DC vs Marvel

DC is confusing as shit. With the golden age and reboot. Marvel for the most part is consistent
Two massive reboots in the course of a decade was a mistake imo. Haven't really followed DC closely for years but every time I see something from them it looks moronic. I can't even keep track of what version some of their characters are on now.

that's not an accurate representation of Jane Foster, her Thor stories were some of the best in years. Jason Aaron did a fantastic job with her, the change was organic thanks to Original Sin and she was a fully fleshed character with realistic motivations.

Comics have to change or else they'd be horribly repetitive. I also find most of the people that bitch about supposed catering to a certain crowd aren't long time comic fans, bc long time fans know these characters change and evolve and new people step in all the time.
was there an uproar when Jim Rhodes stepped in for Iron Man?
if it's done right, they can lead to fantastic stories. The Ms. Marvel run that started her character was fantastic. She didn't replace Carol Danvers, she just took up an older mantle as Carol was Captain Marvel by then. Same with Miles Morales, arguably the best character created in the past 10-15 years.
the RiRi Williams story was lacking, but she was totally different than Tony Stark, she's a teenage genius who is learning to become a hero while Stark was at one point comatose but now he's back.

these supposed SJW characters that are supposed replacements? Show me one where the original hero isn't also being featured in stories. Odinson never left, he just lost his hammer and has been featured in stories the entire time. Stark? Even being comatose, he had an A.I. that was basically him and most stories involved the hunt for him. Bruce Banner was killed but wasn't dead for more than a year. Carol Danvers never left, Peter Parker (616) never left, etc....
no one was replaced, New characters were introduced alongside.
I'm with you, and the person I quoted in that post, in that characters need to evolve with the times, or at least it's understandable when it happens. I like writers that take chances and evolve things, so long as it's done/written well. For ex, in Star Wars, I really like that Rey's parents were junkies, and her bloodline is nothing special, but it was executed poorly. She doesn't really have an arc.

I found Jane Foster's Foster's Thor storyline underwhelming. It wasn't as bad overall as it was made out to be. What did you like about it?

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are probably the top 3 most iconic comic characters of all time. DC falls off hard after that though.

Marvel has a huge variety of characters and while only Spider-man comes close to DC's big 3, they have so many more popular characters. Movie-wise, it's not even a question. Everything Marvel touches has turned to gold and even minor characters like Ant-Man have had great and successful movies.

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are probably the top 3 most iconic comic characters of all time. DC falls off hard after that though.

Marvel has a huge variety of characters and while only Spider-man comes close to DC's big 3, they have so many more popular characters. Movie-wise, it's not even a question. Everything Marvel touches has turned to gold and even minor characters like Ant-Man have had great and successful movies.

DC stands for "dont care"

I'd argue that these days marvel actually has more iconic characters than DC does. And it stems from having a universe with real depth and fewer gimmick characters.

Iron Man, Hulk, Cap, Spidey, Strange, Punisher, The GOTG, BP etc etc, are all household names now.

I'm with you, and the person I quoted in that post, in that characters need to evolve with the times, or at least it's understandable when it happens. I like writers that take chances and evolve things, so long as it's done/written well. For ex, in Star Wars, I really like that Rey's parents were junkies, and her bloodline is nothing special, but it was executed poorly. She doesn't really have an arc.

I found Jane Foster's Foster's Thor storyline underwhelming. It wasn't as bad overall as it was made out to be. What did you like about it?

I enjoyed her personal, psychological conflict, if she keeps grabbing her hammer, Jane Foster will die and only Thor would remain as well as the War of the Realms, Aaron made Malekith a worthy villain. Her friendship with the female SHIELD agent, the drama on Asgardia with the council and Odin being a dick, etc all intrigued me. I can understand someone not liking her current run but I thought as a character, she's well developed with motives that made sense.

And I agree. I'd much rather see a writer take a risk and go in a new direction instead of having the same story of Peter Parker fighting Norman Osborne or Bruce Banner running from Thunderbolt Ross. Even if it doesn't work, at least we see a new storyline.

That's why I'll never forgive Quesada for ruining the marriage between Peter and MJ. The character had grown and evolved in a realistic, fun way and he ruined it because he wanted the same Spidey stories he had as a kid.

I'd argue that these days marvel actually has more iconic characters than DC does. And it stems from having a universe with real depth and fewer gimmick characters.

Iron Man, Hulk, Cap, Spidey, Strange, Punisher, The GOTG, BP etc etc, are all household names now.

For years Spidey was the most valuable comic IP, but after him it was all DC in rest of top four, Batman, Supes and Diana are still more valuable IPs than Thor or Iron Man. Only Cap can really compare.

For years Spidey was the most valuable comic IP, but after him it was all DC in rest of top four, Batman, Supes and Diana are still more valuable IPs than Thor or Iron Man. Only Cap can really compare.
That's a pretty vague statement. In what way are you measuring value? If you mean comic sales, I haven't followed the sales of either company in quite some time. If you're determining value by which characters are more iconic and we'll known in pop culture, then it's now Marvel and it isn't close. When I was a kid I'd agree with DC having the more iconic characters at the very top end, but that's changed a lot in the last couple decades.

DC drops off really hard after the big 3, marvel has way, way more popular characters than DC does.

That's a pretty vague statement. In what way are you measuring value? If you mean comic sales, I haven't followed the sales of either company in quite some time. If you're determining value by which characters are more iconic and we'll known in pop culture, then it's now Marvel and it isn't close. When I was a kid I'd agree with DC having the more iconic characters at the very top end, but that's changed a lot in the last couple decades.

DC drops off really hard after the big 3, marvel has way, way more popular characters than DC does.

It was an overall measurement of all merchandise and entertainment based on said IP. Clothes, toys, licensing the character for all sorts of items (for example Spider-Man stationary or Batman party decorations, etc..), media, and so on. I can't find the article, I can't remember where I read it and maybe it's outdated now but that was only a year or so ago. But the Marvel heroes have been in more big budget movies but theindividual characters, except for Cap, aren't as profitable across the board as Bats or Spidey.
Even in the comics, Batman and Spider-Man are always two of the best selling names and both have multiple titles (Detective, Batman and there's like six Spidey books) while characters like Thor or Iron Man are middling in sales.

I hope that makes more sense, and it's not coming from an area of bias, I've always been a Marvel guy.

It's like choosing between Lobster and Brussel Sprouts

It was an overall measurement of all merchandise and entertainment based on said IP. Clothes, toys, licensing the character for all sorts of items (for example Spider-Man stationary or Batman party decorations, etc..), media, and so on. I can't find the article, I can't remember where I read it and maybe it's outdated now but that was only a year or so ago. But the Marvel heroes have been in more big budget movies but theindividual characters, except for Cap, aren't as profitable across the board as Bats or Spidey.
Even in the comics, Batman and Spider-Man are always two of the best selling names and both have multiple titles (Detective, Batman and there's like six Spidey books) while characters like Thor or Iron Man are middling in sales.

I hope that makes more sense, and it's not coming from an area of bias, I've always been a Marvel guy.
Was just curious what you were basing it on, if it was comics or merch or what have you. I could see them leading in that category just based on the insane amount of superman and batman merch.

Was just curious what you were basing it on, if it was comics or merch or what have you. I could see them leading in that category just based on the insane amount of superman and batman merch.

I've been looking for the article but can't seem to locate it, it factored in all that merchandising stuff plus toys and the like. In pop culture, heroes like Thor and Iron Man have became super relevant but they don't move merchandise like the Bat or Supes. It may change over time, hell who had heard of Star-Lord or Groot before 2012? I knew them some from the comics, Quill was a major part of the Annihilation and Phalanx events and Gamora was a member of the Infinity Watch and had been around for years but they were basically nobodies and now they're uber popular.

I've been looking for the article but can't seem to locate it, it factored in all that merchandising stuff plus toys and the like. In pop culture, heroes like Thor and Iron Man have became super relevant but they don't move merchandise like the Bat or Supes. It may change over time, hell who had heard of Star-Lord or Groot before 2012? I knew them some from the comics, Quill was a major part of the Annihilation and Phalanx events and Gamora was a member of the Infinity Watch and had been around for years but they were basically nobodies and now they're uber popular.
thats interesting does it also count international markets.

Currently I live overseas and from what I have noticed here is that the MCU is really the driving force for all things superhero. For example my cousins kids didn’t even know Superman was an alien but they have seen all the iron man multiple times. His son even chose the English name Tony to be more like iron man.

Flash is the most powerful character, hopefully his movie will be done well.

thats interesting does it also count international markets.

Currently I live overseas and from what I have noticed here is that the MCU is really the driving force for all things superhero. For example my cousins kids didn’t even know Superman was an alien but they have seen all the iron man multiple times. His son even chose the English name Tony to be more like iron man.

Yeah it did, it's one of the reasons Spidey was #1. Apparently internationally (especially in Central and South America) Spidey is super popular and by far the most profitable super hero. I wish I could find the story, I know it sounds as if I'm making shit up, the article went in to detail about how much Spidey brought in internationally and how his likeness brought in incredible revenue.

I found the article @Mike:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...able-superhero-and-its-not-even-close-a111109

It's a little older than I remembered, 2014, but it provides some neat insight. Here's another from THR:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

Spidey was bringing in over $1.3 billion/year in 2014, so I'm sure it's risen now.
@zapataxiv, internationally it looks like Spidey brought in almost $900M-$1B in merchandising revenue in 2013 alone himself, he is extremely profitable around the world. Those links are a cool glimpse behind the curtain.

Comics : Tie
Movies : Marvel
Animation : DC

Back