a black belt makes them as qualified to teach as Rafa but rather that you can have world class coaches that aren't elite competitors.

I put a lot of effort into coaching and teaching but at the same time if I had a student that I thought had potential to be a world class competitor I would encourage them to leave me for a school like Atos. So maybe there's a part of me that agrees with you.

Sure teaching and running a class is an extra skill that you need to learn even if you know the techniques.
For teaching beginners/intermediate students technical knowledge might not be the deciding thing, but without extreme levels of technical skill there will be a lot of questions that they can't answer.
BTW. Danaher is the only world class coach who wasn't a super good competitor in BJJ I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Yeah test it out with a training partner. That detail makes a big difference control wise.

What I also found interesting was his choking mechanics. He doesn’t favor the normal RNC as he believes you’re squeezing to construct the neck. His analogy is the bow and arrow choke where it’s like a hangman noose. It far more powerful.

I like his hand fighting system. I think many people understand isolating one arm with your leg, so you have a free arm to choke at will. But he put it in a system. Someone on YouTube had done an analysis of the DDS squad back attack and figured out their was a system they were working off of.

On another topic, it’s funny someone posted a click where Danaher is showing a banana split position and attacking the free leg.

Back