David Jacobs...

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I just saw in Facebook that David Jacobs passed away. Can anybody confirm this? He used to post here and on the UG. He reffed a few of my matches . I didn’t really know him, but he seemed like a good guy and a fine ambassador to our sport.

The thread on mma.tv has multiple confirmations so I think it is legit. He was hospitalized for a stroke last year but I do not know if that is related to his recent passing.

That's so sad... He was a terrific human being. I first met him in 2003 back at Yamasaki's, so sorry to hear about this...

Damn, this is terrible. I once saw him compete against Wilson Reis and he gave Wilson a tough time. I'll always remember him in the video where Ryan Hall choked out a drunk in a restaurant. Dave just sat there calm as could be. Rest in peace, Rock.

He was a genuinely nice guy and an og in NoVA bjj. Heartbreaking news and he will be missed :(

I just saw in Facebook that David Jacobs passed away. Can anybody confirm this? He used to post here and on the UG. He reffed a few of my matches . I didn’t really know him, but he seemed like a good guy and a fine ambassador to our sport.

Great dude. Oh, and by the way, he is not putting down his fucking pasta for anything!

Terrible news, he was a longtime bastion of the early American BJJ scene.

Dave was a great guy. I knew him for over ten years at least. I used to run into him on the Metro in DC after work. Got to sit and talk with him for like 30 minutes straight those times. He was a lifetime martial artist and had a lot of wisdom.

It's a big loss for the community. Not only was he a great guy running a great gym, but he was also one of our most senior American refs in the IBJJF. It's a loss for anyone who competes.

Thanks for all your help over the years Dave. You were one of the good guys. Rest in peace.

I didn’t really know him, but he seemed like a good guy and a fine ambassador to our sport.

I knew him and can confirm. He was a genuinely good guy and great for the community.

Thanks for making this thread Bill.

Really sad to hear this! I remember his posts on the forum and watch him compete on video like a decade ago as well.

RIP!

The thread on mma.tv has multiple confirmations so I think it is legit. He was hospitalized for a stroke last year but I do not know if that is related to his recent passing.

I didn’t know that he had a stroke. Does anybody know how old he was? He seemed like a young enough guy. RIP

This is sad news. I remember his posts here. May he rest in peace.

I didn’t know that he had a stroke. Does anybody know how old he was? He seemed like a young enough guy. RIP

51 I believe. No one has discussed the cause of death but the stroke was about a year ago.

Last edited:
Lots of time after a stroke, some sort of surgery is performed to remove a blockage and/or they install a defibrillator .. they did that to my mom and maybe a year later she passed. The doc said "natural causes" but it was kinda understood that the stroke took alot out of her and contributed to her death. RIP Dave, you're a warrior on lots of my old grappling dvds and I'd be remiss to not give Ma a shout out as well. See you soon(hopefully not too soon):oops:

hey guys, from what we can gather it was medically related, either a stroke or a seizure. Dave had experienced both in the past year. his service will be the 14th of January at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home, 9902 Braddock Rd, Fairfax, VA 22032 for all who would like to attend, and in lieu of flowers, the family is asking that donations be made to The Katherine Hanley Family Shelter in Fairfax, Virginia in his name.

hey guys, from what we can gather it was medically related, either a stroke or a seizure. Dave had experienced both in the past year. his service will be the 14th of January at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home, 9902 Braddock Rd, Fairfax, VA 22032 for all who would like to attend, and in lieu of flowers, the family is asking that donations be made to The Katherine Hanley Family Shelter in Fairfax, Virginia in his name.

Thanks for the information. Sorry for your loss. I'm sure his students are all devastated! He will be missed in NoVA bjj and in the bjj community at large. He was always my go to recommendation to people that asked about gyms other than ours.

I saw this on Facebook and Reddit. Sad news. He was a great contributor here and a staple of the BJJ community.

there will be a community celebration of Dave's love for Jiu Jitsu and friends on the 13th of Jan at our academy. All are welcome to come, and hope to see some of you there.

Edit* Address is: 8501 Tyco Rd, Vienna, Virginia 22182

Back