Deadlifts and squats same day.

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about hitting deadlifts and squats on the same day?

I'm almost a month in but I haven't lifted weights in close to 6 years prior to that, although I've been doing various martial arts and fighting MMA so im already in pretty good condition.

My main goals are to increase strength, specifically core and lower body, improve posture, and improve my physique.

I'm only lifting 2 days a week, so i figured i would hit both of those lifts both days. Most of my workout is dedicated to preforming these two lifts. Usually the last half hour of my workout is body weight stuff. Pullups, pushups, etc.

It's fine. Especially at the beginning. Starting strength has you doing deadlifts and squats in the same workout 1-2 times a week.

Since you are only lifting twice a week. With the workouts spread out enough I see no real issue with doing both. Maybe switch which one you do first on alternating days.

It's fine. Especially at the beginning. Starting strength has you doing deadlifts and squats in the same workout 1-2 times a week.

Since you are only lifting twice a week. With the workouts spread out enough I see no real issue with doing both. Maybe switch which one you do first on alternating days.
I squat and deadlift in the same session 2x a week. The key is managing volume and intensity. Always squat before you deadlift.

How do you guys feel about hitting deadlifts and squats on the same day?

I'm almost a month in but I haven't lifted weights in close to 6 years prior to that, although I've been doing various martial arts and fighting MMA so im already in pretty good condition.

My main goals are to increase strength, specifically core and lower body, improve posture, and improve my physique.

I'm only lifting 2 days a week, so i figured i would hit both of those lifts both days. Most of my workout is dedicated to preforming these two lifts. Usually the last half hour of my workout is body weight stuff. Pullups, pushups, etc.

2 days a week? You'll have plenty of time to recover between sessions or if you do them a day apart, between weeks.

Given your goals, in 2 days/week, I'd likely do one heavy and the other as accessory on one day, and vice versa on the other day.

I do a variation of either movement during the same workout twice a week. If it’s back squat day I do rdls for volume after, or if it’s deadlift day I do pin squats or something

2 days a week? You'll have plenty of time to recover between sessions or if you do them a day apart, between weeks.

He's also fighting MMA. Ask him if he could beat up a young Tyson. Srs.

I squat and deadlift in the same session 2x a week. The key is managing volume and intensity. Always squat before you deadlift.

Yep 100%. Some of my best deadlifts were right aftert squats.

I've done it, back when I was trying a specific training program of Squats/Bench/Deads, low rep, 3x a week. However, as you creep up in weights, on the squat in particular, you are not going to be fresh enough to dead anything decent, at least as much as what you could on a dedicated day.

I switched to the 9 week Russian template prior to my first, one and only PL meet, and it worked. It's

A. Squat/Bench
B. Deads
A. Squat/Bench

Do a hybrid now since I don't plan to compete again. Trap bar deads all the way.

I do deadlifts immediately followed by front squats and overhead presses all in the same movement, but then realized I was doing clean and jerks

Next week I am starting a program like that. Most modern workouts I be seen include Squats and DL on same day.

I've done it, back when I was trying a specific training program of Squats/Bench/Deads, low rep, 3x a week. However, as you creep up in weights, on the squat in particular, you are not going to be fresh enough to dead anything decent, at least as much as what you could on a dedicated day.

I switched to the 9 week Russian template prior to my first, one and only PL meet, and it worked. It's

A. Squat/Bench
B. Deads
A. Squat/Bench

Do a hybrid now since I don't plan to compete again. Trap bar deads all the way.
Not true. Ive hit a ton of deadlift prs after squatting heavy. You are deadlifting depleted (which mimics a powerlifting meet) but on the other hand you've primed the nervous system.

I see its been answered already, but I also deadlift right after squatting. As long as you aren't testing 1rm on the squats, I've had no issues, still feel strong on the DLs.

Back