Danny Garcia-Brandon Rios, Benavidez-Gavril II 2/17 Mandalay Bay

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Both the MGM Grand and the Mandalay Bay are being under consideration as potential venues to host the card. Garcia has fought several times in both venues. And Rios headlined two events at the Mandalay Bay.

BoxingScene.com has been advised that a deal is nearly complete for a Las Vegas doubleheader on February 17th.

In the main event, former two division champion Danny Garcia (33-1, 19 KOs) will finally make his return to the ring, against another former champion, Brandon Rios (34-3-1, 25 KOs).

Garcia, 29 years old, has been out of the ring since March of this year, when he lost a close twelve round split decision to Keith Thurman in their highly anticipated welterweight unification clash at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

garcia-rios.jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/danny-garcia-brandon-rios-benavidez-gavril-ii-eyed-217--123480

Rios vs Garcia will be a fun fight but Garcia should be fighting a better class of fighter.

Rios vs Garcia will be a fun fight but Garcia should be fighting a better class of fighter.
I agree.

More interested in Benavidez getting past Gavril. I think he should take it comfortably, what about you?

I agree.

More interested in Benavidez getting past Gavril. I think he should take it comfortably, what about you?
I seem to remember thinking Benavidez won the first one clear.

I seem to remember thinking Benavidez won the first one clear.
Yep I agree, I saw the fight live and I didn’t understood Mayweather’s camp complaints. Benavidez won in a really good fight. I don’t have any problems watching the rematch

I see my guy Danny's still shooting for the stars.

{<jordan}

It might be, but I think it's more likely to turn out as a one-sided beating that becomes hard to watch. I'm thinking it will be more like Mathysse vs Provodnikov. In his prime, Rios would be a fun fight against Garcia but I just think it's too late for him to fight this kind of competition.

It might be, but I think it's more likely to turn out as a one-sided beating that becomes hard to watch. I'm thinking it will be more like Mathysse vs Provodnikov. In his prime, Rios would be a fun fight against Garcia but I just think it's too late for him to fight this kind of competition.
Garcia is hardly ever in anything but a close fight. Rios actually looked half decent his last time out too. I think its a good Tv fight but a disappointing Danny Garcia fight.

Just announced. Sorry, my phone is having a glitch or something, and I can't post link

Thank you for the link good sir.

Rios is a bit of an asshole from what I have seen, so I haven't minded seeing him catch a beating in the past. At this point tho, it is getting cruel.

A few years back I wouldn't have thought that Danny could stop Rios, considering Rios' durability. But Bradley was able to stop him and he's not exactly a heavy hitter. This will be entertaining for a bit but Rios is gone imo. No way he wins and very likely he comes out of it speaking worse than he already does.

Danny 'Cherries Only' Garcia never fails to disappoint.

Rios has scrambled eggs for brains and I say that with all seriousness. He gets lost in the middle of his sentences. He forgets what he was about to say. He is so done and I am saddened that his previous retirement didn't stick. That being said anyone with a resume like Danny who can fight anyone he wants deciding to shorten the life of a brain damaged punching bag like Rios is just an asshole. Fight a can if you want but this is nonsense.

I guess he couldn't get Erik Morales out of the Cantina for a third fight so he had to go with Rios instead.

It's getting to the point where I really question if Rios should even be allowed to fight.

It's getting to the point where I really question if Rios should even be allowed to fight.

It's getting to the point where I really question is Danny Garcia even wants to fight. To be honest, I don't think he's been interested in fighting for years. Any time I see him interviewed he gives this impression that he hates boxing and wants to get as much money as possible, doing as little as possible, then retire.

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to make some money and get out without brain damage. But at least Keith Thurman, Errol Spence, and the other guys are vocal about wanting to be the best and fight other top guys. I have very little interest in Danny Garcia these days, and that's a shame because he was a good fighter.

It's getting to the point where I really question is Danny Garcia even wants to fight. To be honest, I don't think he's been interested in fighting for years. Any time I see him interviewed he gives this impression that he hates boxing and wants to get as much money as possible, doing as little as possible, then retire.

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to make some money and get out without brain damage. But at least Keith Thurman, Errol Spence, and the other guys are vocal about wanting to be the best and fight other top guys. I have very little interest in Danny Garcia these days, and that's a shame because he was a good fighter.

I generally agree with what you're saying, but he did fight Thurman to a competitive decision last year. Someone who has completely checked out wouldn't be able to do that (and it's not like Garcia was ever talented enough to just coast through against a guy like Thurman). He's not good enough to be the guy at WW (which I think he's aware of), but I think he'll show up prepared for a few more good-paying, high-profile fights in his career. Until he gets those fights, we're probably going to see more of this ridiculous matchmaking, though.

It would be really something if Rios caught him early and stopped him.

Upset of the year. It could happen.

Back