Dealing with Hooks

Towel88

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So training at an MMA gym and my coach doesn't really like rolls as it leaves you open to knees and clinches.

Unlike straights you cant really slip hooks,

I can pull them ok,

parry counters aren't too great off hooks for me either, as the parry motion brings your elbow up to your jaw and makes one unable to fire back quickly with that same hand.

I've noticed yesterday that my habit of relying on footwork, head movement, stiff arms, hand position and shoulder rolls, has totally had me refrain from almost ever shelling up, noticed this when I knew this kid was going to throw a hook as i came in but couldn't block and counter successfully each time even though I knew he was going to do it.

Do i need to really focus on my shell or what do you guys like to deal with hooks?

So training at an MMA gym and my coach doesn't really like rolls as it leaves you open to knees and clinches.

I can pull them ok,

parry counters aren't too great off hooks for me either, as the parry motion brings your elbow up to your jaw and makes one unable to fire back quickly with that same hand.

I've noticed yesterday that my habit of relying on footwork, head movement, stiff arms, hand position and shoulder rolls, has totally had me refrain from almost ever shelling up, noticed this when I knew this kid was going to throw a hook as i came in but couldn't block and counter successfully each time even though I knew he was going to do it.

Do i need to really focus on my shell or what do you guys like to deal with hooks?
Take a step back. ;)

Srly, a hook is close range, just step / pivot / dodge / lean / GTFO and you're safe.

Block and clinch up

If they body hook counter with elbows. I like using uppercuts as a counter to this too

I can pull them ok,

Yes weaving hooks can leave you open to knees, but that has to be precisely timed and set up with a faint = counter knees are not really a good enough argument to not use head movement to defend hooks, you're going to be on the receiving end of far more punches than knees. Set up a plan to develop good head movement, it will make your striking more effective, and it will make your MMA wrestling more effective as well.

Parry a hook?

Block and same side counter. You have to set slightly into the hook when you block to effectively counter off the same side.

Out blocks like they use in karate. Very effective, and allows your to transition right into the pummel.

Back