Dealing with flexible people who can stay stacked

spiderguarda

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What are some good ways to pass their guards when they post their legs behind their back?
I know some techniques but I find them to be limited and therefore the person who can remain stacked can easily take their time to use inverted guard techniques to try to get a sleeve grip to triangle or arm at me. My position relative to them is from let’s say double spider guard and I push both their ankles over their heads.

I’m better when I’m on the opposite side where I can pin both ankles down and their face is upside down when I’m looking down at them. The standard inverted guard player position where they invert and stay inverted. Here, at worst, they can bail out and invert to face you.

If they insist on staying stacked you could go for the back.

If they insist on staying stacked you could go for the back.

Thanks for the video. I didn’t see that one. Problem I have when someone posts both legs out with their feet on the mat so it’s like a tripod. I have both hands at their ankles to prevent them from turtling. The only technique that’s common is to move to the side, staple one leg down with your shin and grab the far side leg into a leg drag. Guys know this and there’s a back take technique where you dive under the back of their legs and get up in leg drag position due to your leg positioning.

Not sure if it makes sense.

Here’s Cobrinha but he doesn’t pin the ankles to the mat

There are a number of things you can do.

You can use a leg ride to come up into a leg drag or attack the back:

You can cross their knees past each other to pass to side:

Or just roll him all the way over to attack a front headlock or bodylock.

Last edited:
Do you ever try to wedge your twister hook in there?

That's a fun one that I usually go for.

I generally just switch to a leg drag Mendes style.

Drive through until they turtle. That's what I prefer at least. I seem to burn a lot of energy trying to force a pass to side control against someone that can hang out upside down with pressure on them all day. A lot of times they make it to turtle anyways so I'd rather just take them there on my times. If they do that I try to drive through until they start to end up in turtle and I like to attack straight for the back with seatbelts or clock chokes, or slide into guillotine or brabo chokes. The crucifix is a good attack too but I just don't do it as much. The clock choke option is obviously gone when you take the gi off but your guillotine and brabo attacks become easier. This is a common strategy no gi and some folks don't like it in the gi but I use it in both.

Back