Danny Ainge:The Greatest Athlete No One Talks About. All American in 3 Sports!

I don't acknowledge most of the "championships" in NBA history

2005, 2009, 2010 are all illegitimate as well

Don't know his mlb stats but he was a meh nba player

He was a solid 3rd baseman for the Blue Jays. I had a picture taken with him (also Alfredo Griffin and Rico Carty!) when I was a little kid.

He was a dirty basketball player, but decent enough to play for a long time. Excellent all around athlete but not HOF caliber in any of them like the other multi-sport stars.

Thorpe, Winfield, Elway, Sanders, pre-injury Bo, etc. will always be held in higher regard.

He was a Top 5 guard in the NBA in terms of his perimeter footwork. He is known as one of the only great players who could legitimately use either foot as his pivot foot.

But that isn't nearly as special in today's NBA. They stopped calling traveling in the late 90's, and basically I've seen a lot of shoddy footwork go unchecked by the refs since then. I see travels all the time now where the player clearly establishes his pivot foot when he receives the ball, then takes his first step with that foot. The refs don't seem to pay very close attention to exactly how a player faced up, anymore.

Dave Winfield is a better example of an athlete being good at 3 sports.

Yup, I was gonna post this, he was drafted by four leagues in three different sports football, basketball and baseball.

Paul Robeson was also a stud, earned 15 varsity letters in college and was also valedictorian and an outstanding singer and actor. He was a true renascence man.

tony gwynn was drafted outta SDSU obviously as a baseball player but also for the SD Clippers as a PG...was a stud at Long Beach Poly in both sports prior to that and was the only player in WAC history to make all conference in two sports (don't know if that's changed w/ the conf realignment)

granted he didn't play pro hoops, but considering he's the greatest hitter of the last thirty years (or at least one of them).....it's gotta count.

tony gwynn was drafted outta SDSU obviously as a baseball player but also for the SD Clippers as a PG...was a stud at Long Beach Poly in both sports prior to that and was the only player in WAC history to make all conference in two sports (don't know if that's changed w/ the conf realignment)

granted he didn't play pro hoops, but considering he's the greatest hitter of the last thirty years (or at least one of them).....it's gotta count.
Greatest place-hitter of all time.

We used to marvel at the effortlessness of his swing when I was a kid. I still haven't seen anything like it. I swear sometimes he was swinging so casually like he was going to bunt the ball and it just flies off his bat, unpulled, over the right field fence. That motherfucker caught balls with the sweetest 1mm diameter of the bat on 8/10 hits, and on top of that, he'd put it damn near within 5 feet of where he intended to hit it. It was like he was fucking golfing.

It was unreal.

*Edit*
And...I just realize you said Tony Gwynn. I'm talking about Kirby Puckett. Derp.

Back