Datsusara MMA Battlepack 1 (BP-1)

I really beleive that this will be the last bag I will ever buy. The more I read about it the more I cant wait to visit the US at the end of hte month to get it.

Props to Chris for answering all my questions and accomodating my request.

Here's a question I dont think has been asked yet. How much in weight have people put into this bag?

I figure it wouldnt be uncommon that 15-20 lbs of gear could possibly be put into the bag. Let's say 2 DW Gis (5lbs each) couple of water bottles, gloves, cup, mouth guard, etc etc

Also for someone that has put a substantial amount of heavy stuff in the bag, how do the straps look when the bag is on (do they look like they are straining?) I think many who have torn and ripped bags will agree the straps are the first to go.

I got my bag and love it, it really does hold a lot of stuff.

I have to say I am very impressed with the zippers, they are awesome!

I really beleive that this will be the last bag I will ever buy. The more I read about it the more I cant wait to visit the US at the end of hte month to get it.

Props to Chris for answering all my questions and accomodating my request.

I thought the same thing. Here is my Datsusara story.

Chris offers fantastic customer support, something that most business do not do anymore, I will say that first.

I bought a BP-1 a few months ago, and I was excited to get this great bag people rave about. I took it to the gym one time and when I was leaving I go to put the bag on around my back and I hear a nice loud pop sound. The threads holding one of the shoulder straps broke. I emailed Chris and he gladly did an exchange. I didn't think the BP fit my needs, so when doing the exchange I paid the difference and Chris sent me a PGB2.

I love my PGB2, it fits everything that I need for training, and it still has plenty of room to spare. I have been using it for all my jiu-jitsu and weightlifting training. It has become my main bag, and I must tell you I am a backpack lover. It is the perfect size for me, I want to have extra space in a bag, I don't want it just to be packed to the gills, so the PGB2 was great for me.

Fast forward to tonight, I take my bag out of my car and proceed into the gym to change, I get into the dressing room and notice a nice big rip on the side pocket...on the damn THREADS. The side pocket that ripped was not overstuffed by any means, it contains a roll of tape, pair of socks, and I believe a cup or handwraps. There is nothing in my car that it could of snagged on, and I don't do anything odd with the bag. It sits on the floor when I at home, I don't cram it around and put stress on the threads. So, basically in a few weeks once the threads keep coming out then I will have one less side pocket on my bag.

I hope I can take it to this really great lady that does seam work.

Love Chris and his customer service, but don't love the durability I have experienced.

The tear is on a side pocket, upper corner, about 2-3 inches. And again, I do nothing weird with my bag, and I sure as hell don't stuff it full of shit, and I never have put anything with a point into the bag(pens, knives, etc....).

Edited any comments I had on "other" bags I have owned. I read through it again, and sorry Froggy, but I don't see any classless bitching in my post. I just see an honest experience that a buyer had with the bag.

I thought the same thing. Here is my Datsusara story.

Chris offers fantastic customer support, something that most business do not do anymore, I will say that first.

I bought a BP-1 a few months ago, and I was excited to get this great bag people rave about. I took it to the gym one time and when I was leaving I go to put the bag on around my back and I hear a nice loud pop sound. The threads holding one of the shoulder straps broke. I emailed Chris and he gladly did an exchange. I didn't think the BP fit my needs, so when doing the exchange I paid the difference and Chris sent me a PGB2.

I love my PGB2, it fits everything that I need for training, and it still has plenty of room to spare. I have been using it for all my jiu-jitsu and weightlifting training. It has become my main bag, and I must tell you I am a backpack lover. It is the perfect size for me, I want to have extra space in a bag, I don't want it just to be packed to the gills, so the PGB2 was great for me.

Fast forward to tonight, I take my bag out of my car and proceed into the gym to change, I get into the dressing room and notice a nice big rip on the side pocket...on the damn THREADS. The side pocket that ripped was not overstuffed by any means, it contains a roll of tape, pair of socks, and I believe a cup or handwraps. There is nothing in my car that it could of snagged on, and I don't do anything odd with the bag. It sits on the floor when I at home, I don't cram it around and put stress on the threads. So, basically in a few weeks once the threads keep coming out then I will have one less side pocket on my bag.

I have stupid Nike gym bags that most likely cost $25 that are 6+ years old that still haven't ripped........

I paid $120 which I thought was a little high to set the price point in the first point for this bag, but I read so many great things about it, I decided to try it out. If I could go back I would order the Koral Monster Bag for $65, that was my first choice of a new bag until I started reading all of the reviews on Datsusara. I believe Chris has since lowered his prices, but I am having a hard time believing that they shouldn't be even lower.

My first one, broke the first trip to the gym. My second one broke after using it for 5-6 months. I just don't consider that a great product.

I hope I can take it to this really great lady that does seam work, I am thinking she might be able to fix the shoddy stitching, or I will just be out of a side pocket.

My $50 Under Armor bag that I used 1.5 years before the PGB2 never had any problems.

Love Chris and his customer service, but don't love the price and the durability I have experienced.

The tear is on a side pocket, upper corner, about 2-3 inches. And again, I do nothing weird with my bag, and I sure as hell don't stuff it full of shit, and I never have put anything with a point into the bag(pens, knives, etc....).

sounds odd but reasons like this are why we changed manufacturers. it really gets to me to hear stories like this ( although most are very positive). the new bags will have a 3 year guarantee and as for the current bags out there we have always replaced any that had trouble. It is BS that you are having these problems but like I said some of the units had manufacturing issues and it was impossible to tell without trying to tear them all.

pm me and i'll send you a prototype of the PGB-03 next week. if you can break the 03 i'll give you a medal, it's tough as nails.

if any of the rest of you have problems don't hesitate to contact us right away.

i can't even tell you how hard it is to do what we are doing with so little money, but we are trying very hard here and i promise that we are getting things under control and assuming one of the big guys doesn't try to destroy us we will be here and only getting better for quite some time.

Funny thing is I wrote the review back when I was in L.A last year after meeting Chris at Legends and I have to say that my bag is holding real good ! Like Chris mentioned earlier he had some issues with his manufacturer which isn't a surprise knowing that he's using hemp. Anyways my point is that even though Aspen seems to have some major problem (BS or not, personally I don't know and I don't care) Chris is always working hard to come up with some really good stuff, always improving his products.

Aspen, mate you should have pm Chris instead of writing a freakin' novel on your problems... Chris mentioned several times that he had some issues and was more than happy to replace bags with defects... There are better ways to deal with that kind of shit than saying that on a forum...
Don't get me wrong you have the right to bitch about it I just think it wasn't really appropriate that's all... You just make it sounds like that his bags are shit in general as oppose to the fact that you got a defective bag (bad luck)
Like I said I have mine since they got released and I do use it intensively (fully loaded, heavy shit in, gloves, camera gear, gis ... )
I dunno deal with Chris directly instead of contacting him on a forum ... Classless IMO ...

Funny thing is I wrote the review back when I was in L.A last year after meeting Chris at Legends and I have to say that my bag is holding real good ! Like Chris mentioned earlier he had some issues with his manufacturer which isn't a surprise knowing that he's using hemp. Anyways my point is that even though Aspen seems to have some major problem (BS or not, personally I don't know and I don't care) Chris is always working hard to come up with some really good stuff, always improving his products.

Aspen, mate you should have pm Chris instead of writing a freakin' novel on your problems... Chris mentioned several times that he had some issues and was more than happy to replace bags with defects... There are better ways to deal with that kind of shit than saying that on a forum...
Don't get me wrong you have the right to bitch about it I just think it wasn't really appropriate that's all... You just make it sounds like that his bags are shit in general as oppose to the fact that you got a defective bag (bad luck)
Like I said I have mine since they got released and I do use it intensively (fully loaded, heavy shit in, gloves, camera gear, gis ... )
I dunno deal with Chris directly instead of contacting him on a forum ... Classless IMO ...

Better ways to deal with this kind of shit? I make it sound like his bags are shit?

Sorry, I didn't know giving honest reviews and opinions of products was considered bashing them.

I praised Chris and his customer service how many times in my post? Count that shit up. Writing a follow-up after using a product for a few months isn't classless, it is called informing the consumer. I think Chris is a great guy, and I hope is company thrives, I am sure in a few years he will be coming out with more products and I hope he does well. But I have every right to come the place where I read about Datsusara and let my experience be known. Bitching? No, it is just me informing people about my fucking experience. I would love to be writing about how great my bag has been, which it has, and I don't think having one less side pocket is going to make me go cry in the corner.

Froggy the other classless shit I have been doing for the past few months includes me trying to push the bags on my training partners, I just hope that now when the want to look at it they don't notice the pocket ripping. Maybe you should think about what you write instead of just rambling your mouth off. I didn't know that having a bad experience with a bag and writing about it on a forum was so wrong. Chris is a big boy that can take up for himself and his product, I don't think he needs your protection. All products have lemons in the batch, it doesn't matter if you are buying nail clippers or a new car, there is going to be some defective ones in the bunch.

And I don't bitch or make up BS stories about things. If I had been doing anything stupid with my bag, or put it around any sharp objects/edges that could of snagged it then there is no way in hell I would have posted anything. I am always the first to accept fault if I did something wrong.

Froggy check my other post about Datsusara, I have always advised people to buy one.

Chris I am glad to hear that you are switching manufactures, I hope that you have a better experience with the new one. I like that you are offering 3 year guarantees and I really hope that doesn't end up hurting your business. I have experience with people claiming guarantees with fabric products, and I have seen a lot of people purposely tear things just to get a new item. Please make sure your guarantee doesn't allow that, I would hate to see you take a hit from fraudulent claims.

ok guys calm down, lets not turn this into fight thread. i actually appreciate the honest review. just keep in mind that the bp broke because you got one of the units before we reinforced all of them here in the US (after we realized they had weak shoulder strap stitching like the PGBs). as for the PGB breaking like that we have had exactly 3 of those kind of tears reported including yours and one was simply from overstuffing.

in any case i can totally see why you feel burned and don't trust us now. i lose sleep constantly over just the kind of scenario. all i can do is backup our gear by replacing things or paying for repairs, that is until we get the new bags here soon and i can fully trust their strength. as i see it it is our responsibility to deal with all gear problems within a reasonable amount of time and i have done so in each case so far no matter the cost to the bottom line. we take care of our people here. Yes offering 3 year guarantees might be risky, but I really don't think anyone will want to break the bags and I'll discourage it by only offering repairs to the current gear rather then upgrades. but seriously i have tried to tear the new bags using all my force, i couldn't do it.

i really appreciate all of you whop have seen the greater vision and stuck with us through this tough time. we are building something really great here, and we hope others will understand that as we grow.

such an awsome bag when I get more money I want to pick one up.

i want the bag badly anyone know when it's gonna be available?

The PBG-03 or the BP-01? The Battlepack is still in stock but the Pro Gear Bag 03 will be coming soon, maybe a few months at the most and pre orders should be setup by the end of august here.

I'm a little confused on the listed size of the BP-1.

13x22x6 inches...

I was under the impression the bag was a bit bigger than that? That seems rather small... as a large daypack is usually 2000+ cubic inches or so. About how many cubic inches is this bag? I'm used to seeing this listed with packs... and manufacturers tend to vary in how they measure the bag in LxWxH. ;)

Any chance the BP-2 is going to be a bit larger? Currently I carry: single weave gi, 16 oz gloves, 8 oz bag gloves, 2 pair wraps, knee pads, boxing shoes, cup, 2 water bottles, towel, and misc stuff and it all barely fits in a 24x11x12 duffel bag... and sooner or later I'll want to put my boxing headgear and foul protector in there too... I'd rather have it all in a backpack as I hoof it a lot.

I have the BP-01 and the PGB-01. Both are still as good as new. Well worth the price imo!

I'm a little confused on the listed size of the BP-1.

13x22x6 inches...

I was under the impression the bag was a bit bigger than that? That seems rather small... as a large daypack is usually 2000+ cubic inches or so. About how many cubic inches is this bag? I'm used to seeing this listed with packs... and manufacturers tend to vary in how they measure the bag in LxWxH. ;)

Any chance the BP-2 is going to be a bit larger? Currently I carry: single weave gi, 16 oz gloves, 8 oz bag gloves, 2 pair wraps, knee pads, boxing shoes, cup, 2 water bottles, towel, and misc stuff and it all barely fits in a 24x11x12 duffel bag... and sooner or later I'll want to put my boxing headgear and foul protector in there too... I'd rather have it all in a backpack as I hoof it a lot.

Hmm cubic measurement, i'll see about getting that for you, but we are near the end of the BP-01's and working on the BP-02 which will be a bit larger. it still will be smaller then the PGB-03 of course but we are trying to make it pretty huge without being ridiculous. we also get lots of requests for smaller packs since many pack buyers just want space for jits stuff, so we'll have more sizes in the future.

As for me I fit my gi, 16oz gloves, 4oz gloves, mouthguard, cup, underwear, tape and misc all in the BP-01, just can't fit the my padded headgear in it. I am 5ft9 and 150lbs

oh and...thanks Bobby for the support

Quick question all. Would you care if the new bp-02 has a hydration pocket for Camelback like units? would that be useful at all for those of you using the pack outside of the gym.

Btw the design is almost done and pre-orders will go up likely within the next 2 weeks. I think the BP1 was crap compared to what is coming, plus our new manufacturers will make it tough as nails.

Quick question all. Would you care if the new bp-02 has a hydration pocket for Camelback like units? would that be useful at all for those of you using the pack outside of the gym.

Btw the design is almost done and pre-orders will go up likely within the next 2 weeks. I think the BP1 was crap compared to what is coming, plus our new manufacturers will make it tough as nails.

that would be a cool azz idea!!! Can't wait to place my prerder:icon_conf

A. Quick question all. Would you care if the new bp-02 has a hydration pocket for Camelback like units? would that be useful at all for those of you using the pack outside of the gym.

B. Btw the design is almost done and pre-orders will go up likely within the next 2 weeks. I think the BP1 was crap compared to what is coming, plus our new manufacturers will make it tough as nails.

A. although the idea is cool, my honest opinion is that a hydration pocket would be completely pointless for a MMA-inspired backpack since the backpack will be taken off during training. instead of a hydration pocket, I would rather have a bigger capacity backpack.

B. can't wait!!

Hey, Codell, totally OT, but I noticed that you sold out all of your gis. Does this mean we can expect a new batch of those soon?
And in bigger sizes?

Hey, Codell, totally OT, but I noticed that you sold out all of your gis. Does this mean we can expect a new batch of those soon?
And in bigger sizes?

it will be awhile before we get back to the gis. the need to finish the backpack first and then move to shorts, after that we get back to the gis. the gis were really expensive and really hard to make with hemp, no one else does them with hemp in the BJJ style single/double/gold weave so we had to get the fabric made custom. we will get back to them but it's not our biggest product so it might be another year or so. i do promise other sizes when we do.

thanks for the BP feedback all. the hydration pocket wont take away from the bag really, but we might toss it since most people we asked don't care. i was just wondering how many people might use this outside of the gym, it's such a beast i keep thinking it would be good for hiking or what not too.

the hydration pocket wont take away from the bag really, but we might toss it since most people we asked don't care. i was just wondering how many people might use this outside of the gym, it's such a beast i keep thinking it would be good for hiking or what not too.

since there are already a plethora of hiking equipment out there, I think it would be cool to focus specifically on MMA for your products.
just my two cents.
thanks, bro

Back