DC's BLACK LIGHTNING (Premieres January 16, 2018; New Trailer Released)

I for one am glad they went with someone older. Tired of these kid-looking motherfuckers taking up all the screen-time.

Plus, if they are going for "long-time retired, now a family man" it makes much more sense, especially if his kid is gonna be a high schooler or whatever.

Looking forward to this.
I like it. Most of the other Berlanti hero shows feel too young and hip. An older retired hero trying to do right by his kid and the young one he mentors. Could be the non cheese show the CW has been looking for.

Please lord, have them follow the Daredevil template.
I also like the veteran/retired route they're taking.

Knowing Berlanti, the show will eventually have a Team Lightning consisting of a crimefighting sidekick(s) and a computer whiz.

I also feel Marvel casting Jamie Foxx as Electro was a shot at D.C. And Black Lightning. Like, Haha, we brought Black Lightning to the screen before you.
IMG_0805.JPG

I also like the veteran/retired route they're taking.

Knowing Berlanti, the show will eventually have a Team Lightning consisting of a crimefighting sidekick(s) and a computer whiz.

Yup. His kid manifests her powers and the bright young star is the computer genius.

Berlanti has an archetype, lol.

I still like it if the people are likeable enough.

This casting has me at odds. I was sooooo hoping they'd cast a Samoan trans actor for the part, but sadly they took the easy route.

I'm literally shaking.

Black Lightning is known more for being part of Batman's Outsiders team back in the 80s.

Only thing I have involving him in Final Crisis when he shows up for a bit and I have no clue what was going on.

Then again he tends to get a good spot in the cool group images.
wallpaper-231940.jpg

Never read anything related to the character. Guess i'l watch the pilot. If it's Flash like (campy and cliche) then i'll watch it. If it's Supergirl like, hard pass...

Error, double post. See post below.

Update: March 2, 2017

Nafessa Williams and China Anne McCain Cast as BLACK LIGHTNING's Daughters

6dfXs0a.jpg

Nafessa Williams (Code Black) and China Anne McClain (House of Payne) have landed leads opposite Cress Williams in Black Lightning, the CW’s DC drama pilot from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, and the Being Mary Jane duo of Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.

Written by Akil and Brock Akil, based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden, and to be directed by Akil, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce (Williams). He made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter, Jennifer (McCain) hellbent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

McCain plays Jefferson’s younger daughter, the teenage Jennifer Piere, an independent, outspoken scholar-athlete with a wild streak of her own. Williams is Anissa Pierce — passionate and quick-witted, Jefferson’s twenty-something daughter balances the demands of medical school with her job teaching part-time at her father’s school.

In the DC comics, Anissa and Jennifer follow in their father’s footsteps and become superheroes, taking on the names of Thunder and Lightning, respectively.

McClain is best known as music prodigy Chyna Parks in Disney Channel’s series A.N.T. Farm and as the feisty Jazmine Payne in the Tyler Perry sitcom House of Payne. She recently wrapped the Lionsgate/WWE Studios film Brother’s Blood opposite Trey Songz, and stars in Disney Channel’s upcoming Descendants 2.

Williams, who had a major recurring role on CBS’ medical drama Code Black this season, will next be seen in Showtime’s Twin Peaks reboot.

‘Black Lightning’: Nafessa Williams & China Anne McClain To Star As Jefferson’s Daughters In the CW Pilot

Only thing I have involving him in Final Crisis when he shows up for a bit and I have no clue what was going on.

Then again he tends to get a good spot in the cool group images.
wallpaper-231940.jpg

Is that Alex Ross' artwork? The man has sick skills:cool:

Is that Alex Ross' artwork? The man has sick skills:cool:

Yes it is. Not really digging his current Marvel covers, but his DC run is legendary to me.

Also, I'm glad they are bringing him to the forefront again. With DC looking like they want to keep Green Lantern as Hal Jordan instead of John Stewart, this will give DC the chance to headline a black superhero to compete with Luke Cage. Plus, multiple GL's in the same sector are dumb to me.

Update: March 2, 2017

Nafessa Williams and China Anne McCain Cast as BLACK LIGHTNING's Daughters

Nafessa-Williams-China-Anne-McClain-Black-Lightning-Dragonlord.jpg

Nafessa Williams (Code Black) and China Anne McClain (House of Payne) have landed leads opposite Cress Williams in Black Lightning, the CW’s DC drama pilot from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, and the Being Mary Jane duo of Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.

Written by Akil and Brock Akil, based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden, and to be directed by Akil, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce (Williams). He made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter, Jennifer (McCain) hellbent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

McCain plays Jefferson’s younger daughter, the teenage Jennifer Piere, an independent, outspoken scholar-athlete with a wild streak of her own. Williams is Anissa Pierce — passionate and quick-witted, Jefferson’s twenty-something daughter balances the demands of medical school with her job teaching part-time at her father’s school.

In the DC comics, Anissa and Jennifer follow in their father’s footsteps and become superheroes, taking on the names of Thunder and Lightning, respectively.

McClain is best known as music prodigy Chyna Parks in Disney Channel’s series A.N.T. Farm and as the feisty Jazmine Payne in the Tyler Perry sitcom House of Payne. She recently wrapped the Lionsgate/WWE Studios film Brother’s Blood opposite Trey Songz, and stars in Disney Channel’s upcoming Descendants 2.

Williams, who had a major recurring role on CBS’ medical drama Code Black this season, will next be seen in Showtime’s Twin Peaks reboot.

‘Black Lightning’: Nafessa Williams & China Anne McClain To Star As Jefferson’s Daughters In the CW Pilot
I don't really like this casting. Not because of the women themselves (I've never seen either of them before so can't judge their acting abilities) but because of the ages. The actresses are 27 and 18 and it sounds like the characters will be about that same age. Thing is, we've gotten more than enough of stories and angst from this age group from the other CW DC shows. Having them be younger, more like 10 & 14, would have given a much different set of story options that we haven't seen yet on these shows. Having Pierce trying to cope with children with powers and how to temper their own hero urges is a lot different than having two adult daughters who get powers.

Maybe it's a matter of logistics, especially due to the franchise element of the MCU. It's kind of the double-edged sword with young actors. You want them to grow up, but you don't want them to look too different nor do you want a wrinkled fat version of the same thing either.

ariel-winter-before-after.jpg

jonathan-taylor-thomas-and-after.jpg

Update: March 10, 2017

Christine Adams to Co-Star Opposite Cress Williams in BLACK LIGHTNING

seicQGq.jpg

Christine Adams is set for a co-starring role opposite Cress Williams, Nafessa Williams and China Anne McClain in Black Lightning, the CW’s DC drama pilot from Greg Berlanti, Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.

Adams will play Lynn, Jefferson’s ex-wife who exudes confidence and intelligence. Although she’s got a mischievous side, she’s not one to be trifled with when it comes to family.

Adams appeared in features including The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Tron: Legacy. On TV, she most recently played the series-regular role of Rie Moran on AMC’s Feed the Beast. She also played Agent Weaver on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and co-starred in Terra Nova.

‘Black Lightning’: Christine Adams Cast As Jefferson’s Ex-Wife Lynn In the CW Pilot

Update: March 29, 2017

First Official Look at Cress Williams as BLACK LIGHTNING; Filming Has Begun

black-lightning-first-look-image-987366.jpg

With prodcution currently underway in Atlanta, The CW has released the first look at Hart of Dixie alum Cress Williams as Black Lightning, the latest DC Comics character to get his own TV series produced by Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash).

The costume for Black Lightning was designed by Laura Jean Shannon, whose many film and television credits include the upcoming Jumanji sequel, The Jungle Book, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Blade: Trinity, Good Girls Revolt and Iron Man, for which she was nominated for a Costume Designers Guild Award.

It incorporates elements of the classic comic book look, along with the leather-and-armor aesthetic common to The CW's DC Universe shows and high-tech elements that appear to be microcircuitry a la Batman Beyond.

First Look at The CW's Black Lightning As Filming Begins

Back