Daniel Cormier: “I’m not afraid of Stipe. Why would I be?

DC isn't afraid of anybody. He just obviously dislikes the idea of training his ass off for a $50 fight against a guy he already beat.

Stipe barely generates interest and sounds like fekking Weidman lately.

I'd like the rematch, just no time soon. And if it never happens...meh. If Stipe is as good as his record denotes he will be back.

DC ain't scared...

He stopped Stipe in 1 round.

He's planning to retire next year he only really wanted Brock then possibly one final match with Jones to end his career.

I believe he's not 100% right now but UFC offered him big money to save the card and I believe DC thinks even not at his best he shouldn't have too much trouble with Black Beast.

He's got nothing to gain by beating a short notice Stipe who he just starched in one round, does nothing for his legacy. This would just be doing a favour for Stipe when he'll get just as much if not more money defending against Lewis who is ranked #2.
Stipe made it known at UFC 229 that he was down to fight DC short notice full camp or whatever. DC is taking what he believes is the easier fight.

I'm a fan of what Stipe did, but he has no leg to stand on. I suspect there would be no insta-rematch had he starched DC. He lost. Badly. He can at least win one more fight and then fight for the title (right around when DC retires).

DC is a double champion that has done a ton in the sport, with a record that is basically unassailable. He's also a fan of professional wrestling, so of course he's going to be into the promotion a bit. As much as I like Stipe, the UFC can't work with a guy who mumbles, doesn't want to do media and is sort a stick in the mud. There are guys that pull off humble and get fans. Stipe is definitely humble and chill, but the way he goes about it doesn't get fans.

No problem if Stipe's in it to be a super low-key dude that is kind of the "workmanlike" champion, but yelling on social media at a guy who knocked you silly is a bad look. DC at least admitted, in his dazed stupor, that it wasn't much of a rivalry if he couldn't beat Jon.

Back