Daniel Cormier vs. Cain Velasquez - Why It Should Have Happened

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A fight between those two guys back around 2010 or 2012 would have been a classic! We were deprived of seeing that fight because, according to DC, he wasn't willing to fight his good friend. In my opinion, that's not a good reason for DC to have moved down to LHW when you consider how successful he had been at HW and that he had suffered kidney problems from cutting weight. Those issues should have outweighed his reluctance to fight his friend. After all, MMA is a sport - it's not streetlights.

Just because they would have been fighting each other in The Octagon doesn't mean that they would have had to take anything that happened in a fight between them personally! They both would have been trying to win but again, it's nothing personal against the other. There is no mature, rational reason for DC to have gone through what he had to go through in cutting to 205 pounds jut to not fight Cain. I'll go as far as to say that if Cain were as good a friend as DC makes him out to be, then considering DC's kidney issues, Cain wouldn't have wanted his friend to move down to LHW!

You can't expect someone to fight their friend. Some fighters might, but most won't, and that's perfectly reasonable.

People who think friends should gave no problem fighting have clearly never trained seriously.

Anybody who wants to see friends fight or even brothers I have seen casuals actually stoop that low but pitting friends against one another comes in a close second to that.

You can't expect someone to fight their friend. Some fighters might, but most won't, and that's perfectly reasonable.

People who think friends should gave no problem fighting have clearly never trained seriously.

You can't expect a man to feel good about his good friend moving to LHW when he knows that the man has had kidney issues when cutting weight and that competing at LHW will force his friend to cut large amounts of weight.

Anybody who wants to see friends fight or even brothers I have seen casuals actually stoop that low but pitting friends against one another comes in a close second to that.

Only exception being Ken vs. Frank? They had some serious issues and were even talking about fighting for free just to get their hands on each other.

Only exception being Ken vs. Frank? They had some serious issues and were even talking about fighting for free just to get their hands on each other.

Why were they thinking of fighting for free? Why wouldn't have any promoter been more than willing to book that fight which should have made big money? As good as Ken was, I think Frank might have beaten him.

Lmao "not wanting to fight your really good friend is not a good excuse" - just deal with it lmao.

And what kidney issues? DC would have an easier time cutting weight without kidney issues if he took better care of his weight. He's what - 5'10? Yeah, normally 5'10 guys aren't supposed to walk around 250 lbs. If DC stayed at HW throughout, he'd sub out his kidney issues with heart issues - great trade.

We've all seen DC cut weight and we've seen there's plenty left to diet off.

Why were they thinking of fighting for free? Why wouldn't have any promoter been more than willing to book that fight which should have made big money? As good as Ken was, I think Frank might have beaten him.

Yeah, IDK or remember why that fight never happened, but I recall Ken saying in an interview that he would fight for free if it would just be made. I also remember him saying that they would rather be paid to fight than to fight for free, but that was one of the rivalries that would have been great cuz they were both beasts back in the day and both were relatively big names.

I also think Frank would have won. I think as good as Ken was (as a grappler), Frank was just a much better fighter and one of the first truly great all-around, or "TRUE", MIXED Martial Artists.

Imagine DC at 185 fighting Anderson...or 170 fighting GSP. Haha

The DC kidney thing only happened because he doesn't diet properly.

Before anyone starts laying into me that he's naturally heavy, I agree. But you can't deny he still carrys way too much fat

Of course friends don’t need to fight just because you want to see it

DC himself said Cain would destroy him.

That sounds like a much more plausible reason why DC moved down to LHW. When Cain was at his peak (which wasn't too many years) he might very well have beaten DC, although DC at HW was undefeated and he even rag dolled Barnett who was a damn good wrestler in his own right and a big man to throw around. he actually beat Dean Lister in a catch tournament and Lister hadn't been beaten in forever. So I think Cain "destroying" DC is a pretty big exaggeration although he may well have had an edge over DC. Of course DC proved to be far tougher while Cain proved to be relatively fragile in comparison. Of course one of the reasons Cain is so injury prone is that he's grossly overtrained.

DC himself said Cain would destroy him.

That sounds like a much more plausible reason why DC moved down to LHW. When Cain was at his peak (which wasn't too many years) he might very well have beaten DC, although DC at HW was undefeated and he even rag dolled Barnett who was a damn good wrestler in his own right and a big man to throw around. he actually beat Dean Lister in a catch tournament and Lister hadn't been beaten in forever. So I think Cain "destroying" DC is a pretty big exaggeration although he may well have had an edge over DC. Of course DC proved to be far tougher while Cain proved to be relatively fragile in comparison. Of course one of the reasons Cain is so injury prone is that he's grossly overtrained.

I think DC is just being overly complimentary and nice about his BFF when he says that. He also says Cain is the greatest HW in history and blah blah...

Could Cain beat DC? Sure, but Stipe could as well. JDS could as well...I mean, all it really takes in HW is one good punch (as shown in Cain vs. JDS I).

Of course friends don’t need to fight just because you want to see it

Of course nobody actually "needs" to fight in MMA at all. It's a choice and for most of them it's a dream come true. One aspect of friends competing against each other in combat sports is that there would have been a huge amount of public demand to see that fight. For one thing, they're both excellent fighters and have both been champions. Also, as we've seen, most UFC fans become very interested in seeing a fight if there is some personal issue involved. Personal issues are money!

Money is what leads me to what I consider the most overlooked point of all regarding the two of them possibly fighting each other. Because there would be so many UFC fans willing to buy a PPV that had that fight as the main event, the two of them would have greatly helped each other in making a very big payday. They're friends now. So just think of how happy they'd both be if they fought and it got so many PPV buys that it turned into the biggest or one of the biggest paydays either of them have ever had. Already good friends to begin with, the more money they'd help each other make, the better the friends they'd become!

Cain will have probably won it, DC himself said they used to spar hard a lot and Cain used to beat the shit out of him

No shame in that, prime Cain was imho the 2nd best HW ever after Fedor

Of course nobody actually "needs" to fight in MMA at all. It's a choice and for most of them it's a dream come true. One aspect of friends competing against each other in combat sports is that there would have been a huge amount of public demand to see that fight. For one thing, they're both excellent fighters and have both been champions. Also, as we've seen, most UFC fans become very interested in seeing a fight if there is some personal issue involved. Personal issues are money!

Money is what leads me to what I consider the most overlooked point of all regarding the two of them possibly fighting each other. Because there would be so many UFC fans willing to buy a PPV that had that fight as the main event, the two of them would have greatly helped each other in making a very big payday. They're friends now. So just think of how happy they'd both be if they fought and it got so many PPV buys that it turned into the biggest or one of the biggest paydays either of them have ever had. Already good friends to begin with, the more money they'd help each other make, the better the friends they'd become!

This maybe is a suprise for you but money isnt most important. I value friendship over money and they seem to do alright without them fighting each other.

This maybe is a suprise for you but money isnt most important. I value friendship over money and they seem to do alright without them fighting each other.

Friendship and making money together don't have to be mutually exclusive. You're talking about valuing friendship and I'm saying why not have both?

Back