David Taylor vs. Hassan Yazdani - Match Analysis (Worlds '18)

DPS831

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Hey guys - just posted a new video that analyzes a really exciting freestyle wrestling match between David Taylor and Hassan Yazdani from the 2018 World Championships. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Take care,

Dan

Great stuff. Yazdani’s underhook offense is the stuff of nightmares. Really impressed by Taylor in this match.

Last edited:
I watched that match a few weeks ago; 'stepping over the overhook' looked like something Taylor identified specifically to deal with the situation of Yazdani getting to the underhook drive he wants.

Good breakdown. This was such a fun match. I didn't realize how high of a pace, Taylor can hold for all 6 minutes, Yazdani or not, if you face Taylor, he will make you work.

Even though I don’t exactly like Taylor as a person a lot of the time. His style is fun

Its impossible to know, but I wonder how much of the swing of this match had to do with heart/desire/focus and how much actually had to do with conditioning. Looking closely, Taylor shows quite a few signs that he was tired too, especially after the match, but he was able to push through better than Yazdani was.

Its impossible to know, but I wonder how much of the swing of this match had to do with heart/desire/focus and how much actually had to do with conditioning. Looking closely, Taylor shows quite a few signs that he was tired too, especially after the match, but he was able to push through better than Yazdani was.
You always get tired. It’s how well you deal with it

I absolutely loved this match!
In many ways this match represents to me the clash of the best of both the Iranian style of wrestling versus American style wrestling. AS an American, I feel our superior gas tanks get us through tough spots where we lack technically. Yazdani was really putting it on Taylor with his underhook offense. I am a huge fan of both. When Burroughs found himself without the ability to medal in Rio, I rooted for Yazdani. I have had my eyes on him since he defeated Pico at age-level worlds for gold.

I think cardio is like any other physical trait such as strength, speed etc... you can work on it all you want but we all have our genetic limit and some people have higher limits.

I think cardio is like any other physical trait such as strength, speed etc... you can work on it all you want but we all have our genetic limit and some people have higher limits.
I agree with that too. But especially with fast twitch kids, making them understand they will get tired. Makes helping them manage matches easier

That's what Im saying. I certainly don't want to step out of line and question an Olympic champion's heart, but it certainly seemed to me like Taylor was MUCH more prepared and better at dealing with fatigue.

I absolutely loved this match!
In many ways this match represents to me the clash of the best of both the Iranian style of wrestling versus American style wrestling. .
Can you elaborate on this? I always thought the recent Iranian wrestling style is quite similar to the USA. But thats more of a "macro" POV. What I mean is, Yazdani certainly seems to fit the hard-nosed, physical, aggressive, American style of wrestling. The thing he seemed to lack is the conditioning to make it last over the entirety of a hard-fought match and he probably doesn't cut as much weight as some 86 kilo guys.

Im not saying this is necessarily a negative though. Im sure Yazdani and his coaches have figured out that he is much better off going hard early and steamrolling opponents rather than rationing out his energy more. Its hard to argue with the results.

My impression of Yazdani is that he can be somewhat of a front runner at times (saying such only when compared relative to his peers on the world stage of course).

Since he is so dominant he rarely ever finds himself on the backfoot in adversity, but when he does get put in adversity, he doesn't always handle it as well as others have by rallying back.

He almost always scores first, but if the other guy finds a way to start clawing scores back and passes him on the board... you can probably bet the other guy will keep scoring too on a fading opponent.

That was pretty much the story of both his meetings with Taylor anyways.

Last edited:
My impression of Yazdani is that he can be somewhat of a front runner at times (saying such only when compared relative to his peers on the world stage of course).

Since he is so dominant he rarely finds himself on the backfoot in adversity, but when he does get put in adversity, he doesn't always handle it as well as others have by rallying back.

He almost always scores first, but if the other guy finds a way to start clawing scores and passes him on the board... you can probably bet the other guy will keep scoring too on a fading opponent.

That was pretty much the story of both his meetings with Taylor anyways.

Conditioning aside (which could be the main explanation), I do wonder if Yazdani maybe just lacks some resiliency when he gets down.This could just be a lack of experience dealing with losing. I think about what Taylor went through to finally make his first world team, and the fact that he's trained with / competed against guys like Burroughs, Dake and Cox on a regular basis (all world champs now). I don't care how good you are - if you consistently train with wrestlers of that caliber, you are going to get really comfortable being scored on.

So when David is down 6-2 to Yazdani at the end of the first, he's not getting feelings of self-doubt or beating himself up for giving up those points. He's just ready to get back out there and scrap.

Conditioning aside (which could be the main explanation), I do wonder if Yazdani maybe just lacks some resiliency when he gets down.This could just be a lack of experience dealing with losing. I think about what Taylor went through to finally make his first world team, and the fact that he's trained with / competed against guys like Burroughs, Dake and Cox on a regular basis (all world champs now). I don't care how good you are - if you consistently train with wrestlers of that caliber, you are going to get really comfortable being scored on.

So when David is down 6-2 to Yazdani at the end of the first, he's not getting feelings of self-doubt or beating himself up for giving up those points. He's just ready to get back out there and scrap.
I think this is true for the most part. However, I cant imagine Yazdani doesn't have access to extremely high caliber partners as well. Iran's current 79 and 92 kilo guys are both fantastic with world medals. I think an equally as important factor is DT really hitting his stride in 2017-2018 and having his mind, body, skills, training, confidence all cranking at maximum. Taylor has said the single most important thing is entire career has been moving up to 86 kilos.

Watched part 1 yesterday at work not even knowing you were a sherdogger or that this thread existed. I really enjoyed the breakdown and I've been a subscriber for a bit now. Kind of annoyed I can't watch part 2 since there is something there that won't pass through my work's internet filter yet I can watch part 1 just fine...

Back